First 2 stage

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott S

Reaction score
I've been wanting to build a two stage for a while now. Last build was a central 54mm with four 29mm airstarts.

I've put together a Nike-Tomahawk but been struggling with Rocksim to simulate the flight details. First question is, does the booster motor (delay time) have to control the ignition of the sustainer motor or is there some other way to simulate seperation and sustainer motor ignition?

Attached is a first shot at the Rocksim model, interstage coupler still needs some work.

Thanks for any input or comments.

View attachment nike-tomahawk.rkt

IIRC, you MUST set your booster ejection delay time to 0 seconds for the upper stage to ignite. If you want to delay staging, set your booster motor ejection delay to 0, and set your sustainer motor ignition delay to however many seconds you want.

So by setting the booster motor ejection delay to 0 the booster seperates from the sustainer at booster burnout? Then by delaying the sustainer motor ignition I can simulate drift prior to lighting the sustainer motor?

Thanks for the input!

Yup. That's what I've always done. Be aware that you can also give your booster its own recover system as well.

Giving it a streamer will help create more drag and cause it to tumble, rather than just diving into the ground. That is if you can find a place to put it ^_^

IIRC, you MUST set your booster ejection delay time to 0 seconds for the upper stage to ignite. If you want to delay staging, set your booster motor ejection delay to 0, and set your sustainer motor ignition delay to however many seconds you want.

I agree with above wording and have not a huge experience,
but want to study among yet I know but few points.
with relevents..................

Back