TRF Community Traveling Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the idea.I agree on keeping it on the lpr end though, not all of us have the money for altimeters,good video devices, belong to clubs or have wide open spaces to fly.Me personally I fly at a school usually by myself ,have never flown bigger than a E28 reload,have one altimeter one and about 4 or 5 motors at any given time.Moral of story..I'm in

Does anyone have any experience with shipping a rocket full of bp residue? I see this as being a possible issue domestically and internationally, but I don't know for sure.

That's a good question. Personally, "I love the smell of black powder in the morning"; but your department of Homeland Security or our Canada Border Services may not. Anyone want to try shipping me a well used "test" rocket that's been launched recently and we'll see what happens?:)

As far as shipping the rocket... i dont see a problem with it since you can ship motors... you just have to pay hazmat.... and those are explosive... a cleaned out rocket will probably smell like sulfer and what not... im still going to make sure... so right now the plan is to do two builds.. one lpr 24mm that you can launch both d and e motors and then a mpr for composite... this way either rocket will be able to load n go... and then there is a rocket to cater to both tastes... thats the idea anyway... once the ball actually starts rolling we will get an official thread posted...

do you guys think it would be fair if we had an application before you launched the MPR version of the TRF-CROC?

just something like proof you have launched a MPR before and if not then a successful launch of the LPR version

do you guys think it would be fair if we had an application before you launched the MPR version of the TRF-CROC?

just something like proof you have launched a MPR before and if not then a successful launch of the LPR version

I have no problem with the basic idea. It depends on exactly what info you required - don't want to sound too paranoid, but I put a pretty high value on the privacy of my "personal information". I doubt you would need anything I considered "sensitive", but still.

Also, it seems to me that anyone with an L1 or above would be automatically qualified, yes?

s6

On another forum I participate in this is called "hot potato". We can call it the "TRF Hot Potato".

If the rocket was well designed it could also be flown on an 18mm motor with an adaptor that way people that don't have the field to fly a 24 mm motor can also participate.

On the other hand there's something to be said for just getting this thing going with a simple kit and see if it has legs.

Also if you start coming up with all sorts of rules and regulations for the hot potato it will crush under its own weight. At some point you just have to trust your fellow rocketeers to do the right thing. Also, as most everyone does when they push the button, remember that this thing may crash hard or get lost. If so then just start it up again and keep having fun.

Last edited:

Dont really think that's necessary. Most people on here can fly LPR and MPR just fine. It doesnt take to much skill to select the correct delay, prep the chute and insert the ignitor correctly.

I have no problem with the basic idea. It depends on exactly what info you required - don't want to sound too paranoid, but I put a pretty high value on the privacy of my "personal information". I doubt you would need anything I considered "sensitive", but still.

Also, it seems to me that anyone with an L1 or above would be automatically qualified, yes?

s6

That was my thought too... That seems like it would work, and should be easily verified...

of course anyone with an L1 cert would automatically be qualified... Literally what we would be looking for is someone who has experience in flying at least an MPR before they launch it... We don't want someone to launch it not knowing what they are doing with MPR... think of it as a way to try and prevent unnecessary damages

On another forum I participate in this is called "hot potato". We can call it the "TRF Hot Potato".

If the rocket was well designed it could also be flown on an 18mm motor with an adaptor that way people that don't have the field to fly a 24 mm motor can also participate.

On the other hand there's something to be said for just getting this thing going with a simple kit and see if it has legs.

looking at the open rocket file for this on a d12 it has an apogee of ~400 feet and on an e9 ~700 feet granted these are just estimates while we work out everything in the sim before we make the builds... we are trying to design the rockets so everyone can fly them and that if for what ever reason the get damaged they will be easily repairable... and we are also trying to make them large enough to get peoples signatures on them and still be able to fit into a fairly small flat rate box

Texas! Count me in!

Braden

I'm in for another part of Tx...

That's a bit of an issue, but Texas is a big state, and we have quite of few NAR and Tripoli groups around, because we are a BIG state!! LOL

I can do Northwest Central Texas just fine!!

I think that's right, south of Dallas, north of Austin and Houston, but West of Tyler, jeeze...lol

I am building the 29mm TRF rocket I will have it done in a week or so. I think we should go ahead with a standard disclaimer on usage. I'll post the Open Rocket File soon.

