Rail Button 3D Model/ TARC rail

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnhg7

Reaction score
Our TARC team this year is looking into using a rail instead of a 1//4" rod, with the hope of more consistent flights. A few of us are in the senior engineering class, where we can work on pet projects. So naturally I decided to see if the 3D printer (Maker Bot Replicator) could make rail buttons. Unfortunately I have not been able to find dimensions for them, so I took a manual caliper to my LOC IV and got the file below. (If you would like the model file or the drawing let me know, TRF doesn't allow those extensions.)

1010 rail button-1.jpg

Does anyone know if this looks correct? Are there any modifications that can be made to improve it?

And also:

Do you have a favorite dirt cheap design for a rail base?

Thanks!
Jack

I found some dimensions here but I am not sure if these are just guidelines. Yours are very close.

Ok, I'll give you my secret for how I make my own rail-buttons.

I use nylon finishing washers, like found here and here.

I tried to find you sites that had the dimensions.

I like the way you can countersink the screw, and the shoulders are angled instead of square cut.

I actually buy mine from my local Ace Hardware. The hard part for me is cutting the #6 nylon spacer down to ~1/8".

Yes, it's a 3pc button, but it works very well, and is certainly worth ~60 cents....

Now, shhh, don't tell anyone my secret!

Dirt cheap rail base? For that I use a halogen light stand, similar to this one, but mine is more heavy duty.

I drilled two holes in the stand, and use carriage bolts that slide into the rail, easily removable!

Most light stands I have seen have an adjustable foot, so you can even change the angle of the rail.

:2: Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Jack- good job! Just an observation. 3D replicators do just that-replicate. You have the same outward appearance,but I'm a little worried about the strength. You will have a screw to provide some structural strength, but the forming process is layered rather than a more homogenous extrusion or injection mold process. I know times have changed, but the prototyper 3D unit we used for mockups made some pretty brittle parts. Like Jeff, I like mine countersunk and it's deluxe if the square edges on the top are broken (rounded) for airfoiling. You may also want to check out ACME conformal rail guides- I luv 'em.

Back