Trash bag parachutes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10fttall

Reaction score
I've got a couple rockets just about finished and ready for parachutes. I wondered today if anyone had experience using trash bags. I mean just the natural shape of the bag. I did a few searches and found dozens of sites talking about cutting circles or hexagons out of trash bags. But no one did anything like what I was thinking- just cut, say, a regular kitchen bag down shorter than normal, turn it upside down, mark 6 equally spaced spots around the bottom, reinforce with labels, punch holes and tie strings on.

Has anyone ever done this? It seems like it would be a cheap and dirty way to a hemispherical plastic chute. Is it that easy or have I missed something that would screw it up?

10foot:
Short answer is yeap you can do it that way. Had a number of my Scouts try using Black lawn and leaf bags as Chutes in the 80's & 90's.
they tend to be very unstable oscillating much more then flat plastic chutes even with very long (3 &4 time the diameter) shrouds and larger then normal spill holes. These were used mostly on sport flying "Estes" type C & D motor models with larger body diameters (BT-60 & Up) going to a bit over a pound LOWt.

We started with 6 shrouds but found Trashbags needed at least 12 to keep any kind of shape in the air.

Back