Valspar Spray Paint is Garbage

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Green Jello

Reaction score
I just tried some of this stuff from Lowe's and I HATE IT!

294478-Valspar_spray_can.jpg

I was using it to paint the body of my son's Big Bertha. It dried all crackled and the nossle splatters. Has anyone used this stuff?

I used on one of my wife's projects (she purchased it) a while back--was disappointed also.

Valspar has some great Marine Varnishes and Shallac's but I wouldn't even consider buying Rattlecan paint from them.
Stick with Rustoleum or more expensive Duplicolor for the most consistant Can to can, batch to batch consistancy:)

The thread I started last month on Valspar is here: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?41363-Valspar-paint

I'm batting 50% with it. The rocket I painted with Valspar red is degrading more every day. Something went WRONG with that paint, its getting patchy, dimpling, hazing, you name it. Must have been a bad batch, it really never seemed to cure.

The rocket I painted with Valspar blue is better, its stayed shiny and smooth for the most part and the paint isn't puckering up around the vinyl.

As I stated in the previous thread, the only difference between the two is that I wet sanded the red between two fairly heavy coats.

I feel your pain - I won't be using Valspar on my rockets again! I've got a LOC Doorknob under construction now, so I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to use......

I guess Valspar has gone the way of Krylon... I agree that their new "twist lock" caps UTTERLY suck... but overall I've been pleased with their paint... BUT, that doesn't mean they haven't changed their paint as well as their nozzles... Sounds like folks are starting to have more and more bad experiences...

I found out yesterday that Tractor Supply Company isn't selling Valspar anymore... they've switched brands. Up until recently, the tractor paint sold by TSC was Valspar, without the stupid twist-lock can top... it had a regular cap and a regular button nozzle... I was just in TSC yesterday and I saw they they only had a few cans of Valspar left, all their new paint is "Majestik" or whatever... and I have NO experience with that...

Oh well... guess that leaves Walmart Colorplace, Rusto, and Duplicolor as the "go to" paints... I'll have to try out this "Majestyk" or whatever it is before I can recommend it...

Later! OL JR :)

Yep ... its crap ... no question. Had the same problems you have had. Never buy it again. Plus you cannot use this:

642714-comfort_grip_paint_spray_gun.jpg

I even tried to remove the funky nozzle set up on those cans and place another tip, hoping to fix the problem, and use the paint gun thing in the pic ... nope, you can't.

Like qquake said ... stick with Rusto 2x .

If everybody did what I usually wind up doing........If I run across a product that sucks, I'll tell them about it. I agree the nozzle is a piece of junk, but I only used this one can and my results were pretty good.

And hey SacEsq, Klingspore's sells a gun like that for $2.95 CLICK HERE and it mentions in the catalog that you have total control over the amount, speed and direction you spray. Fits ANY aerosol can.

If everybody did what I usually wind up doing........If I run across a product that sucks, I'll tell them about it. I agree the nozzle is a piece of junk, but I only used this one can and my results were pretty good.

And hey SacEsq, Klingspore's sells a gun like that for $2.95 CLICK HERE and it mentions in the catalog that you have total control over the amount, speed and direction you spray. Fits ANY aerosol can.

That won't work for the twist-lock cap... I guarantee it... advertising assertions notwithstanding...

Those twist-lock cap nozzles belong on an air freshener, not on a spray paint can...

Oh well, sooner or later maybe some of these paint manufacturers might figure that out...

That won't work for the twist-lock cap... I guarantee it... advertising assertions notwithstanding...

Those twist-lock cap nozzles belong on an air freshener, not on a spray paint can...

Oh well, sooner or later maybe some of these paint manufacturers might figure that out...

I have a take on this new nozzle on Valspar cans. Ever go down an aisle of rattle cans and NOT see 40 dozen test spots sprayed on the racks? I figure this nozzle blocking cap lock along with being shrink wrapped, could pretty much cure that little issue. Too bad you can't take that nozzle off and use something else. I see their efforts here but if it's that despised by enough people, and they loose enough sales, maybe they'll get a clue?

I have a take on this new nozzle on Valspar cans. Ever go down an aisle of rattle cans and NOT see 40 dozen test spots sprayed on the racks? I figure this nozzle blocking cap lock along with being shrink wrapped, could pretty much cure that little issue. Too bad you can't take that nozzle off and use something else. I see their efforts here but if it's that despised by enough people, and they loose enough sales, maybe they'll get a clue?

