Build Threads

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

georgeb

Reaction score
I love build threads. I like the steps in construction in minute detail. I love pics,some pretty good photography here. I kind of build the model along with them in my mind,satisfying to me. I also learn alot,there are so many exellent model builders here. I have documented several builds but only on my Flickr page,they are just by the book Estes kits. Is posting an average Estes build here something anyone else would want to see?
If you have a build thread I would like to see it,maybe post a link here for it.

I think build threads of any kit and skill level are beneficial... What's obvious for some may not be so for others, and it's good to be able to see how well things fit together, quality of materials, finishing techniques, challenges encountered, overall satisfaction, and to get input from others on different approaches while you're building, etc... It's like having a thousand other people from all skill levels and all different walks of life in your shop with you... Some just like to look over your shoulder while others like to point out things they'd do differently... Building the rockets is as much (if not more) of the hobby as flying them.

To me, building the rocket is the best part. Flying is the icing on the cake. I love looking at build threads even if I don't respond to them all. They can all be of benefit to us. Plus, you gotta fill the bandwidth here with something. Better to do it with build threads rather that silly arguments.

I love build threads. I like the steps in construction in minute detail. I love pics,some pretty good photography here. I kind of build the model along with them in my mind,satisfying to me. I also learn alot,there are so many exellent model builders here. I have documented several builds but only on my Flickr page,they are just by the book Estes kits. Is posting an average Estes build here something anyone else would want to see?
If you have a build thread I would like to see it,maybe post a link here for it.

If you haven't been by yet - Stop by my building blog at:
www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com

I tend to do them in detail, probably too much detail for some. (Check out the Estes Saturn V build!)
There are classic kits, Dr. Zooch builds and some stranger things.
I try to keep it varied and interesting.

. Is posting an average Estes build here something anyone else would want to see?
ABSOLUTELY!!!!
I love looking thru the build threads. Doesnt matter ..LPR,MPR,HPR,Scratch.
I can pick up things from any kind of builds.
Also,you may have someone see something you are doing and give you some insight on a different way to go about it.
Its all good and helpful.
Of course, a build thread without pictures is like a peanutbutter and jelly sang-witch with out the Jelly.
Doesnt make much sense.

I love reading them and writing them. I learn from the insights others post in them (the OP and others who comment on the build), plus my own insights as I read the processes and digest what I see in the pics. Im an intermediate level BAR in my view, having been back for about two and a half years. I still enjoy threads by beginners and learn something new from them as well as from the old hands here.

I used to get a bit uptight about my build threads (fear of embarrassment) but now I just go with the flow.

There are so many great folks that share their time here that coming to TRF is often the high point of the "me time" of my day.

Now, if rocket building instructions came with high quality pictures, like we get here on TRF, then some of us won't be screwing up so much! Drawings are OK, but pictures are better.

Thank you guys for the positive responses,I am glad to hear you enjoy them too.
Hcmbanjo, you blog is awesome! great link thank you.
Thank you Scott and Marc,I have a Estes Photon Disruptor build in pics on Flickr,I think I will post the build in LPR section. I am nervous to post with so many master modelers on the Forum.

I am nervous to post with so many master modelers on the Forum.

Jump on in! The water's fine!

Rocket folk seem to be some of the most non judgemental hobbyists I've encountered in my many hobbies... Everyone started somewhere, and at the end of the day, even Von Braun's and Goddard's **** blew up on the pad their fair share of times! Other than Kevin's Talon 6 thread (which is a must read) I haven't seen anyone get too hard a time over things...

Jump on in! The water's fine!

Rocket folk seem to be some of the most non judgemental hobbyists I've encountered in my many hobbies... Everyone started somewhere, and at the end of the day, even Von Braun's and Goddard's **** blew up on the pad their fair share of times! Other than Kevin's Talon 6 thread (which is a must read) I haven't seen anyone get too hard a time over things...

Well, there *was* that one poster that just couldn't enjoy my SR-71 Blackbird build. But he's not around anymore thankfully.

