Suitcase Rocket and transmitter location issues.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Threemorewishes

Reaction score
Hello TRF,

Here's my latest design folly, I call it the Suitcase Rocket. I want to fly to LDRS32 and have a small rocket to launch, so something that fits my luggage is a must. Hopefully I can stuff this one, along with the Accelerator v1.X and my tracking gear into my checked bag and have enough room in my carry on for a few pairs of clean underwear. You should all hope there's enough room for clean underwear!

The parts list:
38mm fibreglass body tube
38mm fibreglass nosecone - looks von Karmenish
Acme fin can
Aeropack retainer
Shear pins
Fibreglass avionics bay
Raven 3 altimeter - 70g model
Featherweight Altimeters avionics bay bulkheads
Walston transmitter
Kevlar shock cords
600lb swivels
Parachute - diameter and form yet to be determined

I have 3, 4 and 6xl cases and some spacers to mix up the motor selection. Now all I have to do is build it and run the simulations to see what to expect. I'm betting the simulations on my favourite motor (I800) are interesting. The 6xl J530 may be fun too!

Something I am not too sure about...I saw some forum posts concerning tracker interference with altimeters and was wondering if my design is going to be OK. Can I put the transmitter beside the Raven3 like in the first image or should it be a little farther away like in the second image?

Thanks in advance for any input m you may have.

Threemorewishes

Transmitter between bulkheads and beside Raven3, or...(Sorry, pic is a little blurry).

IMG_3267_zps1566ad8c.jpg

...transmitter on top of passive bulkhead.

IMG_3268_zps3f6dd801.jpg

here's the pile of parts:

IMG_3261_zpsf98687de.jpg

Here's the mock up...the fin span will be trimmed back almost an inch (RASAero gives the thumbs up).

IMG_3269_zpse8603807.jpg

Adrian puts his BRB transmitters inside his Raven av bays, so I think you're fine with that method.

-Kevin

Thanks for the altimeter/tracker interference info. I will take it into consideration as I start working on the thinking part of the rocket. I managed to get the pointy end done as well as the fiery end while waiting for my altimeter to arrive.
The simulations are done and are impressive for anything I have flown with a 38mm motor. 10k plus altitude and 50g on a CTI J530. I wonder if the plastic fins will stay on? Once I get it in flight ready condition I will tweak the sims using the mass, CG and CP overides too see if its all a dream.
Thanks for looking.
Threemorewishes

Here's a picture of the transition from the body tube to the Acme fin can.
IMG_3295.jpg

Here's another mock up with some completed and ready to go elements in Zesty Orange oil based rust paint.
IMG_3300.jpg

All thats left to do is paint on the CP/CG icons, write my contact info a few places and calibrate the altimeter. The sims give about 11k on the CTI J530 at around 75 gees. I hope I can get to LDRS32 to let this thing stretch its legs. The ejection charges are mock up duds to test for fit. The apogee recovery device compartment is very tight on available space.
Thanks for looking...Threemorewishes
ps.It came in at 1.8 pounds ready to go without motor.

IMG_3334.jpg

IMG_3337.jpg

IMG_3345.jpg

IMG_3339.jpg

IMG_3348.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice work! It sounds like you are taking this on an airplane is that correct? Any preparation for possible questions like "what is this thing with fins on it in your bag?"

The last time I took rockets on a plane was pre 9/11 and they just ignored it.

Have fun gettin that back! Looks like a million bucks!

Whoa, now that's cool!

Thank you.

Very nice work! It sounds like you are taking this on an airplane is that correct? Any preparation for possible questions like "what is this thing with fins on it in your bag?"

The last time I took rockets on a plane was pre 9/11 and they just ignored it.

Thank you. I am coming by air and across an international border to boot. It will probably be best to go right to the security screening area for large items once I get my boarding pass sorted out. I have done this with bicycle boxes in the past and never had a problem. Let them open it up, swab for suprises and make sure its all kosher.

What are you using to protect the transmitter antenna from the ejection charge?

Its a section of an old broken fibreglass fishing rod. I have the same setup in another rocket and it works great.

Have fun gettin that back! Looks like a million bucks!

Thanks. The Walston increases the odds alot. My 3 inch L rocket goes out of sight and with the Walston you walk right to it, however , my fingers are crossed that it works as planned.

Very nice build! How did you make the transition to th Acme fin can?

Thank you. In post 4 you can see the pencil line I drew around the tube about 2 inches down from the edge of the fincan. I cut a small piece of wood to this length. I mixed up some epoxy, thickened it with some suitable material, slathered it on and ran the small piece of wood around the circumference keeping one end at the pencil line and the other end at the edge of the fin can. Working slowly I was able to smooth it out pretty well. Up close it is not perfect but with the thick oil based paint layer I applied it hides the imperfections to my satisfaction. The secret is very thick and peanut buttery consistency epoxy.

Back