Attaching Payload Bays to Av-Bays

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wiley

Reaction score
I'd like to know more about how an av-bay can be attached to the payload (main parachute section) of a DD rocket. I want my av-bay to be completely removable, so gluing the bay in is not an option. After reading the instructions for the Wildman Extreme and Darkstar Extreme, it looks like the avionics bay is held onto the payload bay with three removable plastic push rivets. Naturally, these rivets would need to be much stronger than the shear pins used on the nose cone. The rockets mentioned above are both 4"; I'm considering a 3" Competitor/Intimidator for my next kit. What size push rivets would be suitable for this size rocket (assuming that I use two 2-56 nylon shear pins on the NC)?

The same size rivets can be used. You can also use screws with either Tee nuts or PEM nuts inside the av bay. As for the rivets, I have seen as small as 29mm rockets make use of at least one to hold parts together.

These. 3 also on a 3in airframe spaced equally. about 1.5 inches from edge of airframe.

The ones that fit a 5/32 hole. You'll have to figure that out , don't remember. They are the same size that PML & Wildman sell.
https://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/118/3312/=jkqi60 [click-lock shank]

We use these all the way up to 8in airframe. 6-8in use 4 of them. Below 6in airframe to 3in use 3.

Smaller diam. use 2.
I have never sheared them & I beat the cr$p out of stuff.

PS went back and looked in my box.....they are the .163 hole size. You may have to ream hole out a tad. For some strange reason, depending on the batch I get, they either fit perfect or are a tad tight, requiring the good ole 'warble the hole' technique. LOL

Last edited:
CJ, do you replace the rivets after every flight, or do you reuse them?

I re-use mine as well. I think I have 2 on a Nuke Pro Maxx, and 3 on the upper section of an Expediter

I use both the tee-nut and rivet method to secure avbays. If using the rivets I have a tendency to replace them for each flight as they are dirt cheap and it gives me a little more peace of mind I guess.

So, CJ, if the PML push rivets on their hardware page are the same ones that Wildman sells, are they therefore long enough to couple a 3" PR G12 coupler to a 3" G12 airframe? PML's site says that they're good up to .13" of total thickness, but it looks like the PR tubes will be pushing this limit.

CJ, do you replace the rivets after every flight, or do you reuse them?

I re-use them when I can.LOL I usually drop or misplace them long before they become worn out.

So, CJ, if the PML push rivets on their hardware page are the same ones that Wildman sells, are they therefore long enough to couple a 3" PR G12 coupler to a 3" G12 airframe? PML's site says that they're good up to .13" of total thickness, but it looks like the PR tubes will be pushing this limit.

Well the PML were the first ones I had access to back in the day [before I discovered that magical place called Mac Car] & they worked fine.
However they only came in 10 packs then[don't know how they come now], if you have multiple rockets using them, it makes economical sense just to order some stuff from Mac and get a 50 or 100 pack. Then ya can get longer ones.
I usually do that when I order shear pins & eye nuts. There is always someone at a launch looking for some, so I get extra packs & re-sell them.

Cheaper for me anyhow that way.

Ps... you are correct though when it comes to bigger airframes. The 5in and up stuff is thicker wall and requires longer rivets.

Last edited:
Back