Vulcan: L1 cert glider

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Improvements to the nose cone.

1. Battery now inside NC, helping th CG instead of in the middle playing dead weight
2. Electric switch on NC allowing arming/disarming without taking NC apart
3. 5/16 all-thread holds battery in tip of NC, allows ballasting for different motors

Without washers, CG is right for large G motors, the smallest motors for this glider. 38mm 3G motors like H45 require about 100g of additional nose weight, or 10 washers.

Ari.

20160104_213418sm.jpg

I've been so busy flying Vulcan, I'm behind on posting. Vulcan has 14 flights since the rebuild (less than 3 months). Last Saturday it flew at Moffett and pleased the crowd. Watch to the end to hear crowd's reaction. Video by Tim Robinson.

Ari.

[video=youtube;SaZDCbe1uas]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaZDCbe1uas[/video]

Very nice!

I'll admit, applaud at a rocket launch is not very common around here, and yours looked well deserved ;)

Very cool, great shot as well, looks nice and straight, if I remember it was about 5 pounds rtf, how high did it go on that motor?

Frank

1610 ft., according to FrSky telemetry. The boost was at an angle, though it's hard to see in this shot: the glider if pitching directly away from the camera. I set the rail about 8 or 10 degrees off vertical, and the motor was still burning at apogee. I've had similar flight profiles with other long-burn motors in Vulcan, like I49 and H45. I can keep it vertical until burnout, but it feels like we'd be arguing all the way up. It's just easier to start flying it with the motor still burning.

vulcan-j94.png

That's the real limitation. Vulcan can take bigger motor, but it's hard to tell attitude this far away. After a certain altitude, all you see is a silhouette.

Vulcan flew on a J94 this Saturday at Snow Ranch, its 26th flight since the rebuild. You remember that Vulcan was my L1 cert glider. Turns out, I had an L2 glider all along.

Ari.

If that means you have your level 2 Congratulation!

" Vulcan can take bigger motor, but it's hard to tell attitude this far away. After a certain altitude, all you see is a silhouette. "

Inner Peace I take it was to be the solution, well there's always the future.

Richard

I earned my L3 in 2013, with a sewer-pipe, tubefin rocket.

Little did I realize that I was in the presence of a legend (maybe a couple). :oops::p

In Mayflower, Arkansas, on Oct. 12, 2019, the Vulcan took to the skies!

m_IMG_0497small.jpg

The event was the Small Model Airplane Lovers League in central Arkansas (near Little Rock). This was an AMA sanctioned event.

Going up....

m_IMG_3916small.jpg

m_IMG_3917small.jpg

At which point, I became a spectator; I was no longer a photographer. o_O

The G motor was very loud, but did not get the Vulcan to a high altitude. In fact, I would describe the height as "somewhat high enough" to glide. But Ari is an excellent RC pilot, and brought the rocket glider right down the runway.

I was so overwhelmed by the experience that I forgot to take anymore pics of the flight. :oops:

Very impressive, and extremely FUN. :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:........

Alright this thread is beyond cool. I’ve done multistage HPR flights to 11,563 ft. I feel your 10k ft goal is doable eventually. You’d need fpv and some kinda HAM or otherwise quality GPS telemetry to get it back where you started.

Ummmm mind if I ask how you designed the darn thing for stability, flight performance, and such? Did you chunk it in Open rocket or are there other software packages or calculations you used? Sorry rocket boosted gliders still confuse me from theoretical design aspect. If you had any design info on how to design these things safely and properly we’d welcome it. This is like the third Hpr glider I’ve seen and the only one I’ve seen use a J motor so your doing something right lol.

You really need to look at dave shaeffer's projects, he worked on a very large x30 then a 5# I powered me-163 and this k-l capable x2 rocketplane:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1607888-Giant-scale-X-2-project!

He's one of the few people that really knows how to build a k and above capable rc rocket glider and fly it successfully, I've done several g and an hpr h powered model, but I tend to build big and light so i don't need larger motors.. his stuff is very impressive.

Alright this thread is beyond cool. I’ve done multistage HPR flights to 11,563 ft. I feel your 10k ft goal is doable eventually. You’d need fpv and some kinda HAM or otherwise quality GPS telemetry to get it back where you started.

Ummmm mind if I ask how you designed the darn thing for stability, flight performance, and such? Did you chunk it in Open rocket or are there other software packages or calculations you used? Sorry rocket boosted gliders still confuse me from theoretical design aspect. If you had any design info on how to design these things safely and properly we’d welcome it. This is like the third Hpr glider I’ve seen and the only one I’ve seen use a J motor so your doing something right lol.

Last edited:
Back