where to launch?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes it has. It is never posted to the website until after the last launch of the current year. We often print and mail it to members on the snail-mailing list by mid December and people can pick up a copy at the last launch of the year and we save a stamp. Normally questions for SCRA would be posted to the SCRA YahooGroup since I am virtually the only member who reads and posts here.

As noted on the YahooGroup, I am travelling a lot and will miss the next launch, but should be able to attend the last launch in December. If only they can send me back up here (WA) in February for NARCON...

If you know any good and cheap printers, wee can get the hardcopies run off and mailed even sooner. I usually do the printing but I will not be able to this time, so Martin is exploring options.

Has the SCRA 2015 schedule been worked out yet? The website still has the 2014 schedule.

Yes it has. It is never posted to the website until after the last launch of the current year. We often print and mail it to members on the snail-mailing list by mid December and people can pick up a copy at the last launch of the year and we save a stamp. Normally questions for SCRA would be posted to the SCRA YahooGroup since I am virtually the only member who reads and posts here.

Thanks for the post. I use some gun forums that feature subforums for various regional clubs so the clubs don't have to host forums of their own. Might be an idea for this site.

Anyway, I ask because I have a crazy schedule and I literally map out my entire year at the end of the previous year. We might be able to make it out to the 21 December meet and I'll pick up a schedule if we do.

The best place for launching solid, liquid or hybrid rockets in the country (or static testing motors) is the FAR site in California.
Where else in the world can kids launch their Estes rockets within a few hundred feet of a commercial space rocket test or launch...on the same day?

https://friendsofamateurrocketry.org/

Rick

Your referenced FAR site looks pretty impressive. :surprised:

Just attended my first SCRA meet, and by the way the first time I witnessed any model rocket launch in over 30 years (first time my partner had ever seen any ever):

It looks like a pretty good set up. We could only stay for the first two rounds of launches because we learned today that model rocket launches terrify my dog.

This is a pack of Cub Scouts setting up for launch round 2:

Sadly, that sweet V2 at right suffered a catastrophic failure just off the pad: the ejection charge fired as soon as the rocket cleared the launch lug. Luckily it wasn't moving very fast when that happened and so hopefully it wasn't badly damaged.

All the Cub Scouts' rockets featured perfect flights and recoveries. Well done!

I don't have any rockets yet, so I had nothing to launch. Maybe next month.

The V-2 had a C11 fail with minimum damage.
Next attempt was an E9 which failed a split second after ignition and sent the entire contents of the motor up through the rocket as a flaming fireball (Roman candle). Very sooty but still flyable - shock cord still good.

Third "flight" was with an Aerotech F32-6. It sounded like it spit the igniter (which was the igniter that came with the motor and was only held in by the rubber band). Upon approaching the pad with another igniter, it was clear that the motor failed and the bottom section of casing broke off. Propellant segment was sticking out , and nozzle end of casing was found on ground nearby with igniter still rubber banded to it. It definitely failed at a much lower pressure than it should have.

Flyer installed another F32-6 from the same batch and this time it ignited instantly and flew perfectly to an astounding altitude. Recovery was perfect - no damage to shock cord or parachute.

The flyer has three M.E.S.S. Forms to fill out for the NAR and for the motor manufacturers.

That's nuts! Three motor failures in the first three launch attempts? What are the odds?

Latest posts

Back