SEMROC - Omega

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boosterdude

Reaction score
Another nice kit from Semroc of the classic Omega. The decals make the finish easy, and they were easy to work with.

DSC00472.jpg

Can this kit be built to utilize the new Estes E12’s?

In both stages?

Looks sharp!!

My bet is the "Cineroc" capsule could be adapted to carry a keychain cam or pen-cam without a lot of difficulty (thus duplicating the original 'mission').

https://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/RocketKits.asp?SKU=KV-64

The Semroc spec page lists D12-0/E9-6 as a possible motor combo, implying the upper stage motor mount is built to accommodate the longer E motor.
However, no motor combo listed includes an E in the first stage, which would imply it is only built to fit the shorter D's.

But your picture above looks (at least to me) as if the LOWER stage is built longer to accommodate the E's.

You would just have to make sure both motor mounts were built long enough to fit E's, and then if you wanted to fly it on D's, use motor adapters to make it work.

That is awesome! I had an Estes Omega as a kid. Launched it on a D12-0/D12-7 combo. Never saw the upper stage comedown.

Can this kit be built to utilize the new Estes E12’s?

In both stages?

Yes, the kit is designed to handle 3.75" long motors in both stages and the E12-0 and E12-6 are noted.

Step 33 in the kit instructions for flight prepping:

"Mounting the engines: To fly the Omega as a two-stage model, select a 24mm booster engine for the bottom stage. This should have zero delay, such as a D12-0 or E12-0. If the length of the engine is 3.75”, it will work directly. If the engine is the shorter 2.75” length, you must insert a spacer (HTC-9) ahead of the engine. Insert the engine and make sure the engine hook keeps the engine in snugly. The hook may be slightly bent to make sure the engine is retained. Select an upper stage 24mm engine for the sustainer stage, such as a D12-5 or an E12-6. Again, if the engine is short, use a spacer to make it fit properly. Insert the booster coupler into the sustainer and align the fins."

I am thinking of building/flying an Omega with an F39BT in the booster and electronically ignited D12 up top. A boostervision camera in the payload bay.

It gives me chills thinking about it.

The Omega is a classic. Anyone here would do well to check out Gary Rosenfield's wonderful youtube Omega vids. Four or five stages...probably FSI F100's in the bottom, but I am not sure. Awesome in any case.

This is Ross' GORGEOUS upscale Omega on a K to K at one of the Snow Ranch launches last year. Incredible flight!

[YOUTUBE]-x5cxvOwmqc[/YOUTUBE]

I couldn't stand it. I just ordered a kit from Semroc. The Omega is just too beautiful. I HAD to have one. HAD to, I tell ya!

I couldn't stand it. I just ordered a kit from Semroc. The Omega is just too beautiful. I HAD to have one. HAD to, I tell ya!

Jim,great choice is there a upscale of this beauty in the near future?P.S.Hope your feeling better my Friend.cjp.

Jim,great choice is there a upscale of this beauty in the near future?P.S.Hope your feeling better my Friend.cjp.

Probably so. 3" or 4", I haven't decided yet. But a two stage AP rocket using a timer is one of my BAR goals.

Semroc keeps doing this over and over again. Producing I kits on a regular basis that I want but can’t afford and would not have enough time to build them even if I could.

By my calculations; by the year 2035 I will own 273 Semroc kits out of some 1,485 that I want.

Last edited:
Back