Sure, build threads are always welcome... be sure to post pics of whatever you're doing experimentally... I've done a ton of build threads myself, and now that I do beta builds (pre-release "test" builds for Wes at Dr. Zooch Rockets, I photograph all my builds as they go... and most of the time, with Dr. Zooch's blessing, I post pre-release build threads of soon-to-be-released kits from Dr. Zooch, complete with build photos and descriptions of the kit, it's materials, and construction phases, step by step... basically anybody building the kit can follow along with their kit instructions and the build thread with photos and build the kit... sorta like those DVD instructions you get with the Apogee Saturns... only it only costs you $20-30 bucks for a Zooch kit and the pics and build thread here is FREE!! Win/win!

Do a search for "Zooch" or "luke strawwalker" and you'll see TONS of build threads I've done on the Dr. Zooch kits... if you haven't checked out his lineup, go to Dr.ZoochRockets and check it out...

Most of the stuff I've learned I got right here from other folks along the way here on TRF, and over at Ye Olde Rocket Forum and Rocketry Planet, plus a few I've picked up firsthand from club folks and such... Try to help whereever I can and pass on the knowledge!

I love to see how people are coming up with new techniques or using materials in different ways, or experimenting with stuff like that... There was a guy here recently who was mixing Bondo Spot Putty and lacquer thinner and painting it on the fins for filler... very cool... something I need to try myself soon...

The more the merrier... welcome aboard and post early, post often! OL JR :)

I think build threads of any kit and skill level are beneficial... What's obvious for some may not be so for others, and it's good to be able to see how well things fit together, quality of materials, finishing techniques, challenges encountered, overall satisfaction, and to get input from others on different approaches while you're building, etc... It's like having a thousand other people from all skill levels and all different walks of life in your shop with you... Some just like to look over your shoulder while others like to point out things they'd do differently... Building the rockets is as much (if not more) of the hobby as flying them.

pretty much what i was going to say... what i like about build threads is the different ways people take on the same build... ie my vagabond build and tarasdad's build... essentially it is the same build but with minor changes... i may not respond to every build but i do look them over... even when they are to the T estes kits... like stated pretty much everyone has their own way of building and their own techniques...

for me my build threads are a way for me to keep track of progress... I almost always keep my paint schemes a secret until i am done with the build... the only ones that i will say how i am painting them are the scale models (i don't like stock paint schemes on non scale rockets)... and i appreciate others advice and compliments of my builds... I am proud of my builds and I like to share them with others...

I love to see how people are coming up with new techniques or using materials in different ways, or experimenting with stuff like that... There was a guy here recently who was mixing Bondo Spot Putty and lacquer thinner and painting it on the fins for filler... very cool... something I need to try myself soon...

+1 to the new techniques / materials / experimentation!

I'm one of the "spot putty plus lacquer thinner" and "spot putty plus wood hardener" guys. For the LT version I'm definitely not the inventor. Mixing wood hardener and spot putty might have been my original idea, but I got the idea from reading about both products here and probably wouldn't have associated either with rocketry.

As for new techniques, over in Techniques I've got a thread going where I'm using acrylic "gesso" mixed with spackle to see how it does for replacing auto filler primer over previously sealed fins. I love things like that and get all excited when I see someone post something I've GOT TO TRY.

Marc

+1 to the new techniques / materials / experimentation!

I'm one of the "spot putty plus lacquer thinner" and "spot putty plus wood hardener" guys. For the LT version I'm definitely not the inventor. Mixing wood hardener and spot putty might have been my original idea, but I got the idea from reading about both products here and probably wouldn't have associated either with rocketry.

As for new techniques, over in Techniques I've got a thread going where I'm using acrylic "gesso" mixed with spackle to see how it does for replacing auto filler primer over previously sealed fins. I love things like that and get all excited when I see someone post something I've GOT TO TRY.

Marc

when i got back into rocketry i noticed people talking about dog barf... ive always used wadding in the past... what a great idea and talk about saving money... who ever came up with that idea deserves a medal... just goes to show you that ideas are always popping up

when i got back into rocketry i noticed people talking about dog barf... ive always used wadding in the past... what a great idea and talk about saving money... who ever came up with that idea deserves a medal... just goes to show you that ideas are always popping up
Ive also used shredded lettuce in the past with mixed results.

