Wildman Tracker

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A point to make ( It may have been made, and if it has I appologize) is that the PR100, while a very good receiver, may give you issues while using the marshal transmitter. I purchased a marshal falconry transmitter for another reason, and I was limited on the frequencies I could use with the PR100. I believe i only had 5 matching frequencies. If you are going to use the marshal transmitters rather than the com spec, I would suggest the PR300 or PR400. If you buy a PR300 or PR400 you might as well buy the com spec transmitter.

My thoughts on the HAM lic. is that it is really painless, and if you ever want to buy a inexpensive handheld you should have a lic.

John

It's funny to hear different opinions about trackers. One calls it "BS" and I kinda like the idea of the "fox hunt" after a launch. The 1 foot or 10 miles thing is a bit of (drama) an exaggeration. The sensitivity adjustments on the dial and distance set points help differentiate between distances that far apart. Don't get me wrong, gps is pretty slick. I just wouldn't use it if I were given it. I guess it's just like any newer technology. The new is always better and the stuff that was the cats a$$ a few years back is now junk to the people who buy into the new gadgets.

I am in the no-BS crowd. I look at tracking as a means of simply getting my rocket back, not another hobby. I have precious little spare time as it is. GPS (no-ham-needed BRB900 in my case) immediately tells me where to go. Pretty simple. No swinging an antenna around like a wildlife biologist looking for a tagged moose, no standing on my car, no shielding/attenuating/off-tuning. I also don't want to be bothered with another exam (regardless of how easy it may be) and government license just to find my rocket. Again, I want to spend my free time on rocketry, not the ancillary stuff. I may break down and get a ham so I can use the more sophisticated GPS setups than the one I have. Technology is good!

Back