First Level 2 scratch build, upscale Estes Shadow

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What have I gotten myself into this time??? Boy that 38mm motor tube sure looks wimpy.
The size differential sort of puts the whole 38 vs 54mm motor tube in perspective, doesn't it?

Not too late to make the switch to a 54mm tube and a motor adapter if needed.

54mm motor reloads are cheap. Less than a tank of gas for my 32 gallon Bronco fuel tank. LOL!

Yep, needs to be 54mm for that size rocket.

You know, I've thought long and hard about 38mm vs. 54mm. I've decided to stick with 38mm for several reasons. A 38mm J350 reload is $58. A 54mm J250 is $73. I already have the 38mm hardware. If I went to 54mm, I'd have to buy a $116 motor case. I know I could adapt down, but then I'd worry about the volume that the ejection charge has to pressurize. With 38mm, I can go up to a J510, which will take it to over 3000ft. That's more than enough for me.

The size differential sort of puts the whole 38 vs 54mm motor tube in perspective, doesn't it?

Not too late to make the switch to a 54mm tube and a motor adapter if needed.

54mm motor reloads are cheap. Less than a tank of gas for my 32 gallon Bronco fuel tank. LOL!

Yeah, but 38mm reloads are less than a tank of gas for your Taurus!

Jim, Why not go ahead and install a 54 motor mount now and use the adapter? Then if you wanted to sell the rocket some day it's already set up for 54mm. Everything that I build now gets a 54mm motor and I just adapt to 38mm. Just my 2c.

Jim, Why not go ahead and install a 54 motor mount now and use the adapter? Then if you wanted to sell the rocket some day it's already set up for 54mm. Everything that I build now gets a 54mm motor and I just adapt to 38mm. Just my 2c.

I worry about the volume of a long 54mm motor mount tube. The BP well is smaller on the 38mm forward closure. I don't have a source for BP, anyway.

Well, I decided to weigh the components today, and I'm glad I did. Open Rocket was way off. Instead of a little under 9lbs without motor, now it's 11lbs. By changing the fins to 1/4" and going with slightly smaller hardware, I was able to get it down to a little under 10lbs. Looks like I'll need a bigger parachute than I thought, too.

Finally got the bandsaw bearings replaced. There must have been grease on the new ones, because the first cuts I made were very dirty. I cleaned the bearings and blade with brake cleaner, and it's a lot better. Whatever is still there should wear off.

21_bandsaw.jpg

22_bandsaw.jpg

bandsaw_bearings1.jpg

bandsaw_bearings2.jpg

bandsaw_bearings3.jpg

I finally got the centering rings sized on the lathe. Took a while, I'm not used to working with such large rings. The center holes were cut with a 1-9/16" hole saw, and sized with the Dremel. Got one done before the Dremel battery died. That li-ion battery lasts so long, I never think about charging it.

23_centering_ring.jpg

24_centering_ring.jpg

25_centering_ring.jpg

26_dremel.jpg

27_centering_ring.jpg

That coupler is huge! I'm so paranoid about the volume, I made a third centering ring that will go on the forward section of motor tube, and inside the coupler. Should take up almost half the space in it. I wonder how much CA the coupler's going to need to flood half of it...

28_centering_ring.jpg

29_centering_ring.jpg

30_centering_ring.jpg

Using a guide I had created and printed on card stock, I marked the locations of the vent holes in the baffle, and the holes for the u-bolt. The u-bolt holes were drilled with a 21/64" bit. I drilled 1/8" pilot holes for the vent holes. Using a 1/2" forstner bit, I drilled the vent holes from both sides to keep them clean.

31_baffle.jpg

34_baffle.jpg

35_forstner.jpg

36_forstner.jpg

32_baffle.jpg

I wanted backing plates with a bigger footprint for the u-bolts, than the ones they came with. I made my own from 1/8" x 1-1/4" aluminum bar. I like mine much better.

