estes bertha idle question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rex R

LV2
Reaction score
so Estes has/has had, a mini, baby, and a big bertha...ever wonder if they had just a regular bertha? :)
rex

Even chuck norris couldnt open the package... so the "normal" bertha never made it pass research and design

I gather you have all your rockets done Rex? I think I might have built a "regular" Bertha and not even realized it. My triathalon rocket from last year is right between the baby and the big - I always referred to it as "Medium Bertha" before today.

just got through papering a set of fins(and can't do a thing with them :))...for my avenger so I'm currently waiting till monday so I can start glueing fins on :).
just a guess, methinks a med. bertha would be approx 18" long.
rex

considering the the 'super bigb'(hmm I missed one) uses iirc bt80...a mega might have to be hpr :).
rex

Might look a little something like this, but a titch longer.
017.jpg

considering the the 'super bigb'(hmm I missed one) uses iirc bt80...a mega might have to be hpr :).
rex

proseriesIII then?

All this time i thought the upscale versions were scratch built

at the moment most of the upscaled bb are scratch built the sbb is out of production. however you can clone one with parts from semroc...bnc80bb($12.50) etc. the hard part is finding a nose cone. if memory serves bms has a 3" version...and of course sandman can turn one fer ya.
rex

As for your original question, Rex: no, but they had her brother, who went by the name of Ranger.

I have seen posts about Berthas from every size from MMX (BT-5), Mini (BT-20), Midi (BT-50 or 55), Traditional BB (BT-70), Super BB (BT-80), Maxi (BT-101) and Megas (bigger than 4.0").

I have seen posts about Berthas from every size from MMX (BT-5), Mini (BT-20), Midi (BT-50 or 55), Traditional BB (BT-70), Super BB (BT-80), Maxi (BT-101) and Megas (bigger than 4.0").
The K-23/1223 "traditional" Big Bertha has a BT-60 airframe, not BT-70.

I mentioned the Estes K-6 Ranger ("Astron Ranger"), which was the first model rocket with a cluster of motors that was offered as a kit when it came out in 1963. Vern Estes then created a new model by taking the Ranger design and substituting a single motor mount for the cluster and eliminating the payload section (but incorporating the length of it into the airframe). He introduced the new model in 1965 as the Astron Big Bertha (K-23). It is still in production, the current version being #1948.

Not mentioned so far is the #2093 Broadsword (1994-1996), which was essentially the Super Big Bertha with a different color scheme and decal. The #2021 Rascal (1990-1991) bore a vague resemblance to the subsequent Baby Bertha, but was almost an inch longer and had different fins. We could call it a "cousin" of Ranger/Big Bertha, related but not a direct descendent.

The Semroc SLS Brighton is an upscaled Ranger (or Big Bertha) that is flown on mid power motors (either a cluster of 4x18mm or 3x24mm or a single motor). Semroc also produces a Retro-Repro version of the Astron Ranger.

The venerable Ranger/Big Bertha design is iconic and it has remained popular since its introduction very early in the history of the hobby. Many great rocket designs have been based on it.

Last edited:
I think a 4" MEGA Bertha would fly fine on an F or G motor. Keeping the weight under 1500 grams looks like the real issue.

I would be the first in line to purchase multiple Mega Berthas if one was introduced. C'mon Estes, you know you want to.

Last edited:
The Broadsword was introduced as an option for the new Estes E15 motors, as Mark2 said it was a relabled SBB.

I lost my Broadsword and my Shadow to E15 catos along with many other nice larger rockets.

There are a few vendors that sell large elliptical nosecones from 3.1 to 7.67 inches. A four inch cone goes for about 30 bucks IIRC. A 44 inch piece of Blutube and some plywood and viola! Mega Big Bertha!

I think Estes would do well with a Mega Big Bertha kit. The BB is a kit that most of us had as a kid and the nostalgia appeal is high. IMO nothing is as cool as a Big Bertha at liftoff and a Mega Big Bertha would be Mega cool!

The Broadsword was introduced as an option for the new Estes E15 motors, as Mark2 said it was a relabled SBB.

I lost my Broadsword and my Shadow to E15 catos along with many other nice larger rockets.

There are a few vendors that sell large elliptical nosecones from 3.1 to 7.67 inches. A four inch cone goes for about 30 bucks IIRC. A 44 inch piece of Blutube and some plywood and viola! Mega Big Bertha!

I think Estes would do well with a Mega Big Bertha kit. The BB is a kit that most of us had as a kid and the nostalgia appeal is high. IMO nothing is as cool as a Big Bertha at liftoff and a Mega Big Bertha would be Mega cool!

Mini Max... der Red Max... Mega Max...

Baby Bertha... Big Bertha... SBB/Mega Bertha

just sounds right... i hope a certain someone from estes sees these posts

Right,

Alpha ... Super Alpha ... Maxi Alpha

Mosquito ... Mega Mosquito

I would not be at all surprised to see a Pro Series II Bertha somewhere down the road. BUT ... there are plenty of other good candidates from Estes' back catalog too. A Mega Bertha might be a bit ungainly to kit, although it would be a fairly easy scratch project.

Last edited:
at the moment most of the upscaled bb are scratch built the sbb is out of production. however you can clone one with parts from semroc...bnc80bb($12.50) etc. the hard part is finding a nose cone. if memory serves bms has a 3" version...and of course sandman can turn one fer ya.
rex

Rex,
Estes still produces the plastic nose cone part no. ESTT3168 for the BT80. I have a few in my hobby shop.

Back