Paint Schemes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm about ready to lay on some paint on my Aerotech Initiator, but haven't really decided on what colors. Based on my Big Daddy that some of you may have seen that has a neon orange fin can with the Van Halen strips, white body and blue nose cone, I was thinking maybe to paint the Initiator similar? Maybe neon green fins with the Van Halen strips and the nose cone and maybe 3" from the top of the airframe neon green with the strips. I have a 30" neon green Top Flight chute that would work well for this rocket and it would be high visibility while it's on the desert floor. Aerotech has the Mojave Green motor so that would look pretty cool to launch near dusk.....just my two cents..

Any other suggestions. I mean I also like the stock paint scheme too...:D

Almost any color you lay down will be more striking on a black background---this is particularly true of neon tones--neon green or blue on a black background will knock your eyeballs out---try it you'll like it---rule 121 from the Book of Hornet

I really dread painting black. I was going to paint my Bat Ray this evening, but the humidity is so high right now, that I thought I best wait until better conditions. I'm trying to avoid any frustration.

Painting black is like cooking the perfect steak---you have a 50-50 chance--if you get it bad --it's still better than going out--if you get it just right--HEAVEN--I've seen your work----heaven waits---GO BLACK MY SON----rule 134----what's behind you does not matter----H

Loose the white---trust me----add blue and orange neon---no not orange---tangerine--- that's the ticket--H

we'll see...post some links to the paint you suggested and I might do it?? Not sure yet?

What shade of blue? I think royal would be too dark against black...the tangerine would look cool...even tangerine and yellow would look good.

1st rule of “Paint Schemes”; no matter how great you think the paint scheme is on your rocket you will inevitably see that same rocket in another’s hands with a scheme you like better.

2nd rule of “Paint Schemes”; forget trying to emulate those amazing “Show Car” finishes on some peoples rockets. Those folks are Alchemists and have made a Faustian Bargain.
Somewhere in their garage or attic there is a rocket that is getting ever more grotesque and decrepit with each fantastic paint job produced by these Sorcerers.

3rd rule of “Paint Schemes”; when asked why all of your rockets are just painted in gray/white primer, you tell them; “Paint adds weight” with a superior look on your mug.

Yeah I'm in the lab until wee hours thinking of ways to make a deal with the Finish gods.

This was what ended up after a vision of : First prime, Paint with white one coat, Then while spraying with one hand sprinkle micro fine glitter over the sprayed area with the other, brush of excess glitter, clear coat sand, decals, clear coat, Mix a small amount of transparent violet with black and paint nose cone. Spend many days having people tell me I'm all sparkly. Well it is almost Alchemy but I love it when a plan comes together.

Close up of Onyx finish by jiffycoil, on Flickr

Onyx by jiffycoil, on Flickr

That looks so cool!! I like the large font and colors you chose, awesome looking rocket.

Thanks,
I just wanted to show that paint and finishing can always be an experiment. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. In the end it really all about flying the rocket. That's the fun part.

Latest posts

Back