Looking for TURN-KEY High Power Rocketry Launch Controller

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

o1d_dude

'I battle gravity'
Reaction score
I'm on a fact-finding mission for the local rocketry club.

Due to the increasing numbers of rocketeers we have a need to dedicate our current launch control system to two low power racks and one mid power rack. Each rack has four pads. The current control system works fine but is limited to 12 pads. Hence the need for a new high power launch controller.

The club has funding for this additional launch control system for the high power pads and I'm tasked with developing leads on commercially available systems. We don't want to attempt an electronics project so no schematics, plans, etc., please. We're looking a turn-key/ready-to-go solution for High Power launches.

Can anyone help with leads, experiences, reviews, etc?

Thanks!

May I suggest a controller from Black Dog Rocketry. https://www.blackdogrocketry.com/ Our club, TCC, bought a system from him a couple years ago and it is outstanding. It uses relays to make sure the power source is located at the launch pad so that you get maximum current when you need it. It has the ability to launch all rockets simultaniously or in series. Ron will be able to hand deliver the system to you and help you get started. If you want the best I would go with Black Dog Rocketry.

This x 1000. 64 pad capable relayer, expandable, wireless option, rain/snow/sun/dust/bullet proof. Extremely well-priced and excellent service.

If bullet proof is a requirement, you may want to find a different launch site! ;)

If bullet proof is a requirement, you may want to find a different launch site! ;)

There's so much gunfire in the background at Bong I often think bulletproof is a requirement there.

I'll add another vote to the Wilson FX recommendation. Excellent controllers.

This x 1000. 64 pad capable relayer, expandable, wireless option, rain/snow/sun/dust/bullet proof. Extremely well-priced and excellent service.

Not to mention the fact that the humble LCU-1 unit has an "Armageddon mode"!:cool:

Our club has been struggling with launch system issues for some time now and has decided on the Wilson F/X system. I am sure the other systems mentioned in this thread are good ones.

Our particular need lead us to the Wilson system due to the expandability issue along with attending major launches around the country and seeing it used in adverse conditions without a hitch.

Brad Wilson is one of the nicest guys you would ever want to meet and will bend over backwards to see that you are satisfied with his product.

The system may seem a bit pricey at first but when you consider the PPP (price per pad) it is very reasonable and cheaper than some others and the dependability factor is priceless. It's just one less thing to worry about at your launch.

Not a Wilson F/X representative. Just a fan

Wilson/FX just plain works...... always!

It comes with everything for every padbox. 8-25ft leads with clips. The only thing you buy extra are the regular old 100ft extension cords to link pad boxes together with the launch controller.

The last 3 LDRS's used his system.

Contact or call for a set up sized to your needs. The beauty of it is that you can add on pad boxes [which fire 8 pads each] at any time in the future by simply plugging in an additional extension cord to any pad box and continuing the chain out to another bank of pads.

Ya definitely get what ya pay for & that hardly ever happens these days.

While the Wilson F/X system is awesome, your statement is not true. LDRS 30 did not use the Wilson F/X system.

Bob

True. That's because you Kloudbusters have an excellent setup of your own though :)

Oopps....sorry Bob...you are correct. It was at New York, California and again in New York[different club]. Partimers setting in.

Hello "Old Dude" and the rest of you all,

It looks like your club is growing. I know what that's like. It is a wonderful thing for a rocket club to grow, but there are some pitfalls to avoid if you can. Ground support is one of those areas where few clubs think about ahead of time, but all of us should think about ahead of time. Anybody can build a simple launch control system for even a very large model rocket club, but things change when you get into high power and the distance tables tell you how much further out you have to go.

If you are looking for a turn-key system, there are several on the market, most of which have been spoken of in this thread. Most of them will perform as advertised. But please do not buy anybody's system without asking yourself and your fellow club members some key questions about your club and your ground support needs.

1) How many pads do your club need to support right now.
2) If your club keeps growing as you've been growing, how many pads are you going to need?
3) Can the system that you choose grow with your needs?
4) What are the limiting factors to our club's ability to grow?
5) What size rockets and motors is our club flying currently?
6) What size rockets and motors is our club likely to be flying in the future?
7) How far out are you going to be setting up pads?
8) How far out can any launch control system control pads?
9) How much time will any given launch system take to set-up and tear-down?

If whatever system you're looking at can't grow as big as you expect club can grow, then why would you want to throw money away?

Wilson F/X System is the only commercially available (up to 64 pads) state of the art, digital launch control system, big enough, rugged enough, and flexible enough to put on any launch that you can imagine, including any Mid West Power, LDRS, National Sport Launch sized launches. If you've ever been to a Mid West Power Launch, then you've already seen my system in action. Wilson F/X is the only launch control system that has ever been owned by TQC, NAR-QC, and QCRS.

