Oldest thing in your Build Pile

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not in my build pile, but I have an original Spaceman and an Alpha.

This thing. It's been going on since I got back into the Hobby a few Months ago.

I still have to fix my Sloppy Fin Fillets, and do more Details, but someday, there will be Primer and Paint. Faux Decal is just a Mock-up, as This Rocket will be a Tan Camo Pattern with Military Marking when it's done.

I have some old stuff in my boxes but to build or collect that is the question. Oldest would most likely be a KC-5 Citation Bomarc or the K-22 V2. I also have one of the early Bandits.

That's how I feel about the Decim8. I've pulled it out,laid it on the bench,then calmly returned it to the build pile until I get guts to build it .

The Decim8 is the senior resident of my build pile,been there two or three years now. Someday...........someday.

I am in the middle of building mine right now. I purchased it when it was first released, so it has been in the drawer for a while. It is definitely a complex rocket, and I have built a lot of complex rockets. Easily level 5. Not something for an afternoon build. I am enjoying the heck out of it. Really nice kit.

The oldest thing in my build pile is just over 1 day old. And it's not even a pile yet: the material purchases are at least 3 months into the future.

That would be my 2001 Blast From The Past Space Shuttle. It's close to being finished, and with an attention span I could probably finish it this weekend. Maybe sometime this winter build season.:blush:

I started building an Estes Saturn 1B (K-29) and Estes Saturn V (K-36) in 1973. Some day I will get around to finishing them. :flyingpig:

As for kit(s) still sealed in the package, I have an Estes Astron Cobra (K-10) that I purchased in 1974.

Estes Saturn V. Been slowly working on it for about a year, probably won't get finished for a while yet...

William, if you'd asked this 3 years ago the answer would have been a circa 1994 T.H.O.Y. Falcon but that became my level 1 rocket around this time in 2010. Now I think everything in my "to build" pile is less than a year old.

William, if you'd asked this 3 years ago the answer would have been a circa 1994 T.H.O.Y. Falcon but that became my level 1 rocket around this time in 2010. Now I think everything in my "to build" pile is less than a year old.

That means you're not doing your part to support the economy!

I may be interested in the Phoenix if he is not. Is it the 4" diameter kit?

I have an NCR Brighthawk that Matt Steele *gave* me back in 1990 (I don't remember why, except maybe that I did such a great job on the Phantom 4000 that he also gave me to build for a hobby show back in 1990). After that I have an Original Rockets Das Blue Max that I bought from Randy Gilbert at NARAM-33, and later on that same trip I got a mangled Estes LTV Scout for dirt cheap from a toy store near Toronto. There are older kits I have in possession, but they were acquired much more recently.

I started to build the Brighthawk, but got sidetracked. The Blue Max is mostly still in the bag, but I had to appropriate the nose cone for another rocket. The LTV Scout is at the bottom of a bin, for spare parts as I found a less-damaged kit later.

Complete set of Estes Goonybirds.

Well, I guess the Zoom Broom doesn't count, since it's already built.

-Kevin

Lets see... hmmm...

3 Estes Black Brant II's are pretty far up there in the age department...
1 Photon Probes
2 Photon Disruptors

Oh, I know! my Estes Saturn V. I got that in 1990 My Saturn 1B is a close second (same year)

I may be interested in the Phoenix if he is not. Is it the 4" diameter kit?

Brent,

Yes, it is the 4" kit and Glenn does not want it. If I give you a good price on it, does that mean the next time I try to introduce myself at a ROSCO/ICBM launch you will give me the time of day?

My build pile usually gets handled in LIFO order, but unfortunately since the rate of acquisition has slightly exceeded the rate of building for about 4 decades, the queue depth is probably over 400 and I'm in serious trouble.

I do have a couple of Estes TIE fighters in disintegrated bags (mid-1980's kits seem especially susceptible) that will probably get built.

I have an NCR Brighthawk that Matt Steele *gave* me back in 1990....I started to build the Brighthawk, but got sidetracked....
Amen! I was gonna post this before I saw your reply! I went completely nuts on it with a BlackSky Timer 2a and all sorts of add on crap and tricky conduits for airstarts and mods to fly weird combos..ad infinitum. "Seven Motor Madness" had been lounging in the dark for so long I look at it and go-whut the hell wuz I thinkin'? Carbon fibre arrowshafts, threaded thingies in between the tubes and now we have reloads the darn tubes are too close for 360 cases-rats! Back in the closet-until I get a bunch of SU puppies for this! Thanks-I don't feel so lonely now on my guilt trip.

Could either be my Centuri 1/45th scale Little Joe II, my Centuri Saturn 1b or my Centuri Saturn V. I had previously owned as a kid the Little Joe and the Saturn 1b, neither of which had a successful flight. The Saturn V was something I could never afford as a kid and didn't get until just a year or two ago. None of these have been started but definitely will be started sometime after I finish Sheri's Saturn V.

Lawrence

When ever you start on the FSI BB remember to lengthen the shock cord or the nose cone will snap back and damage the front end of the airframe

Bobby

What do you have in your "Build Pile" that you have owned the longest, that you definitely plan to build, but have yet to get around to it? And why have you put it off so long?

For me it is an FSI Black Brant II. I have always been fond of the Black Brants, and have even built a few. But circa 1982, building something specifically for F motors was intimidating.

Well this thread hasn't seen the light of day in awhile.

Oldest kit of the 4 in my build "pile" (more like a build row) is a Ventris that is awaiting a couple more parts and an altimeter (not to mention BP) before I start building it (not stock, thats for sure)

I have an NCR Interceptor G that I have had for maybe 15 years. I have an Estes Goblin that is probably 40+ years old, but I got it just a year or so ago.

I have two both on special from Performance Hobbies when they picked up the Smok'in Rockets line. A 7.5" Nike Smoke and 7.5" Honest John. One for 75mm motor the other for 98mm. Haven't had the time to get to a shop where I can glass the tubes and there is the formality of having to get the L3 done first.
I jumped at them because they were two for one sale at $400.00. Kurt

I have an unfinished Estes Lil Rascal that I started in the 1980's. About five years ago I primed it. Haven't done anything else on it since then.

Do you mean that I owned then? Or just oldest. I have a a Centuri Star Trooper. And a bunch of the old MPC rockets. And some MRC Rockets like a few Iron Mans etc...

Wow, I'm impressed by some of the things you guys have in the pile! I started in '72 or so and wish I still had some of my stuff from back then! The oldest things I have now are all from my post-REBAR era.

I think my oldest kit still in the bag (box) is an Estes Bullpup from around '97 or so, though I have a few others from that same era: Launch pad Hawk missile, Launch pad Bullpup C (recently started) and an Estes Mercury Redstone (Plastic fins version, capsule and tower finished).

Built oldies include a Quest 'Smoke that is still active, A T.H.O.Y. Wasp (extended, my first mid-power), Vaughn Bros. Javelin and an Aerotech HV Arcas that are also still active.

Then there is the wall of shame... An Estes Black Brant, Estes AIM-9, LOC Vulcanite, LOC Forte and about six scratch builts from the same era all (still) awaiting paint...

Back