29mm US Rockets Fire and Forget: Going after several club altitude records

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcderek

Free Flight Rocketeer
Reaction score
A picture of the ready to finish rocket:

1071eb7bde8d839f07efce590915dbbb.jpg

1.22" x 29"

Only mod is a hard wood nose cone that adds 1.5" of length.

The payload section is long enough to hold my tracking beacon. I plan to make a compartment for the beacon with the antenna running down the payload section. I will test the transmitting range before flight.

108f00042871c6e9470d0365d7ed3b3b.jpg

The TCR G Altitude record is a tad over 5,000'. If it all works as planned (big if!) I will work up to several of the cool CTI Pro 29 3 Grain reloads like the G114 and H90. Lot's to do before then though! We shall see...

Last edited:
What beacon are you using?

The beacon is a Ruyter. They are designed for free flight airplanes, therefore small and light. There are beefier and stronger ones for rocketry. I've had the beacons for years and they work great in airplanes, now to try it with rockets:)

My kind of project! Once I acquired a tracking beacon I felt a lot more confident to fly higher and higher. I was on pace to do a project like this but then got derailed by loss of access to a big enough field to try things like this on. One of the clubs I fly with just got access to a nice size farm though, so playtime will resume shortly. I have G54 and H54 CTI long burn loads which should make for some fun flights. Good luck with yours! :)

Jim Z

The beacon is a Ruyter. They are designed for free flight airplanes, therefore small and light. There are beefier and stronger ones for rocketry. I've had the beacons for years and they work great in airplanes, now to try it with rockets:)

I have not heard of that brand. Are they still made?

I dig USR kits. My MiniRoc is one of my faves, and the best flight so far has been D12-o to D5-6.

This one would be great on and a G138...what is it, like 157 n/s in the 29/40-120 case. Ka-blam..

BTW, nice nose cone.

Last edited:
I dig USR kits. My MiniRoc is one of my faves, and the best flight so far has been D12-o to D5-6.

BTW, nice nose cone.

The nose cone was turned by a club mate named pat. It's nice. I like the simple USR kits allot. Not so impressed with the sonic Stilleto. Listed as a skill level 2 kit. It's a bit more challenging than that. Has parts for a baffle with no mention in the instructions. It will fly well once it's all together. (I hope)

Back