Not really... how hard is it to pop the little shrinkwrap band and twist the lock and shoot a test spot?? Happens all the time...

I think it's the results of one-upsmanship-- IE Krylon came out with their new dinky "fan spray" nozzles with the twistable inserts to switch from spraying up and down to side to side (but they aren't worth a rip either-- they put out FAR too coarse a droplet and literally "hose" the paint on compared to a good regular cone-spray type nozzle found on every can of paint a few years ago and still present on the "cheapy" paint today...) Since Krylon got a fancy new paint tip, Valspar figured they'd "one-up" them and come out with the fancy-dancy "twist-lock" caps with the crummy nozzles... they LITERALLY look just like the nozzles you'd find on roach spray or air freshener... and they don't work worth a rip for painting.

These "major brand" paint companies seem to be following the idiotic "logic" followed by the automakers... it's not what's OUTSIDE the can that counts, it's what's INSIDE, and how GOOD a job you can do with it that matters. For painting lawn furniture, the crappy twistylock and twistyflatfan nozzles work great... because the typical idiot spraying his lawn furniture doesn't really care how it looks anyway, or isn't worried about compatibility and hardness and curing times and other stuff like that that REAL painters worry about... BUT, the twistylock caps and twistyflatfan tips get their ATTENTION and have that "gee whiz" look and feel to it that gets the lawn chair painters all excited and convince them to buy a can of crap paint because of the fancy top... even if the paint inside is crap and goes wonky half the time you use it... All show and no go, hype trumps reality, and the typical moronic consumer goes "yeah, but it's got a twisty top-- how neat is THAT! It'll make ANYBODY paint like a pro!" and buy it all day long... Just about how like you can't really get a decent WORK truck anymore... they've become urban cowboy cadillac TOYS that can't stand up to the rigors of REAL work... they fall apart after a few years... but they're all plush and soft and have heated leather seats and steering wheels and are so tricked out they'd make a pimp blush, but it's all WORTHLESS CRAP that quits working after a couple years... JUNK! All show, no go...

They have to keep the price on the paint competitive, so they skimp on the quality of the actual paint inside, and spend money on "gimmicks" like the twistylock nozzles...

The rattlecan paint has been on a death spiral for the last few years anyway... sad to see ANOTHER good brand go down the tubes, that's all... Krylon USED to be THE best rattlecan paint you could buy, PERIOD. Then they reformulated into this persnickety enamel CRAP they're selling now that won't even work right half the time when you DO follow the instructions to the letter, or even give the stuff LONGER than recommended to cure... and it's sounding more and more like Valspar is going the same way, and I know I was VERY disappointe in the twistylock cap can of silver I bought and used here while back... the paint was GOOD, but the cap SUCKED... I had to WORK AROUND the stupid cap to get a good paint job! That was several months ago, and it sounds like they've started chinzing on their paint to save costs and up profits... the paint sucks but the cans are "cool"... Meh... SO, I'll switch brands... I've had good luck with Rusto... vote with my dollars...

Used to be, painting was pretty straightforward... MOST brands worked and played well with each other, so long as you observed the "enamels over lacquers but NOT the other way round" rule, but the times, they are a'changin'... and as usual, not for the better... that's why a lot of guys are dumping the rattlecans and going either to automotive paint through airguns/airbrushes, or acrylics through the airbrush... just more consistency and better results...

Used to be, painting was pretty straightforward... MOST brands worked and played well with each other, so long as you observed the "enamels over lacquers but NOT the other way round" rule, but the times, they are a'changin'... and as usual, not for the better... that's why a lot of guys are dumping the rattlecans and going either to automotive paint through airguns/airbrushes, or acrylics through the airbrush... just more consistency and better results... Later! OL JR :)

AMEN to that note! We all could sit here and split hairs on why and why not but since the manufactures keep pumping obsolescence into consumer products, and when you get as tired of it as I am anymore, it's no wonder my favorite nozzle is on the tip of an airbrush. LAWD! I recently spoiled myself to the automotive paints. Sure, they take some effort to mix and prep the paint jars and such, but it truly gives you the "WOW" factor. With controlled paint flow from the airbrush, you have almost no over spray hence, less waste, you have a gazillion more colors to choose from and cost wise, I did the math on how much it took to paint with an airbrush VS a rattle can and it's nearly the same. I thought....25 BUCKS FOR A CUP OF PAINT....:y: But after you mix the hardener and reducer, and since you use so much less with an airbrush than with a rattle can, you come out about the same.

