Estes Up-Scale scratch build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aditat2

Reaction score
After having one of these when I was younger I thought it might be fun to build it a little bigger. It's an Estes Starliner - originally designed to take an A-10 motor - was vastly underpowered to my way of thinking, but flew pretty well in spite of that. I decided to do it large enough to mount a 24mm motor in it to give it a bit more of a kick in the butt. Should be able to go quite a way up on an E or F. Once again it utilizes a mailing tube - I seem to have a bunch of them lying around - this time 1 1/2" i.d. With the way the fins are attached I reasoned that 1/4" balsa - rather than ply - would be more than sufficient, and would help keep the weight down. Here is a shot of the BTs and fin assemblies.
100_0164.jpg

Will post more later.

As promised, here are a few more pics. What isn't shown is the internal baffle system installed due to the fact that it is recessed in behind the tube coupler and the flash didn't light the area enough for a decent picture. I still have to finish fairing the base of the nose cone to the dia. of the BT and fill all the overlaps on the tube windings to get it ready for paint, but hopefull will have it to that point by the end of the week-end.
100_0167.jpg
100_0168.jpg
100_0169.jpg
The motor retaining system is a 12oz GatorAde bottle top, before anybody asks:)

Very nice and very clean lines---you made the right choice on the balsa vs ply----no need for that weight or headaches . Make sure to pack a good size chute--those fins are asking to get dinged --hanging that far aft and all---gotta paint scheme in mind??

Funny you should mention the fins getting dinged - it fell off the table the other day and all I could think was "Sh#@ - there go the fins!"-but wonders of wonders - it didn't even nick them, and they fell on the wood floor - not on carpet. But, yeah - a good size parachute is in order - I'm thinking 30"(?). Paint scheme will be standard white - I have already up-scaled the decals so that it looks exactly like the original - only twice as large.

Finally finished. Never knew that being semi-retired would be such work; building a new chicken coop, chasing chickens around the yard, all the yard work that had been let go because of lack of time, etc. But I actually got some free time to finish this project. Let me know what you think.
100_0200.jpg
100_0201.jpg
100_0202.jpg

The decals are ones I made by upscaling the originals and printed on my ink-jet. Hope you like it.

Wicked nice rocket.
That thing looks twice as long after the paint job.

Thanks guys - can't wait for it to stop raining so I can see how it flies.

That is a great looking rocket! I love the motor retainer... Very clever.

Like the fellas have said ,that is a fine looking rocket.......I would be proud to have that in my fleet !!!!!!!!!!!!

Excellent workmanship all around ,love it. I`m starting to take a liking to those types of rockets as of late ,something about those sleek lines and fins.

Cheers

Paul T

Thanks again guys. Hopefull I'll be able to get out this week to send her up. Will post pics when I do.

Back