TA

I am building the 29mm TRF rocket I will have it done in a week or so. I think we should go ahead with a standard disclaimer on usage. I'll post the Open Rocket File soon.

TA
If you are flying at the October launch, count me in! We could both fly it the same day...

Alex

Hey, if anybody is going to Bayboro the 28th, I could give it to you there.

TA

If you are flying at the October launch, count me in! We could both fly it the same day...

Alex

If it can be here in Vegas for the 19th-21st of October we can fly it at the Tripoli Vegas Oktoberfest regional launch. Maybe you folks in Utah could come down?

Im building the 24mm version... when i get off of work ill post up the revised rules disclaimer and who is launching and from where... basically cleaning up the op...

Its done! The TRF-CROC mk II This is the 29mm version Its built around a Loc 54mm tube. Through the wall 1/8" ply fins, Estes motor retainer and 1/4" launch lug, 13 feet of Kevlar 1/8" shock cord. It comes in a little on the Beefy side 21.5 oz and with the 24" chute I have it landing a little fast 22.1 ft/s. I might have a 30" some where, and I will see about swapping it out. Kinda need this to have some survivability. Its has a few paint glitches but with the crap I just went through with another rocket I'm leaving well enough alone! :bangpan: Any way its done all I need to do is launch it and get the ball rollin.

TA

trf1.jpg

trf2.jpg

trf3.jpg

trf4.jpg

trf5.jpg

Sweet. Let's fly that thing!

If you want it to fly southern Utah, just let me know and I'll pm you the address to send it.

A few things:
A) I think adding rail buttons as well would be good - more versatility in launching and all. I'll be glad to add them myself on it's leg here if you'd like.

B) Definately a larger chute would be good in my launching area. Hard ground means hard landings even at slow descent speeds. I imagine I wouldn't be the only one not landing on grass. I've no problem using one of my own (when I fly it) if necessary.

C) Rocksim/OR file? This would help folks sim whatever motor they intend to launch, again increasing the safety factor and avoiding late/early deployments and possible subsequent damage. (my preference would be RockSim). At the very least anyone who flies this should report what motor and whatever data they get on their own flights. Future flyers could simply repeat what works.

Looking forward to launching, s6

Get a bead on how much it'll cost to ship to various areas. I'd like to take a crack at it here in Southern CA.
Everything Stealth said. Need ROCSim, make sure the chute is swappable cause our sites are HARD. Rail buttons would be cool but your choice.

I can PM you an address. One thing, I have not read the whole thread. 29mm means I'll get launch opportunities 1 or 2 times in a month. I don't think anyone cares how long this takes to 'get around' so long as it does. But I thought I'd mention it.

Looks like it's size is like a beefy AT IQSY Tomahawk. Should fly nicely on most 29mm F's through Gs. Maybe even an H410 :cool::horse::headbang:
Jeff

If anybody has a small field, fly a similar rocket from the pad at the same angle first. This seems like a good practice if we all want to use the SAME rocket...

I have a Open Rocket file, I just need to tweek it a bit and I will post it soon.

TA

sweet... i just ordered everything for the 24mm so as soon it comes in then i will get it built too so we will have both rockets available!!!

Im in and if lucky maybe i will get a shot of it with the northern like this one I took in 09:)

rocket%20aurora.jpg

Ok here is the Open rocket file, I found a 32" chute that will bring it in at 17 ft/s so I will put that one in. The rocket is small enough you can use wadding and the shock cord can be detached to put a fire blanket on, maybe some one will donate one. The AV bay has pressure holes already drilled so any one can add a altimeter there will be a sled added so one can be attached with ease. I will get a box and make up a foam packing so it will arrive alive and I will post a basic price for shipping.

As for the rail buttons I thought about it, but it needed to be kept simple not every one has a rail, and any one can afford and/or find a 1/4" rod. So to keep it simple I would just keep it with the one set of lugs. Just one less thing to break. But once it leaves my hands I guess what ever happens, happens. Just remember if you mess it up making a MOD we all get turns punching you in the gut! :bangpan:

As for the motors it simms out stable with every thing, with out adding any nose weight, and it will fit a 29mm XL case. :) It looks like it can go as high as 4200 feet. Although I would agree with the original idea, that its about getting the most flights from TRF members and not about altitude.

TA

View attachment TRFroc.ork

Latest posts

Back