37_backing_plate.jpg

38_backing_plate.jpg

39_backing_plate.jpg

40_backing_plate.jpg

41_backing_plate.jpg

I'm very happy with how the baffle turned out. The bulkhead turned out pretty good, too. I decided to use some smaller u-bolts I found than the first huge ones I bought. I drilled new holes in the bulkhead for the smaller u-bolts, which have a shorter span. They're 5/16" diameter like the bigger ones, just shorter and narrower.

42_baffle.jpg

43_baffle.jpg

44_baffle_bulkhead.jpg

45_baffle_bulkhead.jpg

46_baffle_bulkhead.jpg

I filled the extra holes in the bulkhead and baffle with epoxy. Some aspects of rocket building are just so exciting! :tongue:

47_baffle_bulkhead.jpg

48_baffle_bulkhead.jpg

49_baffle_bulkhead.jpg

Thank you for sharing the photos. Your woodworking is quite inspiring.

I notice a desire to go and build a fat rocket myself. Must... finish... glider... first...

Ari.

Thank you for sharing the photos. Your woodworking is quite inspiring.

I notice a desire to go and build a fat rocket myself. Must... finish... glider... first...

Ari.

Thanks for the compliment, Ari! I must say, your Vulcan glider is amazing. Can't wait to see it fly at Snow Ranch!

In a total reversal for me, I've decided to build the Shadow XXL lighter rather than heavier. So I'm using 1/4" plywood for the fins, instead of 3/8". As usual, I pinned the fin blanks with 1/4" dowels before cutting them out on the bandsaw. I used the rip fence to cut the tabs this time, so hopefully they'll be straighter than I've done in the past. Match sanding was done on the stationary belt sander, with the fins still pinned together.

50_fins.jpg

51_fins.jpg

52_fins.jpg

55_fins.jpg

57_fins.jpg

I normally use finwraps to mark body tubes for fins. But the circumference of the 5.54" tube is too big for Payload Bay's finwrap tool. So I made my own. I printed out a different type of fin guide to double check, and apparently my calculations were correct. I also got the blocks epoxied to the centering rings that the rail buttons will screw into.

64_body_tube.jpg

65_body_tube.jpg

66_finguide.jpg

67_finguide.jpg

70_centering_rings.jpg

Holy moly, 1515 rail buttons are big! Sometimes I can be so naive...

71_rail_buttons.jpg

72_rail_buttons.jpg

73_rail_buttons.jpg

More boring but necessary stuff. Got the tee-nuts pressed into the aft centering ring and epoxied. I usually use 6-32 tee-nuts, but I decided this big boy deserved 8-32. Also sanded the rail button blocks flush.

74_tee_nuts.jpg

75_tee_nuts.jpg

76_blocks.jpg

77_blocks.jpg

I used the bandsaw to cut 4" off one of the body tubes. It actually did better than I expected. I'll flood the very end with CA so I can sand it smooth.

78_body_tube.jpg

79_body_tube.jpg

80_body_tube.jpg

81_body_tube.jpg

82_body_tube.jpg

I made a jig to epoxy the forward centering ring 6" from the end of the motor tube. The jig positions the ring and keeps it level.

83_jig.jpg

84_jig.jpg

85_motor_mount.jpg

86_motor_mount.jpg

More boring stuff. After sanding the cut end of the body tube, it was smooth enough so that I didn't need to flood it with CA. And using a piece of aluminum angle, I got the fin slots cut. That LOC tubing is some thick stuff!

89_body_tube.jpg

92_fin_slots.jpg

93_fin_slots.jpg

95_fin_slots.jpg

96_fin_slots.jpg

I couldn't resist a dry fit of the fins. I cut a half inch piece off the coupler, to use for strengthening the bottom end of the rocket. I also cut the forward motor tube to length and epoxied the motor mount into the body tube.

90_fins.jpg

101_coupler.jpg

103_motor_tube.jpg

104_motor_mount.jpg

I wasn't sure if my fin alignment guide would fit the 5.5" tubing, but it seemed to work fine. I ended up with a gap at the aft end of one of the fins. I put a piece of tape on the back, and filled the gap with epoxy.

105_fins.jpg

106_fins.jpg

107_fins.jpg

108_fins.jpg

112_fin_gap.jpg

Latest posts

Back