TRF Community Traveling Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is part of the goal... the other part is in other countries too... we will make an exception on the costs of shipping of it internationaly

This sounds like fun. Have you found some one to design it and build it. I will volunteer to do it, if you haven't found any one to do it yet. I have tons of parts It wouldn't cost me much to whip it out. I can build something that can take a beating, I'm thinking 24mm motor, break in half to fit in a small box, Kevlar shock cord with a baffle so we don't have to mess with wadding? Let me know.

TA

Last edited:
I love this idea! Consider this a sign up for launching it in Vegas!

Hmm, clever idea. For ease (of price) on shipping, maybe we could start out, for example, on the West coast, launch the rocket, and then to ship it to the next closest city/state. No sense in bouncing it back and forth across the country, right?

Maybe we could start it off with an Altimeter One/Two on board, then keep a running tab on both the altitude, and distance traveled since last shipped. Kind of like a 'Where's George' on dollar bills. Example; Launched in Seattle, WA. to an altitude of 958', then sent to Portland, OR, distance of 145 miles. Maybe keep a Newton tab too? I would recommend keeping it in the low to mid power ~24mm ≤ G motors, so everybody can play.

I guess we may have to pool our thoughts and ideas for a design of the rocket? Somethin' beefy, it's got a looong way to go.

I'd be interested!

This sounds like fun. Have you found some one to design it and build it. I will volunteer to do it, if you haven't found any one to do it yet. I have tons of parts It wouldn't cost me much to whip it out. I can build something that can take a beating, I'm thinking 24mm motor, break in half to fit in a small box, Kevlar shock cord with a baffle so we don't have to mess with wadding? Let me know.

TA

Im going to do a build but others can too... we can set up an application for people who want to... having a few rockets would be nice so there is variaty to choose from... but they would need to be a simple design and kit based that you can get from your lhs... so estes quest loc percision or something that you can order easily online... this is meant to be for everyone from your rookies to lifetime vets and something everyone can enjoy

Ah ha, that sounds like a really fun idea.

Right! Sometimes i have good ones lol

I love this idea! Consider this a sign up for launching it in Vegas!

Nothing is official yet... but if we do this there will be an official thread... and i would like to have approval from the forum owner or mods sincet
his would be a trf mission

Hmm, clever idea. For ease (of price) on shipping, maybe we could start out, for example, on the West coast, launch the rocket, and then to ship it to the next closest city/state. No sense in bouncing it back and forth across the country, right?

Maybe we could start it off with an Altimeter One/Two on board, then keep a running tab on both the altitude, and distance traveled since last shipped. Kind of like a 'Where's George' on dollar bills. Example; Launched in Seattle, WA. to an altitude of 958', then sent to Portland, OR, distance of 145 miles. Maybe keep a Newton tab too? I would recommend keeping it in the low to mid power ~24mm ≤ G motors, so everybody can play.

I guess we may have to pool our thoughts and ideas for a design of the rocket? Somethin' beefy, it's got a looong way to go.

I'd be interested!

It would be a good idea but then what happens after time goes by and mire people join and want in... soon it would just end up bouncing around any way... and im in colorado so it would get shipped from here to say cali then go on from there... i dont imagine shipping would be bad on a lpr shouldnt be more then a few bucks... i was thinking 24mm... everyone who has a pad can pretty much launch it... going kit based makes it easy so every one can rebuild it if needed.. and the rocket will be just plain white as a canvas for everyone to sign... there will be a few more rules added like at least a basic flight report... i dont have an altimiter and i imagine that there are a few who dont as well... but what ever we xan keep track of we should...

a design like the big bertha would work.
rex

My thought - Big Bertha would be awful easy to damage in transit. Something more stout, yet still flyable on small motors would be better. I have some 1/16" fiberglass to offer up for a set of fins.

Shipping USPS priority box is about the same to all the states in the 48. I like the idea of having multiple rockets but we should keep it to a set number? or no? I kinda like the idea of a bunch of rockets out there. Humm... We might go broke with shipping though. And if you break it or lose it you fix it or replace it, that's the risk of signing up. :) The altimeter Idea is awesome idea, but it may be cost prohibitive for some. I don't know that you should send one with the rocket but have that an option in the reporting of your launch, and each person can provide their own altimeter. Or maybe we can get a few donated? I really like this idea you could post the high altitudes for the rockets that are out there in a running list on the forum.

