Cutting fiberglass airframes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isobig

Reaction score
Being new to fiberglass airframes, I am wondering how to cut them. What is the best way to cut one, as in to shorten it?

Thanks!

I always use a chop saw with a metal cutting blade. cuts right through and leaves a nice edge. or you can use a dremel with a reinforced cutting wheel which will require some sanding to the edge to get it nice.

Yea that will work. I think the squareness of the cut depends on the quality of the saw and some other factors. mine usually come out fairly close to perfect and if not i just put a sheet of sand paper on a steel table and sand the end. Its doesnt take very long at all even on the worst out of square cuts ive had. but the metal cutting wheel cuts right through very quickly and easily so a little sanding never bothers me when you compare the time other methods may take.

Thanks for your advice max.

I recently purchased a used table saw from craigslist. This is what I would do if I where you, you can use it for numerous steps on building a rocket or at home use.

All you would have to do to get a perfect cut is push the tube through with a 2X4 on one side, keeping the square side to the guide.

Yea that will work. I think the squareness of the cut depends on the quality of the saw and some other factors. mine usually come out fairly close to perfect and if not i just put a sheet of sand paper on a steel table and sand the end. Its doesnt take very long at all even on the worst out of square cuts ive had. but the metal cutting wheel cuts right through very quickly and easily so a little sanding never bothers me when you compare the time other methods may take.

++ on the sanding 'til square tip! 'glass sand nicely. You can also use the tape wrap trick to determine visually what is actually square just to be sure.

Thanks. I was wondering how to get the cut nice and square. Will the chop saw do that?

Will something like this work for tubes up to 6" ? - https://www.harborfreight.com/2-hp-14-inch-heavy-duty-cut-off-saw-91938.html

No it will not.

I have used the SEARS version. It comes with laser sight for lining up cuts.

It will work up to 4in. tube. Blade is 14 so theoretical cut would be 7in. BUT due to mounting and the pivot/arc required for the cut, ya can only get a 4in there tight to fence.

Table saw with diamond blade...masonry blade....or carbide [which will do for limited amount of cutting before it dulls. at least 30+ cuts] is how to do 5in & up.
Smaller size tubes on saw can be cut up to 3in. Blade will not extend up high enough for larger tubes. [On one I use anyhow]

Butt tube up to fence , set blade 1/2in.and roll tube to cut.

If just doing a project or 2. a Hack saw and some elbow grease will do the trick. Just square it up with 60-80 grit. Wrap paper around tube like in the old Estes days and use it for guide to square.

Last edited:
do it by hand with a hacksaw and a good metal cutting blade.Takes a bit but you can get nice square cuts.

Thanks to all who posted advice. I was concerned about the difficulty in making square cuts with a hacksaw. Now I know it's not as bad as originally thought. :)

Back