USB Flash Drive Camera

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peter_stanley

Reaction score
Has anyone tried one of USB flash drive cameras sold on eBay? They have the same profile as a thumb drive, with the camera pointing out one end, which makes it ideal. I've used the keychain cameras with good success, and I think this is probably the same thing, or similar. It does have motion detection too, which may or may not work well on the pad. From looking at the pics, it appears that motion detection can be toggled on or off. I've attached a screen grab to show what it looks like, but here's a link for more information https://www.ebay.com/itm/U10-US-Spy-Mini-USB-Flash-Drive-DVR-Hidden-Motion-Detect-Video-Record-Camera-DV-/261097234179?pt=US_Surveillance_Digital_Video_Recorders_Cards&hash=item3cca9b9f03
I'm thinking about buying one, but was curious if anyone else tried one already.

thanks,

Peter
flashdrive.jpg

Just ordered one-will report back. LA not that far away-should be here soon! Fingers crossed! Thanks for posting the link, Peter!

nice find! I like the form factor a lot more than the keychain camera. this one should be easier to tape to a bt. shipped from the us, too.

please keep use updated!

Yes that does look like an interesting camera... smaller than the 808 keyfobs that's for sure...

I WOULD recommend a cap for the USB port though... dirt, dust, grass, and other flight landing detritus getting in there wouldn't be good...

Later! OL JR :)

Yes that does look like an interesting camera... smaller than the 808 keyfobs that's for sure...

I WOULD recommend a cap for the USB port though... dirt, dust, grass, and other flight landing detritus getting in there wouldn't be good...

it looks like it comes with an aerodynamic usb cap:

$(KGrHqN,!rQE88hJMD3cBPhR6K)YI!~~60_12.JPG

:D

Naww- I'd just wind up flying my lighter on the most exciting flight ever and then breaking the camera trying to refill the lense opening.....

VERY tempting. some relavant info from the description:

Resolution: 720x480 @25-30fps AVI
Recording Space
-Video : About 680MB/30Minutes
Storage: MicroSD Card up to 32GB (Not included)
Built-in Mic
Dimensions (L x W x H): 75 x 26 x 12 (mm)
Unit weight: 19g

From what people have said on the RC Groups forums, the picture quality and frame rates of the lighter cams, pen cams, and some of the others just isn't anywhere near as good as the keyfob cams... different camera guts I guess...

The sunglasses cams have pretty good reports (if one wanted to hack the camera out of them) and I'm very curious about how this one turns out... hope it's excellent!

Well, if everyone is doing it, I'm in for one, too. Assuming it gets here in time, I'll use it on my L1 certification flight.

(And yes I probably would jump off that cliff - assuming an appropriate amount deep water at the bottom or some apparatus to slow my decent.)

Of course, now that I think about it, I should have bought 2. Then I could mount them 180° from each other on the rocket. One pointing forward and the other aft.

Hmmm. I think I'll wait and see what the video quality is like first. (yeah -that's how I'll justify the decision to get only one.)

I wouldn't think pointing forward would be all that interesting. if you were jonesing for two different views, I'd think looking out the side would be better. of course you'd want a camera that looked more like this:

MD80_%2815%29.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-DV-Ca...tal_Video_Recorders_Cards&hash=item2576a4012c

probably right - but I'm not going to bid on that one. It might be $0.99 - but the shipping is too high.

I'm not recommending any of these vendors. that just happened to be the one I grabbed the pic from.

The estimated delivery on mine is showing the 26th. Maybe it'll be here sooner than that.

My estimated delivery is 10/23/12 - 10/29/12. So it could show up today.

I'll be sure to post some sample video once it arrives.

Mine arrived today. (While I was out at lunch, of course.)

First thing I did was pull the 2gb media card out of my phone (that I never use) and take a couple of upside-down pictures. Then I figured out which end was up and labled it, so I wouldn't do that again.

PICT0001.jpg PICT0002.jpg PICT0003.jpg

Then I took it outside and got a couple more pictures and a test video

PICT0013.jpg PICT0014.jpg

(video in next post...)

That looks like the Cisco campus, but, so do many places around the Bay Area.

Also - just in case anyone is curious, it appears that you do need a MicroSD card for this thing to work. (Not included - as stated on the ebay page.)

Received my USB camera today... works ok.

Need to put in micro SD Card first.... try without and crashed my laptop x4 (slower learner).

Instructions pdf on mini-CD are labeled U10, Uxx, etc several other manuals on mini-CD.

Should be easier to tape this to my rockets that keyfob camera I have due to placement of buttons. I was always afraid I'd power off the keyfob one when I taped d

Back