MEGA RED MAX online now @ Hobbylinc

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Not in Stock, due late October, 2012 " - Do not be afraid to pre-order as those who do pre-order will get the entire first shipment of these. They will arrive and leave the Hobbylinc warehouse without the 'in stock' status changing. If folks wait for them to have a sitting inventory it will be a while.

Especially at that price!

Gotta get me one of these!

Wasn't there some flap about them not having the white nose decal for X882 or somesuch? I wonder if Gordy or Mark will run a special on just that one decal to complete the look...

The nose decal (and all the rest for that matter) are there. I just opened mine, got a couple from AC Supply.

This is awesome, just gonna have to wait a week or so, going for L2 tomorrow and need a motor first!! LOL

OK ,I will admit it ,I was never a big fan of this rocket :blush:

But you know what ,I was wrong.........it is a pretty cool looking rocket and the decals are too cool.

I need this one ,no doubt about it.

Paul T

OK ,I will admit it ,I was never a big fan of this rocket :blush:

But you know what ,I was wrong.........it is a pretty cool looking rocket and the decals are too cool.

I need this one ,no doubt about it.

Paul T

I don't know about the others here, but I'd love to see you do a fantasy-scale super-detailing job on it. :wink:

I don't know about the others here, but I'd love to see you do a fantasy-scale super-detailing job on it. :wink:

I would just keep it stock and as a flyer ,as I think the original paint scheme and cool looking decals are the way to go ,although I`ll probably overbuild the kit with scads of epoxy :eyeroll:

Besides ,I`m getting lazy these days LOL

I can hardly wait for it to get up here in Canada !

Paul T

"Not in Stock, due late October, 2012 " - Do not be afraid to pre-order as those who do pre-order will get the entire first shipment of these. They will arrive and leave the Hobbylinc warehouse without the 'in stock' status changing. If folks wait for them to have a sitting inventory it will be a while.

Especially at that price!

Yeah, unless you get it from AC supply the pre order is the way to go. I was a bit disappointed, though, when I pre ordered two of the Dark Energy kits VERY early last Spring and yet I found one at Hobbytown before I got mine from Hobbylinc.

I'm in the middle of building one. It's a great kit.

However something tells me the 7 second delays for the recommended G motors will be a bit long.

Thanks for the reply Donald!

Could you describe how the fins go together? Haven't opening mine yet but the fins look weird to me, wondering how they go together.

Hi Greg

This kit has three piece fins. The main core piece is light ply with lightening holes in them to reduce the overall weight. Then if you're wondering what all that balsa sheeting is for, that is for laminating the fins. You take two of those pieces and glue them together lengthwise.

Then you trace the core piece outline onto this balsa sheet and cut it out and attach it to the fin to cover up the holes.

I went a step further and applied a thin film of glue along all edges to seal them and to prevent possible delamination.

Thanks again Donald, was afraid it was something like this.

Going to have to open it up and see what else might be done instead, hate multi-part fins. Mine might not be able to fly in the MP range after all.

Same fin design as the mega mosquito it sounds. The only hassle there was keeping the edges aligned. Honestly any uneven edges were rounded off easily for the mosquito.

If I can do it, anyone can.

I wasn't going to get this, even though I loved the original rocket but now I may get one an put a 38mm mount in it and scrap the fins for some 3/16 ply. hummm?

TA

I wasn't going to get this, even though I loved the original rocket but now I may get one an put a 38mm mount in it and scrap the fins for some 3/16 ply. hummm?

TA

That`s exactly what i was thinking !!

Paul T

The kit fins come out 3/8 inch thick. The balsa sheeting supplied is 16 lb./cu. ft. density. Those fins are STOUT.

I concur with questioning the 7 second recommended delays for the G40/80. But I'll try to sim the thing in OpenRocket, with measured weights, before I actually fly it.

Estes (Aerotech) G80 motors have an absurdly huge total impulse and therfore are not available in any shorter delay than 7 seconds because even a maximum weight Model Rocket (3.3 pounds lift off weight) would still need close to 7 seconds of coasting time.

The actual tested delay time is 5.88 seconds https://www.nar.org/SandT/pdf/Estes/G80T.pdf

The G40-7 will probably eject just after apogee, unless you launch it in high winds and/or angled too far from vertical.

I'm in the middle of building one. It's a great kit.

However something tells me the 7 second delays for the recommended G motors will be a bit long.

I just ordered one, looking forward to building it. The original version has been a favorite with my kids.

Has anyone put a 38mm motor tube in this thing yet? May require some nose weight, but should work well...

Estes (Aerotech) G80 motors have an absurdly huge total impulse and therfore are not available in any shorter delay than 7 seconds because even a maximum weight Model Rocket (3.3 pounds lift off weight) would still need close to 7 seconds of coasting time.

The actual tested delay time is 5.88 seconds https://www.nar.org/SandT/pdf/Estes/G80T.pdf

The G40-7 will probably eject just after apogee, unless you launch it in high winds and/or angled too far from vertical.

Thanks for the insight, Fred.

I'm in the middle of fillet installations on mine. It may or may not be ready to try it at a launch in Eastern Washington in two weeks.

I just ordered one, looking forward to building it. The original version has been a favorite with my kids.

Has anyone put a 38mm motor tube in this thing yet? May require some nose weight, but should work well...

My Mega Red Max arrived yesterday from Hobbylinc. I started today with the build Nose cone seam sanded and filled, BT sanded, working on the fins now.
I'm looking at CTI 29 mm 3 grain loads Classic H90,White Thunder H163-14,Red Lightning G125-14,Blue Streak H133-14,Blue Streak G118-15,Smokey Sam G131-14 and possibly the 29 mm CTI 2 grain reloads w/ spacer.

John

Back