Please check out the threads on this website about Wilson F/X. There's more to learn.

To all of you who have lent your enthusiastic endorsements to the Wilson F/X launch system... thanks.

To those looking to see what it is and what it costs, go ahead and check it out at www.wilsonfx.com where you'll find most of what you want to know.

The simple part is $2K for a fully functional 32 pad system which will grow with your club no matter how big you get, and will plain and simply keep working. For your $2K you get a LCU-64 that can control up to 64 individual pads with no modifications whatsoever. You also get four 8-pad Pad Boxes (with 25 foot igniter leads with alligator clips) to control 32 pads in four banks for 8 pads each. Its a perfect club system, 8 pads at 50 feet for model rockets, 8 pads at 100 feet for G's thru I motors, 8 pads at 200 feet for K's thru Ls, and 8 pads at 500 feet for M's. Add a single pad box unit to your system and you have your away pad at 1000 feet. Connect them all together with one long string of 16/3 outdoor extension cords for communications and batteries at the pads and you are ready to rock!

Questions? Go ahead and send them to [email protected] and I'll do my best to answer them.

As to why I haven't replied to your emails? Well that's pretty simple. My Bishop moved me to a new church on July 1st. The web person at my last church thought he'd be helpful and drop my email and password from my last church before I could change things over and I lost EVERYTHING. My email address book was DELETED without my knowledge along with my whole archive of 6 years worth of information. Dumped into cyber space somewhere. Unfortunately, the guy wasn't good enough to reverse his actions and my old email address is no longer in existence.

My email on my web page was also deleted, so I have to get my web guy (cheap but hard to find the time to fix) to change that email as well, as it was all auto forwarded to my last church email account which as I already said got deleted without my knowing it.

Anyway, that's probably enough for now.

Brad, the "Rocket Rev.," Wilson
Wilson F/X - Chief cook and bottle washer!

I came upon this thread because our club is exploring options for a high-powered launch controller system and also wants to know what is available to purchase from a "turn-key" perspective. Our club has been borrowing a high-power controller from another club and had some complications with their system at a launch last weekend. I started to put together a list of high-level requirements and want to know if the community has additional input and suggestions for our club to consider. Here are some of the high-level requirements that I thought would be important.

1. The controller should have a safety interlock that is in series with the launch switch that is not installed until a rocket is ready for launch that includes a launch switch that returns to the “off” position when released. The function of onboard energetics and firing circuits should be inhibited except when the rocket is ready in the launching position with people at a distance that is safe for the launch.
2. The controller should have a continuity check.
3. A condition of sale should include the parts list and schematic so that we can repair it in the future.

Some other considerations include number of pads the system supports and the potential distance to the controller. Our field is relatively small, so the largest motor we could likely support is a L motor, limiting the longest distance needed to 500'. Safety is a major factor, so we want to make sure redundancies are built into the design to avoid potential problems. I am also curious to hear what the community thinks about wireless options and any other considerations we should take into account. What systems are available on the market today, and how much do they cost?

No doubt about it. If your club is launching high power, Wilson F/X....

A complete club systems requires 1 LCU (Launch Control Unit) and 1 or more PBUs (Pad Bank Unit). There are 2 LCUs: The 8 bank LCU-64 for up to 64 pads and the 16 bank LCU-128 for up to 128 pads. The are 3 PBUs: The single pad PBU-1, the 4 pad PBU-4 for up to 4 pads, and the 8 pad PDU-8 for up to 8 pads.

It is a 2-way digital system that can be operated wired with 3 wire extension cords, wireless with radios, or in any combination. For wireless operation you need to plug a WRU-c (Wireless Radio Unit - Control) into the LCU and another WRU-c in each bank you want to operate in the wireless mode.

Prices are reasonable. The LCUs are $250 and $300 respectively. The PBU are $125, $275 and $500 respectively and the WRUs are $150. This is really a plug-and-play system. The cheapest 100' x 16 gauge extension cords cost $30 at Harbor freight so for L3 pads wireless is cheaper and more convenient, however if you need a wireless 500' pad, you should consider the convenience and speed of setup/teardown of wireless L1 and L2 HP pads as well....

A basic system would be 1 LCU for $250 or $300 + 2 PBU-8s for $1000 for Mod Roc and L1 pads + 2 PBU-4s for $550 for the L2 and L3 pads. Mod Roc pad and L1 pad would require (3) 100' extension cords (and 2 spares), and the L2 and L3 pads would use 3 WRU-c for $450. That's $2250 for the FX launch system + $150 for extension cords for a total of $2400 for 24 pads potential or $100 per pad.

It's modular, so if you purchase smart, you already have backup components. The above system is designed with fall-back configurations. If you loose a PBU, you can double up the L1 pads with the L2 pads. If you loose a WRU-c you can run the L2 pads with extension cords.

