Rocket Tracker

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can legally push one watt at 900 mhx without a ham ticket.

Not really but fortunately for all of us the FCC is not compulsively enforcing part 95 regulations.

A Ham license is cheaper than type certifying your intentional radiator to meet Part 95.

A device which includes a FCC certified module still must be type certified as a system to meet part 95.

the astro has been reported to cause problems with some altimiters. when trying it in a new sled motor backup is required. then down load the alt and see what happened. with this type of problem a slower baud rate will often allow for good data between the transmit burst.

I have tried the Astro with Perfect Flight, Copilot 2, and Parrot. No problems yet. I will watch closer and see if the data is ok.

Not really but fortunately for all of us the FCC is not compulsively enforcing part 95 regulations.

A Ham license is cheaper than type certifying your intentional radiator to meet Part 95.

A device which includes a FCC certified module still must be type certified as a system to meet part 95.

cool did not know that. but have a question. if my certified base station, can be plugged into any computer, with any 12 volt dc supply. what is the difference with the modules. is it the lack of a regulated power supply.

i tried to read part 95, but like most gov regs, i got lost in it. what section pertains to this? and i thought the faa rules where bad the fcc seems even worse.

thanks for the info

Rick,

I had a typo, it is Part 15 rules (i new it had a 5 in their somewhere).

Here is the link if you want to pour over it. https://www.fcc.gov/oet/info/rules/part15/PART15_07-10-08.pdf

But here is the good news:
Section 15.23 Home-built devices.
(a) Equipment authorization is not required for devices that are not marketed, are not constructed from a kit, and are built in quantities of five or less for personal use.
(b) It is recognized that the individual builder of home-built equipment may not possess the means to perform the measurements for determining compliance with the regulations. In this case, the builder is expected to employ good engineering practices to meet the specified technical standards to the greatest extent practicable. The provisions of Section 15.5 apply to this equipment.

So if you are experimenting and making stuff for yourself you are ok legally.

I do not have an answer to your question. Perhaps if you hook a pre-approved part 15 computer to a pre-approved rf module you're ok.

cool did not know that. but have a question. if my certified base station, can be plugged into any computer, with any 12 volt dc supply. what is the difference with the modules. is it the lack of a regulated power supply.

i tried to read part 95, but like most gov regs, i got lost in it. what section pertains to this? and i thought the faa rules where bad the fcc seems even worse.

thanks for the info

j
thanks for the link, i will have to look at it.

i am continuing testing, the xbee simple board from droids is not for battery usage. the voltage regulator drops out at 4.7 volts. but will be swapping with the spark fun unit with a 3.3 volt drop out.

the current problem is the battery life. no that is not a pun it is just life. voltage regulators are the most efficient if the input volts are as close to the output volts as capable. as the gps and the xbee require a 3.3 volt power a 3.7 volt lipo would be the most efficent battery. if the voltage regulator can handle it. i an currently powering a 3.3 volt device with a nine volt battery. this is bad for many reasons.

First i am pulling about 300 ma from the battery. but since a nine volt is only good for about 500 mahrs. i am getting about an hour and a half with these batteries. i am also getting battery heating.

i plan to switch to a single cell lipo aa at 2400 mahrs this should give me about six hrs of run time or better.

base station is complete, total cost less then 100 dollars.

flight unit is ready, but battery power is still a problem, expect this issue resolved within the next two weeks.

upon succesful flight testing, will present how to here.

Back