SCALE - (Goddard) L13 Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maclif

Reaction score
I just got done building a somewhat modified FlisKits L-13. I've really been fascinated by Robert Goddard's work. My goal - build a flyable close to scale model of the L-13. I'm still downloading all the build photos.

Some of the key changes from the kit:
Added (hopefully) flight-strength steering and blast vanes
Added wrap for the steel band and an access panel (per L-13 drawings found)
Added external tubes (per L-13 drawings found)

I spent nearly as long on the paint job as the build. And I spent about twice as much (or more) on paint than the rocket.

-Clif

-More pics of the build coming soon-

L13-01.jpg

L13-02.jpg

L13-03.jpg

L13-04.jpg

L13-05.jpg

L13-06.jpg

L13-07.jpg

L13-08.jpg

L13-09.jpg

L13-10.jpg

L13-11.jpg

L13-12.jpg

Post Copied To Gallery With Permission

Last edited by a moderator:
Built this one when the kit first came out, flies great and looks very realistic.

FliskitsL-13.jpg

L13.jpg

Welcome to the SCALE (Goddard) L-13 Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the (Goddard) L13 and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Fliskits: L-13: #SC004

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Launched on March 26, 1937, L-13 flew higher than any of the other 35 liquid fueled rockets flown by Robert H. Goddard. From its launch pad at Roswell N. M. it achieved an altitude of an estimated 1.7 miles (2.7 km). The rocket used a gyroscope to control the air and blast vanes at the bottom of the fins, to keep it vertical during flight. It burned gasoline and liquid oxygen. Overall length was 200-3/8 inches (5.089 m) with a tube diameter of 9 inches (0.229 m). One quadrant of the steel and aluminum missile was painted red, as were the sides of the two fins parallel to the quadrant.

Last edited:
Fliskits L-13 (SC004) Basic Information.

Fliskits

MODEL NAME: L-13 Also known as:

NUMBER: SC004

Introduced: 2010
Final Year:
Designer: Jim Flis

Type: Scale
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 35.5"
Diameter: 1.637"
Span: 3.21"
Weight: 2.9 oz.

Mfg. Description: Scientist, inventor, visionary. The 3 words that best describe Robert Hutchings Goddard.

From 1936 - 1939 Goddard began work on the K and L series of rockets. These rockets were much larger than his previous attempts and they were plagued with failures. The main problem was overheating and burn through of the engine. Several attempts were made to solve this problem, including running the liquid oxygen around the outside of the combustion chamber, but this was ruled as too complex.

In the end, he downsized his efforts and worked on lightening the rocket to help attain higher altitudes.

The L-13 rocket was the king of this effort reaching an altitude of 2700 meters on March 26th, 1937 with a burn time of 22.3 seconds.

This 1:5.5 sport scale model of Goddard's L-13 rocket is a fairly easy build and will provide you with a very nice looking reproduction of this most famous rocket. Turning in outstanding flights on all motors, the L-13 is a must for scale enthusiast as well as history buffs and those who just want a very cool rocket to show off at their next launch!

The L-13 is one of two commemorative kits for the 2010 national convention, NARCON. This event is being held at Clark University in Worcester, MA where Goddard taught and began his serious rocketry work.

FlisKits is proud to be able to offer this small series of model rocket kits commemorating one of the most important visionaries this country has ever had. (Fliskits 2012 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

fliskts%20-%20l-13%20sc004%20-%202010%20cat%20spring.jpg
2010 Spring Catalog

fliskts%20-%20l-13%20sc004%20-%202012%20web.jpg
2010 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Absolutely love this rocket! Thanks to Tony Vincent (tonypv) for the blast vane info.

IMG_7982.jpg IMG_7983.jpg IMG_7984.jpg IMG_7985.jpg IMG_8771.jpg IMG_8807.jpg IMG_8871.jpg

Back