Rocketarium Toxic Typhoon Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksm2001

Reaction score
I haven’t seen a build on this rocket nor have I seen one fly so thought I’d pick one up and try it.
Here are all the pieces; it’s all plywood and paper construction.

IMG_4658.jpg

Last edited:
I sanded all the plywood parts lightly with 320 sandpaper and dry fitted the pieces together to see how they fit. The instructions ask to cut the launch lug to the length of the motor tube so this was done before gluing all pieces together.

I noticed that it was very important to make sure the plywood wing panels are at equal angles or the paper covers won’t fit properly.

I used this web site and printed a template and glue tacked the engine tube to it so I could make sure the center rings and wing panels would all line up straight.

Use something to hold the wing panels down around the center rings or the outer ends of the wings panels won’t be level.

I glued all the plywood pieces and launch lug using titebond 3 and titebond moulding wood glue for fillets between the center rings and wing panels.

IMG_4661.jpg IMG_4666.jpg

I photocopied the paper wing skins on 110lb paper in case I messed up on cutting and gluing. A straight edge and hobby knife was used to cut each wing skin and scored the wing tabs with a hobby knife and straight edge to make straight folds.

A small dowel was used to put a curve into each wing skin. Hold the paper wing cover in the palm of your hand and press and move the dowel back and forth to get the curve you want. This works very well and makes gluing the paper on much easier.

IMG_4670.jpg

I put a small film of glue ½ way down one set of plywood wing panels and placed the skin close against the top edge of the motor tube and worked down, added glue to the next half and so on while gluing the paper to the wing panels.

The instructions mention to put glue on the bent flap pieces, but by doing this will take some sanding to remove those so I omitted that part. Once the glue was dry I used my hobby knife to trim the paper flaps off.

IMG_4673.jpg

There are gaps between the center rings and wing panels that you can see in the photo above which I didn’t care for mostly for looks, so I used epoxy and west system low density fairing filler to thicken the epoxy and filled the gaps.

IMG_4677.jpg IMG_4678.jpg

Elmer’s wood filler was used on the plywood panels to fill the wood grain, then sanded with 320 sandpaper and primed with Rustolium 2x primer.

IMG_4682.jpg

Once dry I sanded lightly and sprayed on the yellow.

IMG_4685.jpg

I left the yellow cure for a few days and masked and painted the black.

IMG_4688.jpg IMG_4690.jpg IMG_4694.jpg

I added water slide decals that were printed and cleared to each edge of the three wings.

IMG_4691.jpg

This is an easy to build kit and something with a different look from my usual tube rockets.

It's 24mm :eyepop: ....are you going to use the reccomended motors or something else?:wink:

Nice to see something different ,nice build and good looking paintjob ! It`s always a good idea to make extra copies of paper skins ,cause you just never know ,as I learned some time ago when building my first TLP kit.

That thing should take off pretty good on a 24mm motor ,even with all the drag !

Take care

Paul T

Thanks for the kind comments Tomoseph and Paul. I was thinking of flying it on a E9 first to see how it goes, then a E18.

Very cool!
Clean masks!
I'm looking forward to the flight report.

Very cool!
Clean masks!
I'm looking forward to the flight report.

Thank you Chris for the nice comments.
I'm hoping to get a chance next weekend to launch some rockets and this one will be on the list. I'll try getting some video also.

I finally had a chance to fly some rockets yesterday. The weather was perfect, no wind, hot and sunny. The launch was perfect and was impressed on how good it flew. Enjoy

[video=youtube;yTXBN7JC950]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTXBN7JC950&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Thanks for posting the vid. That is pretty cool, I dig it!

Thanks Jeff.
I didn't know what to expect, but the instructions tell you to fly it on a clam day. I think this thing would go sideways if it was flown in much wind.

Back