Photon Disruptor build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

georgeb

Reaction score
This is my first build thread. I am a BAR,first flights were in to 70's .Build is an Estes Photon Disruptor. My favorite Estes model,though the Photon Probe is a close second. I am building it stock an by the directions. I am grateful for all the know how I learned from the people posting in the forum.
Here is all the parts of the kit,all accounted for and in good shape. Balsa sheet is flat an no blemishes. I won't be using the plain red chute,I bought an Estes chute. I lucked out on the chute,it has a retro Estes pattern with bold color.
photon1 copy.jpg

I sanded with 220 grit then 320 grit,cut the fins from the sheet. Usually I spray the sheet with primer but I have to glue some together to make that T shaped fin. Don't know how primer'd fins would stick together. I did not sand a leading edge,the artwork shows a squared fin i believe. Drag yes,but looks cool to me.
photon2 copy.jpgphoton3 copy.jpg

I used my construction mat to help get the 90 degree angle.
photon5 copy.jpg

When I built mine, I did pre-prime the wood as I typically did at that stage in my build history. I had several of the outer fins pop off due to poor adhesion on otherwise normal landings. Good call not priming before the glue here.

I have a replacement kit in my pile; when I build it I plan to mask that area where the glue needs to stick before pre-priming.

Marc

The Photon Disruptor is a great kit.....big .....or small(I guess that`s why some people upscale it:wink:)

I need to build the Estes version as well as the Estes Photon Probe ,I mean i built them ,but the BIG versions.

I`ll watch your build ,it`s a beauty.

Paul T

The motor mount is pretty standard,this one had a thick cardboard jacket to mount inside the lower body tube. I test fit it in the body tube,it was not that snug.
photon4 copy.jpg
The lower end of the rocket,the smaller diameter tube is held in place by two large cardboard rings. I did have to sand a little to get them over the tube. Very tight fit,kept that in mind as I use primarily Tight Bond 2 an my experience is it fetches up with pressure in tight fits. There is a ton of markings on the tube for the nine fins. Three main an six sub fins an launch lug.

photon6 copy.jpg
photon7 copy.jpg
I attached the six little sub fins on the tube first,then the large T-shaped fins.I had to fix one of the sub fins,was off the mark. The lower section is cool,Estes has you make it completely,it can sit squarely an the glue dries. The engine retainer hook sticks out the back of the lower body tube,the rocket cant sit back on it's fins. I installed the engine mount in one motion so it won't fetch up.
photon8 copy.jpg

I sealed the balsa nose cone with CA,thank you Brian! They are so soft an pick up dings easy. Sanded it lightly an attached the eyelet. I added a swivel for the parachute,picked that up on the forum. I made a braided line to attach it to the eyelet an extend it.
photon10 copy.jpg
I used a stringer left from the fin sheet to put glue in the body tube an after I inserted the first ring put some glue in the tube end for the last ring. I attached the launch lug and the shock cord. Someday I will try the kevlar arrangement.
photon9 copy.jpg
I sprayed the model with primer. I am willing to learn new ways to get a better finish. It was difficult to sand the fin arrangement,but It came out ok though. The finishing work is my least favorite part of modeling. I painted it as shown. The decals are large but application worked out thanks to the tips I got here.
photon11 copy.jpg

The sanding of the lower fins assembly was hard,very intricate. I painted it by the directions,the give you measured location for the color mid section. I chose red instead of orange. I had a hard time masking off the lower part,the fins got in the way. Some of the decals we large,glad I got tips for decals on the Forum.photon12 copy.jpgphoton14 copy.jpg
I felt good about how it came out,it was a good challenge. It is a skill level 3. I have a Photon Probe kit,i love those two rockets. My first flight of it was with my club,Maine Math Missile Science club . The first shot it hung pup on the clothes pin an just deployed on the rod. Second flight was better,C6-5. Went pretty straight an deployed well,I was happy.
photon15 copy.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job on the kit ,I like it !!

What next ,Photon Probe ?

Take care

Paul T

The Photon Disruptor is a great kit.....big .....or small(I guess that`s why some people upscale it:wink:)

I need to build the Estes version as well as the Estes Photon Probe ,I mean i built them ,but the BIG versions.

I`ll watch your build ,it`s a beauty.

Paul T
I have seen some up scale versions of the Photon models,Have you done some? If so do you have a link to see them? I have seen some beautiful big versions of these.

This thread has made me really miss my Photon Disruptor. It had a nice ride up on an Aerotech D10 but the ejection charge killed the shock cord and most of the disruptor core sampled and bent.

I shall always remember her thus:

Photon Distruptor Aerotech D10-5W.AVI_snapshot_00.02_[2012.09.23_12.32.28].jpg

Single use white lightning. :drool:

This thread has made me really miss my Photon Disruptor. It had a nice ride up on an Aerotech D10 but the ejection charge killed the shock cord and most of the disruptor core sampled and bent.
Thats a powerful engine,thats too bad,sorry your rocket was wrecked. Must have gone really high though.

I have seen some up scale versions of the Photon models,Have you done some? If so do you have a link to see them? I have seen some beautiful big versions of these.

I recently finished one (4" diam. and 74" tall) as did another fine builder/member (kelltym88).

I`ll get a picture or two posted ASAP.

Cheers

paul T

Here you go chum ,Disruptor a la grande ! BUT ,I really need the smaller version ,so shopping we shall go :D

Photon Probe comming next.

take care

Paul T

php0CCDxiAM.jpg

phpCXvCwRAM.jpg

phpG0ifXuAM.jpg

Big Photon Probe ,but again ,I want the Estes original version to fly on our smaller launch field.

And yes indeed ,that`s my ugly puss LOL

Cheers

Paul T

php7AXzarAM.jpg

phpd89nFHAM.jpg

phpOMl2DZAM.jpg

Big Photon Probe ,but again ,I want the Estes original version to fly on our smaller launch field.

Cheers

Paul T
WOW!! Those are some beautiful rockets!! They have to be a hit at launches. I also really like you jig to hold the craft,are they home made? Looks like PVC pipe. I would love to see those birds fly!
George B

Last edited:

Cheers

Paul T

Having seen pictures of your work shop, where everything has a place and every thing is in its place, I have to wonder why the picture at your 3 o'clock is out of level?

Been get'n frisky?

Nice rocket btw.

Last edited:
Back