I also love the idea of signing the rocket but it would have to be with a paint pen. Permanent markers just aren't that permanent. I guess it should be up to the flyer to get his name on permanently. We need some TRF stickers so we can put them on the rockets maybe the boys at the top can donate some? Maybe original owner can reserve the right to call his rocket back? Ok all this said the rules should be kept to a minimum, to many rules make things no fun.

Ok enough talk i'm designing one and building one. :D

Rule: Have to provide a picture and/or a signature from a fellow rocketeer of the altitude, Of course its all just bragging rights and fun, honesty maybe all that is needed.

TA

i was thinking 24mm... everyone who has a pad can pretty much launch it... going kit based makes it easy so every one can rebuild it if needed.. and the rocket will be just plain white as a canvas for everyone to sign... there will be a few more rules added like at least a basic flight report...

So are you thinking of a commercial kit? Or any thing as long as its easy obtainable parts, Estes, LOC ,Semroc, Quest, and the like. And have a parts list with your submission.

TA

This was done on R/C Groups a few years back with an electric airplane. Cool idea.

This was done on R/C Groups a few years back with an electric airplane. Cool idea.

It's actually still going on. The airplane just reached its 47th state. The RCU link above is to the same project. Here's the RCG thread.

The WAA-08 airplane spent Christmas 2010 in my house as it was getting its flights in the Puget Sound area in. In that project the airplane/box/equipment is hand delivered between participants and Frank has set up the general travel path, 10 pilots at a time. Everything needed to fly the airplane travels with it.

For this idea things would be simpler. Here's an older "tour" that is closer to this idea I think: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=192735

I say we go for as many members on TRF and not the 50 states. TRFCR (The Rocketry Forum Community Rocket)

And lets help jfils finish his Tour de Deuce.

TA

This actually sounds like a lot of fun. Just wondering how many people are actually on this forum that might join in. 8 - 10 regular posters would probably not make it all that interesting of a proposition, 100+ would be great. Lets see how this develops.:)

might i suggest looking at the USPS flat rate boxes.. and thier prices... so we arent using a box over and over... easy to get and replace... ALSO, keeps one person from shipping it to the the next, hozed with it costing a billion vs. others where it costs 5.00.

Also, i wouldnt mind making a "Google" Survey, and excell - sheet to track a list... (better than a thread)

If its LPR, I want to be on the list... i will be launched from my yard.... and 2 different HPR sites... by my son!

Reminds me of "flat stanley" --- this rocket should go global!

I'll volunteer to fly in Utah. Or southern / southeastern Utah if you want it broken down into smaller areas.

That said, I'd vote for a non-commercial kit. Scratch designing & building something purpose built - with the needs of this particular project in mind - would be fun and interesting. Taking into account durability, shippability, the ability to fly under a wide range of people's skill levels and infrastructure, cost considerations, ease of repair, etc., all make this an interesting challenge. I'd also volunteer for that duty, though I suspect you will have LOTS of folks wanting to do the same.

Whichever, sounds like a cool project, and I'd love to be involved.

s6

Last edited:
Also if memory card (SD) is shipped with rocket all data, pics, video will travel with the rocket. Every one launching the rocket will be able to down load the data on card(s) which will also serve as a backup of fights to date. Upload your flight data and send it on with the rocket to next launch location.

If it was 18mm or 24mm I'd do it, provided it can be shipped cheaply. Maybe we need a poll of who would participate?

If it was 18mm or 24mm I'd do it, provided it can be shipped cheaply. Maybe we need a poll of who would participate?
I would be interested, the only problem is that I can't launch a rocket above approximately 800 feet without losing it.
Wouldn't want to lose a piece of TRF history!
Oh, PS I am from central NC.

Great idea! I'd be happy to fly it up here in south-western Ontario Canada.

Great idea! I'd be happy to fly it up here in south-western Ontario Canada.

Does anyone have any experience with shipping a rocket full of bp residue? I see this as being a possible issue domestically and internationally, but I don't know for sure.

Back