I love OTHER people's build threads. The ones with really abstract designs, new ideas, or N5800s. Those encourage me to think outside the box.
My own build threads leave a lot to be desired.

Alex

Ive also used shredded lettuce in the past with mixed results.

I love OTHER people's build threads. The ones with really abstract designs, new ideas, or N5800s. Those encourage me to think outside the box.
My own build threads leave a lot to be desired.

Alex

H-O-L-D-I-N-G S-E-L-F B-A-C-K F-R-O-M S-A-L-A-D J-O-K-E:rofl:

My thoughts exactly!!! The application specific wadding is a rip off, $9 for a small package of the larger Estes pro series, enough for maybe 15-20 flights.... Compared to $8 for a bale of barf that will serve me well for probably 150 or so! Brilliant!!

So you like tossing salads eh? Lol

I'm just not gonna go there ---trying hard----back to the subject matter---Build threads are great for the info you gain from them as an observer but the feedback is outstanding from the gang here. These guys catch a lot of things during a build that you might otherwise miss and they really push you to raise the bar on everything you do. Thing is, we all learn from each other , and in the end push out our build abilities. Example--while I may have little intrest in card stock building--at the moment .Those guys have a wealth of knowledge in techniques an structures that carry over to the stuff I do. Hopefully some of the things I do can carry over to other guys and gals in thier varied intrests in rocketry or other hobbies. Are you going to run into the occasional jack ass? Sure, but they tend to be short lived and ---btw--they started somewhere--we tend to take care of our own here ,so don't worry about that--so post away--lots of pics---everybody has something to offer here.-----One more thing----There are no master builders here----we all just do what we do---but some of these guys do it so darn good!

Thing is, we all learn from each other , and in the end push out our build abilities.

amen

to add to that the encouragement to do larger and more difficult builds is great. everytime i post a "whats next" thread i usually get an answer of "do something you like" give your self a challenge" "try to do this one" so far i havn't had many build questions but i have had a few questions about other things rocket related and when it comes to launching a certain rocket

I think it would be cool to have a build thread folder on the main menu. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
I am nervous to post with so many master modelers on the Forum.

I understand that feeling because I had it myself. I started posting build threads with a different mindset, though. My first was a Fliskits Stingray. I posted the build KNOWING that people were going to tell me when I was about the mess up and knowing everyone here was much more experienced than me.

It worked. I got the advice I needed and I have been posting builds ever since. If I had thought of it in terms of "showing what I can do", I'd probably still be waiting for my first post. Having the learning attitude is what turned the trick for me.

I understand that feeling because I had it myself. I started posting build threads with a different mindset, though. My first was a Fliskits Stingray. I posted the build KNOWING that people were going to tell me when I was about the mess up and knowing everyone here was much more experienced than me.

It worked. I got the advice I needed and I have been posting builds ever since. If I had thought of it in terms of "showing what I can do", I'd probably still be waiting for my first post. Having the learning attitude is what turned the trick for me.
Yeah,Thank you JAL3,the learning is indispensable! I have learned a ton from the posts of members,thankfully negative posts are rare. When I get a thumbs up in a post it feels great,I take a compliment with humility ,so many great modelers here. I PM'ed the powers that be with a Build folder suggestion.

Last edited:
Yeah,Thank you JAL3,the learning is indispensable! I have learned a ton from the posts of members,thankfully negative posts are rare. When I get a thumbs up in a post it feels great,I take a compliment with humility ,so many great modelers here. I PM'ed the powers that be with a Build folder suggestion.

I agree that the idea is a useful one. The problem would be finding somebody to index it and keep it up to date. I don't have the time to spare for that.

I would pitch in but I doubt I am qualified,thanks for considering it,I did not know you were Admin.

Last edited:
I recently did my first build thread. I didn't receive a whole lot of feedback on the build (probably because it was an original oddroc). Consequently, I am uncertain whether the thread was presented properly. Could I ask some of you guys to take a look a the thread and tell me whether it was the proper amount of detail? Thanks.

Back