How many dual deploy rockets did you plan on when you bought your DD altimeter?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many rockets were planned when bought your DD altimeter?

• One rocket

• Two rockets

• Three rockets

• Four or more rockets

Results are only viewable after voting.

Zeus-cat

Reaction score
When you bought your first dual deploy altimeter, how many rockets did you plan on using it in? I had three specific designs in mind, but I have now added a fourth. Therefore, the answer to my own question is three.

My plan was to design and build a tough and rather heavy rocket to test out the mechanics of dual deploy. Once I got that working I would go to a much smaller rocket for performance and a third rocket that would be taller than me just for fun.

I have a friend who has the same brand of DD altimeter I do, and he has just one rocket for it. He actually modified an Aerotech Initiator to a dual deploy rocket. Now he wants to tinker with that rocket to make it lighter. I think he plans on sticking with the same rocket for quite a while.

So I was just wondering what other people's plans were. Did you have just one rocket in mind or did you have multiple designs in mind when you purchased your altimeter?

I didn't really think in terms of rockets, but more in terms of "I need one or two of these for whatever rockets I build in the future"

-Kevin

Before I got it, ONLY ONE :)
Then I used it and now I have 7 altimeters and 70% of my fleet uses them and of that, 20% use Dual and one used 4 ( Air starts, deployment and lots of backup, but it weighted 325lb loaded :jaw:, so there was a good reason.)
:dark:

I planned on using it in any DD rocket I might build. I only had one specific design in mind when I bought it, though.

So far I have two (3 if you count the crashed one) rockets that share the same altimeter. I also have another kit in progress, and I am going to retrofit one or two rockets to use the altimeter for apogee altitude only, or maybe altitude and backup apogee deployment. If I build more DD rockets, they will also use the same altimeter, and maybe a second one for backup (if I get a lot of money or if it's a big rocket Right now a second altimeter is very low priority in terms of stuff I want to buy).

My first ever altimeter, the co-pilot, was designed just for PML stuff, but my second and third (HiAlt45k and RRC2 mini) was designed for the LOC Vulcanite, PML Endeavor, Competitor 3, and a forth, scratch project I had going (which is currently on hold).

I planned on no rockets, I bought it to decorate my wall

I answered 4 or more. This is was for my ALTS25. But, truth is, I bought it for one specific rocket, but knew I would probably be using it in most of my future rockets just unsure how many. It's now flown in five different rockets and will fly in two others, one which is ready to go at our next launch and one in just the beginning stages of building.

I also have a second altimeter, a GWIZ which is used in two other rockets and in rockets that use dual altimeters. In fact, I now fly very few rockets WITHOUT an altimeter; they are just more reliable than motor eject.

I was only thinking of one or two rockets when I bought my first DD altimeter. Before I took the plunge, I was lucky to fly one rocket more than two times before it drifted off to Rocket Heaven, but after my first DD altimeter flight, I was hooked and at that time vowed to -never- fly a rocket again without one, even MP rockets (as long as it would fit). No matter what the motor or altitude, after a great boost it's nice to see the rocket descend under drogue (or not) and pop the main 'chute and settle down in the field, and if it's within the range head, even better.

Last year Kyle launched his Little Dog on a AT-J500MG to over 7200' and it ended up 75' from the pad.

Yes, DD is cool...WAY COOL. :D

Last edited:
I didn't really think in terms of how many rockets - I just got one for the project I was in the middle of, knowing I would continue to use it into the future.

more than four if it survive for alot of time :D:rolleyes::D:rolleyes:

i buyed my first Gwiz for a specific rocket but i knew i would use it for all the future projects
anyway, it landed really hard with the second rocket and i had to buy another, this time an RDAS(300€.. 420$ :y:)

from now, all my ebay are bulletproof, rock solid, waterproof and all the other needings to keep the altimeter safe even in lawndarts from 20+kft followed by huge explosion of the all area :cool::cool:

think about it guys;)

When I got my HiAlt45, it was for my Level 1 cert rocket and only for that rocket. My answer is one.

I've since built a L2 that I can use the same sled in. I'm now starting to think about another DD altimeter just because I might build another rocket that might need it. Of course you need the dual altimeters for L3.

The altimeter and one DD rocket was bought at the same time with the knowledge there would be more rockets and altimeters in the future.

Now I need more altimeters and more rockets. :p

It's nice to have two or three rockets with the altimeter(s) already mounted. I need more altimeters. :bangpan:

I bought one MAWD and it was awesome and the fun never stopped. Now we are up to about 12 altimeters and ALL rockets use them

Ben

I bought one Missileworks RRC2 (the old one, not the new mini), with the intention of flying it in one rocket. It flew in that rocket twice, just as a passenger, and then 32 times controlling dual deployment in another rocket (including my L2 cert flight) before I finally lost it.

Since then I've bought and flown 4 MAWDs and an HA45 in various rockets, and I just ordered an RRC2 Mini for the replacement for the rocket I lost.

Back