3-Demon from 3D Rocketry

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeptic

Reaction score
First post and a new rocket build. Just started back into rocketry a couple months ago due to a coworker giving me a Der Mini Max to build. Have been enjoying it since, with a paper towel and toilet paper tube contest a couple weeks ago. We have spread the rocket building fever to more than a few coworkers now.
So, on to the build thread:
I liked the look of the 3-Demon from 3D Rocketry, so I contacted Bill asking if I could reserve one of the first six that were discounted. He agreed to send me the first kit if I would post a build thread. So here it is.
Everything in the kit:
2012-10-01 16.57.52.jpg

First up was the unboxing, I don't think I have had any issues with rockets being delivered in bad shape, but the box was well packaged with all the fragile parts wrapped, everything came completely intact.

Starting with the directions is the engine mount. I cut a clearance for the shock cord (I chose to use 1/8" kevlar shock cord)
Marked:
2012-10-01 18.54.41.jpg
Cut:
2012-10-01 19.03.59-2.jpg

Knotted the shock cord and epoxied it to the motor mount tube.
2012-10-01 21.55.38.jpg

Next up was cutting the through the wall fin slots. This involved attaching a fin slot cutting guide. I cut the slots out of the paper template, and used a Sharpie to mark the slot to be cut. The cut outs were made with an exacto knife.
Template on the 3" body tube:
2012-10-01 18.01.49.jpg
Slot outline drawn on the body tube:
2012-10-01 18.04.37.jpg
Cut out slots:
2012-10-01 18.51.37.jpg

Next up was installing the front centering ring of the motor mount assembly:
2012-10-01 21.55.52.jpg

This was allowed to dry (though I was a bit premature in installing the motor mount, and had to use a dowel rod to straighten it back out in the body tube:
2012-10-01 22.04.41.jpg
The rear centering ring was used to keep the motor mount straight, but not glued in at this point.

Next up was installation of the fins:
2012-10-01 22.33.40.jpg

Then the base pieces for the fins were installed after sanding an angle on them to help with the fit onto the body tube:
2012-10-01 23.19.33.jpg

I didn't do the best job at sanding these to fit well, and there was some gaps on the balsa side items, I filled that as best I could, and feel like they look pretty good.

Next up was installing the rear centering ring:
2012-10-02 00.09.25.jpg

No motor retainer is included, but I had ordered a few of the Estes 29mm motor retainers, and it fit on perfectly.

2012-10-02 00.19.03.jpg
The rocket turned out well, and went together well. This was my first time cutting through the wall fin slots, which I feel went pretty well. Overall, I think the build went very well, the directions were clear. The rocket seems very sturdy and durable. The nose was already set up with washers and a bolt for weight.
Very pleased with the rocket, and excited to fly it, hopefully this weekend. For paint, I am thinking black and a purple color shift paint combination, I will update with an image of it painted when I get to it.

I emailed Bill about the shock cord and parachute size. He thought the 1/8" Kevlar would work great and recommended a 24" parachute, though a 18" would work well in higher winds.

That is really cool! What are you planning on for color schemes?

That is really cool! What are you planning on for color schemes?

I am thinking black with some kind of highlights on the back half, with a purple color shift front section, not sure completely yet, hopefully I can get the paint going this weekend on it.

Thank you skeptic for the great build thread, very well done. I think the color selection you mention will be very sharp and can't wait to see the finished bird. I planned on having the kit up for sale this week on the website so watch for the announcement.

The next three kits sold will be at the super low price of $30.50!

Back