Possible EPM-010 Clone Cluster 2 stage

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Started to put this under the LPR EPM-010 thread https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?41370-Estes-EPM-010

Then figured would validly be considered a hi-jack of the thread, so put it here.

Anyway, here is the idea:

Basically a design along the lines of the EPM-010.

3 fins instead of 4.

Divide into booster/sustainer sections just below the small fins on the main body tube.

Booster powered by midline A10-0 (1)
Outboards powered by A10-0s (3)
Sustainer powered by 1/2A3-4T (don't want to lose it.)
Stuffer BT-5 tube between midline booster A10-0 and the sustainer 1/2A3-4T (appropriate vent holes in stuffer tube and outer body tube of booster.)

POSSIBLE extend the pod tubes of the booster to include a streamers for booster recovery.

Issues:

1: Safe?
2: If one of the outboards doesn't ignite, will this be unstable due to asymmetric thrust?
3: Sustainer fins are very small. Probably would NOT be stable as a single stage. BUT, as a sustainer, this puppy should be moving pretty well on 4 A10-0s at staging. Fins expected to be more effective at the higher velocity. Since this is a heavily modified clone, I can easily up the fin size.
4: Will there be issues if ANY of the 3 outboards burns out early?
5: Would it be safe and effective IF I put streamers on the pod tubes to use A10-3T (intentionally delayed) motors on the outboards, to be SURE that staging occurs BEFORE the pods fire. Would anticipate a 3-4 second delay after staging before streamers deploy, meaning the booster is going to fall a bit. Still, with 4 A10s on the booster, would expect some fairly decent altitude at staging (also the reason using a tiny 1/2A3-4t motor on the sustainer---- I'd like to get it back AND I want it to slow down a bit before ejection. I fired a single stage A10-3T 3 engine cluster and chutes were ripped off, I think in part due to a relatively early ejection still on ascent at hi velocity.)
6: Alternative to streamers on pods would be to loosely friction fit the outboards and let them eject. Without either ejecting them or streamers, I think that booster is going to be pretty heavy with 4 engines on board and will probably crack a fin on return

Subscribed! Looks like a great project.

I recommend delayed outboard ejection to avoid one of them burning out and blowing through before the central one stages, which could cause the bird to tilt right before staging.

I did a three outboard plus one central rocket (see hot needle of inquiry thread) but it was not staged so was less complex. It always has had 100% motors lighting so I can't report what happens on partial firing.

If you angle the outboards to point close to the CG, you reduce chances of a failed motor firing causing a spin.

Good luck!

Back