The above system only uses 4 banks, so there is plenty of room for future expansion. Purchase another 1 or more PBU-8s to expand the Mod Roc, L1 and/or L2 capacities as required, and purchase another WRU-c if you want the expand the wireless HP pad banks, and could purchase a second LCU-64 or -128 as a spare control unit.

Yes, you probably can put together a corded homebrew system for 1/2 to 2/3s the price, but it's not worth it. The Wilson F/X system is tried and true and used by a couple dozen rocketry clubs. URRG unfortunately does not have a Wilson F/X system, and the homebrew URRG launch system was mostly completed the day before LDRS 31 started and has been a constant headache since when used at large National (LDRS 31 and 34) and Regional (URRF 1 and 2) launches. It uses ~1 km of CAT5 cable which has to be run and checked for continuity repeatedly and was susceptible to moisture that caused a sequenced salvo fire of the L1 pads at LDRS 34 because a special effects fireworks relay controller was used in the pad banks. When I consider the 100+ hours of trouble shooting and retrofits that were require to make the system work, the Wilson F/X system would been a far better choice.

If you are a smaller club and just want to launch rockets, buy a Wilson F/X system. If you like to tinker and swear when stuff doesn't work, built your own, and give everyone a reason to complain when it doesn't work.

Bob

$100 per pad is ridiculously high.

There are no truly commercial launch controllers for the rocket hobby. They're all designed and built by a couple of guys in their garage.

Hello John,

I apparently don't understand your last post where you say that there are "no truly commercial launch controllers for the rocket hobby." I'm pretty sure that both Estes, Aerotech, and a few others would disagree with you. They both build controllers for the hobby.

If you meant to say that that there are no club sized commercial launch controllers on the market, then I guess I have to ask what you mean by "commercial?" Were the original Apple Computers not "commercial" because they were built in a garage? There might be more than just a few people out there who would disagree with your apparent definition of commercial.

If a requirement to be "commercial" is that you have to have a huge factory someplace producing your products, then I will admit that Wilson F/X Digital Control Systems are not "commercial." But since when is a huge factory a requirement for something to be considered "commercial?" And for your information none of the components of the Wilson F/X family of launch system are being built in anybody's garage. Both our circuit boards and our various unit enclosures units are being manufactured in two separate basements, not garages. Sometimes we've also been known to do the occasional programming task at the dining room table.

I would agree with you that a price of $100 per pad is a bit expensive. But a club sized 32-pad launch system from Wilson F/X costs $2000. That's only $62.50 per pad and that includes a 10 year guarantee against manufacturer's defects. The original Wilson F/X 32-pad launch system has been in continuous operation with the Quad Cities Rocket Society since it was originally built back in 2003 and this is now 2016. Yes, I have had to replace some toggle switches, some push-button continuity checking switches, and a couple of buzzers. But the original circuit boards are still operating 13 years later. Even if the system had only lasted for 10 years it would still only be $6.25 per pad controlled per year and that's not very expensive at all.
That same 32-pad Wilson F/X system, going completely wireless, would cost $2800 at a price of $87.50 per pad. Over ten years that just $8.75 per pad per year which is still less than $100 per pad.

The market for club sized launch systems is very small. But even so, the last I checked there were still several companies producing launch systems for club use. Wilson F/X is only one company. But we are here to stay and our guarantee shows that we're here for the long run. And the longevity of our system in the hands of regular clubs across this great country speaks to our reliability. There are now 26 clubs of all shapes and sizes (NAR and TRA) across the USA plus one in Australia (the "Thunda-Down Under" folks) who are using Wilson F/X launch systems. Wilson F/X is ready, right out of the box, to control up to 128 separate pads in up to 16 banks of 8 pads each. Nobody comes even close to that.

If you've got questions, please ask around. I think that you will find that Wilson F/X is the most flexible, ready to use out of the box, club-sized, easily expandable, safe, reliable, NSL to LDRS sized launch system on the market. I will put my system up for a real head to head comparison with anybody's club sized launch system. Right now, Wilson F/X is the top of the line club-sized launch system bar none. If there's anybody out there building a better system I haven't heard even a rumor of them.

And lastly, the Wilson F/X Team works hard to continue to stay at the top, producing the best club sized launch system on the market. If you've got questions please feel free to ask. Wilson F/X is up to anybody's questions.

WilsonFX is perfect. You can't go wrong with this product.

I apparently don't understand your last post where you say that there are "no truly commercial launch controllers for the rocket hobby." I'm pretty sure that both Estes, Aerotech, and a few others would disagree with you. They both build controllers for the hobby.

Since the topic is about high power pads, I don't think Estes or Aerotech have anything to say about it.....

