Khap Suhl - Any bets?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stealth6

insert witty tagline here
Reaction score
For your consideration, I present to you my latest creation - Khap Suhl.

It's a bit........ahh.......unusual.

Specs: 2.6" Loc airframe, 28" long, x-mas ornament nose & tail cones, AC ply fins on carbon fiber struts, Slimline retainer.
29mm motor mount, RockSim tells me 800'-1600' on Fs/Gs, 2000' and up if I dare to mount an H or bigger in there.

Had to put in a fair amount of nose weight to make it stable, weights about 16oz. dry.

Any bets on how (or whether) she'll fly?

s6

P1020740.jpgP1020766.jpgP1020749.jpg

I'm amazed at the stuff you come up with! If it flies as great as it looks, you'll be in business!

Alex

I bet those fins flutter. I hope I'm wrong and it flys as good as it looks.

IMHO that should fly just fine. However, I would be VERY reluctant to fly that with any sort of velocity even if the struts are CF. It's a neat concept and one I have never seen before.

OK, Now that I've picked my jaw off the ground---very nice--very original---I too, am a little worried about flutter but I say --go for it!!!

I don't hint the fins will flutter at all. I think they'll jiggle....or maybe shimmy.

Will it fly?.......Absolutely!~Beautiful!!!!!!
I like them thar xmas ornaments for making pieces parts for rockets.
Cannt wait for them to start stocking them in the Dollar Store for the season.

Success!

Khap Suhl flew just fine this morning. Better yet, it landed with zero damage. Sweet.
I used an F40W hobby line which simmed at about 830', which seemed about right. I perhaps should have used something with a bit more initial thrust as it came off the rod at a bit of an angle, but otherwise it flew great. Used a pretty large chute to have a better chance at an easy landing - was the right choice.

Alex (aksrockets) got video and still pics - hopefully he will post them here when he has the time.

s6

Last edited:
Ive got the rest of the day for video editing!
Pic isnt the best. Great flight though...
DSC04380 - Version 2.jpg
I'll post the vid later.

Alex

DANG IT! I spelled the name wrong in the video.
I'll have to change that...
[YOUTUBE]uHtg9x9oMuU[/YOUTUBE]

Alex

Back