I have used Valspar on occasion. It has worked out great. I used the version that is sold in craft stores like Michael's.

8028239095_35317b45e6_b.jpg

I have used Valspar on occasion. It has worked out great. I used the version that is sold in craft stores like Michael's.

I am talking specifically about the new type pictured above carried by Lowes.

I am talking specifically about the new type pictured above carried by Lowes.

I bought my one and only can at Lowe's also. As before mentioned, I didn't like the cap & nozzle but the paint worked well. As a heads up for any Krylon users, word from the local NAPA parts store says that the quality of Krylon sold in Wal-Mart is nowhere near the same as what you can get elsewhere. This may also apply with MarkII's point about buying Valspar from somewhere else besides Lowe's. I DON'T KNOW! But Wal-Mart is terribly guilty of selling watered down paint, cheaper electronics in ANYTHING they sell with name brand titles on them and such. I will not rag them about the gray Auto Primer or the Rusto they sell because I had great results with those. Spend a couple extra dollars for better quality and you shouldn't be disappointed. Oh, and forget Krylon white primer. It takes better than 1/2 a can to do a good job on an average size lo powered rocket.

I sent them an email a few months ago...for all the good it did. I did get a reply, but not a very encouraging one.

I sent them an email a few months ago...for all the good it did. I did get a reply, but not a very encouraging one.

Yeah, I'm pretty much expecting the same after I emailed them today. I even gave them a link to this thread! Usually with large companies you get the usual reply, "WE'RE SORRY YOU WERE NOT SATISFIED WITH YOUR PURCHASE OF A VALSPAR PRODUCT. WE ALWAYS GIVE OUR PRODUCTS THE 100% ATTENTION TO MAINTAINING A QUALITY PRODUCT......Yadda yadda! Maybe a great lot of negative feedback is what they need. I personally would look into it if it were my company brand.

I have yet to have a problem with the "new" valspar paints... i did get some splatter with some red butbi shook the cam some more and problem solved...

Seconded on this stuff being... terrible. Not a single paintjob I have done with this stuff came out good.

Some other low cost paints are Miracal, Champion and Red Devil. I clogged the nozzle twice with Miracal black, not good. Champion was good but has been replaced by Red Devil at Family Dollars I go to. Limited colors, around as good as Krylon. I had good results with Krylon "Indoor/Outdoor" from the Wal direct on balsa nosecone.

My cans did the same thing... sputtering and splatters. Picked up a can of Rustoleum and will never to back to Valspar!

Yeah, I'm pretty much expecting the same after I emailed them today. I even gave them a link to this thread! Usually with large companies you get the usual reply, "WE'RE SORRY YOU WERE NOT SATISFIED WITH YOUR PURCHASE OF A VALSPAR PRODUCT. WE ALWAYS GIVE OUR PRODUCTS THE 100% ATTENTION TO MAINTAINING A QUALITY PRODUCT......Yadda yadda! Maybe a great lot of negative feedback is what they need. I personally would look into it if it were my company brand.

Hey Bernie, You prolly got this same response. I just heard back from Valspar.......

Thank you for contacting Valspar. I’m sorry that your experience with our new cap design has not been a good one. It certainly disappointing when a product does not perform in the way you expect it to. We do appreciate you taking the time to give us some feedback on our product. I will pass this along to the appropriate people.

Hey Bernie, You prolly got this same response. I just heard back from Valspar.......

Thank you for contacting Valspar. I’m sorry that your experience with our new cap design has not been a good one. It certainly disappointing when a product does not perform in the way you expect it to. We do appreciate you taking the time to give us some feedback on our product. I will pass this along to the appropriate people.

That sounds like almost word for word, Gary. Maybe if enough people complain they might actually go back to the old formula and spray nozzles.

That sounds like almost word for word, Gary. Maybe if enough people complain they might actually go back to the old formula and spray nozzles.

Wouldn't hurt my feelings none. In fact, I'm thinking about investing in one of those jet guns that replaces the nozzle so I'll be having flow control with all the paint I have on hand that is collecting dust now. I hate wasting stuff. I hear it won't fit this new Valspar can so I'll just use it as is.

Wouldn't hurt my feelings none. In fact, I'm thinking about investing in one of those jet guns that replaces the nozzle so I'll be having flow control with all the paint I have on hand that is collecting dust now. I hate wasting stuff. I hear it won't fit this new Valspar can so I'll just use it as is.

What "jet gun" is that??

Curious...

Back