Lots of words there, but my points still stand. No truly commercial (HPR club sized) launch controllers, and your's is expensive. That is the correct response to the original poster's inquiry, IMO. For typical sized clubs' needs, it's $100 per pad.

I'm sure you take pride in your product, and it's being used by many groups. It's just not going to work for most clubs who can't afford it, or don't trust a closed design. Many clubs have members with commercial electronics and embedded software experience, and can provide a less expensive "open" system with local support. Plus, it's a hobby and people enjoy contributing to their expertise to their rocket club.

Hello John,

If you meant to say that that there are no club sized commercial launch controllers on the market, then I guess I have to ask what you mean by "commercial?" Were the original Apple Computers not "commercial" because they were built in a garage? There might be more than just a few people out there who would disagree with your apparent definition of commercial.

If a requirement to be "commercial" is that you have to have a huge factory someplace producing your products, then I will admit that Wilson F/X Digital Control Systems are not "commercial." But since when is a huge factory a requirement for something to be considered "commercial?" And for your information none of the components of the Wilson F/X family of launch system are being built in anybody's garage. Both our circuit boards and our various unit enclosures units are being manufactured in two separate basements, not garages. Sometimes we've also been known to do the occasional programming task at the dining room table.

I would agree with you that a price of $100 per pad is a bit expensive. But a club sized 32-pad launch system from Wilson F/X costs $2000. That's only $62.50 per pad and that includes a 10 year guarantee against manufacturer's defects. The original Wilson F/X 32-pad launch system has been in continuous operation with the Quad Cities Rocket Society since it was originally built back in 2003 and this is now 2016. Yes, I have had to replace some toggle switches, some push-button continuity checking switches, and a couple of buzzers. But the original circuit boards are still operating 13 years later. Even if the system had only lasted for 10 years it would still only be $6.25 per pad controlled per year and that's not very expensive at all.
That same 32-pad Wilson F/X system, going completely wireless, would cost $2800 at a price of $87.50 per pad. Over ten years that just $8.75 per pad per year which is still less than $100 per pad.

The market for club sized launch systems is very small. But even so, the last I checked there were still several companies producing launch systems for club use. Wilson F/X is only one company. But we are here to stay and our guarantee shows that we're here for the long run. And the longevity of our system in the hands of regular clubs across this great country speaks to our reliability. There are now 26 clubs of all shapes and sizes (NAR and TRA) across the USA plus one in Australia (the "Thunda-Down Under" folks) who are using Wilson F/X launch systems. Wilson F/X is ready, right out of the box, to control up to 128 separate pads in up to 16 banks of 8 pads each. Nobody comes even close to that.

If you've got questions, please ask around. I think that you will find that Wilson F/X is the most flexible, ready to use out of the box, club-sized, easily expandable, safe, reliable, NSL to LDRS sized launch system on the market. I will put my system up for a real head to head comparison with anybody's club sized launch system. Right now, Wilson F/X is the top of the line club-sized launch system bar none. If there's anybody out there building a better system I haven't heard even a rumor of them.

And lastly, the Wilson F/X Team works hard to continue to stay at the top, producing the best club sized launch system on the market. If you've got questions please feel free to ask. Wilson F/X is up to anybody's questions.

Lots of words there, but my points still stand. No truly commercial (HPR club sized) launch controllers, and your's is expensive. That is the correct response to the original poster's inquiry, IMO. For typical sized clubs' needs, it's $100 per pad.

I'm sure you take pride in your product, and it's being used by many groups. It's just not going to work for most clubs who can't afford it, or don't trust a closed design. Many clubs have members with commercial electronics and embedded software experience, and can provide a less expensive "open" system with local support. Plus, it's a hobby and people enjoy contributing to their expertise to their rocket club.

I agree completely with you there. I am trying to start a club on in Tasmania and being on an island also means freight costs can be a killer. Everyone keeps suggesting that I get a WilsonFX system and pads which cost $200 each. I plan to have 4-8 lpr pads, 4 mpr-hpr pads and a single away pad. The lpr pads are simple, but if I follow everyone's advise it will cost me well over $3000. That's fine for an established club but for someone trying to get a new club started a cheaper club starter option would be nice. If I bought a WilsonFX, It would be my motor budget for the year gone. Once the club gets up and running then I might consider it, but for the first few years it is unlikely.

Last edited:

It's more than just that he has pride in his product. The response was defending the comment that there are no systems available. The Wilson F/X system IS by far the best and they do a great job supporting it. As far as you saying "it won't work for clubs who can't afford it" that would be true for ANY product that costs more than the club has to spend. Lots of clubs with poor launch systems should see this as an investment in the clubs infrastructure. Basically what I'm saying is.....if the club can't afford it, start a budget and save for one. It will be the last one the club buys.

Back