L3 "Sky Thumper"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MitchR

Air Defender
Reaction score
Well, as some of you may remember back in 2007 I attempted my level 3 at Southern Thunder. Beautiful flight, great event at apogee, but come 1200' we could all hear the pop of the charges going off...but the sheer pins...didn't sheer all the way and snagged my main chute. It never pulled all the way out. Long story short, I was going to make repairs but it couldn't happen for a while due to circumstances. Now, years later, it's time - and it will happen. Sadly "Lactose Intolerant" and many others of my old fleet were taken (long story) so this will be an entirely new build.

Last beauty was a 9' extended 5.5" diameter LOC Big Nuke 3E with G10 fins that flew to a nice 10,500'. This time around I'm going with an extended 10" Polecat Thumper, hence its new title "Sky Thumper". I have already put a longer 98mm motor tube in it and will be doing 3 layers of glass tip to tip over the fin can and another 3 layers of glass tip to tip over the body tube. She's just a tad over 12' tall, 10" diameter and purdy. Still debating paint scheme.

Two altimeters - Stratologger and the new RRC2. I will be using a SkyAngle chute (size to be determined, depending on how heavy she is when I get closer!) with 4k lb test tubular nylon. First flight will be on an M1297W (once again, pending final weight - but we should be good). I'm expecting somewhere between 3300-4000'.

Pictures to follow. Would have started earlier but schedule has been crazy. I wanted something bigger and slower. Thumper was the answer. :)

I built the nike smoke. Mine weighted in at 49 lbs empty.

Nice kits - easy to build.

Well most people make molds from male parts, so it could be considered "maleing" them?

Nice choice!! I did my Level III with a 10" Thumper. Unless you just like fiber-glassing or want the experience the Thumper is a beast and isn't going to break Mach and shouldn't need any tip 2 tip. I've flown mine a few times at Lucerne dry lake were its like landing in a paved parking lot and so far no fin problems

Last edited:
I see he's also pulled the Thumper from the website. Jack's the vendor at the launches I attend so I guess Ill have to ask him "What's Up"

I see he's also pulled the Thumper from the website. Jack's the vendor at the launches I attend so I guess Ill have to ask him "What's Up"

what-you-did-there-i-see-it_thumbnail.jpg

I just bought a 10" Nike Smoke from what's up about a month ago. Sitting downstairs waiting for me to finish my L3 proposal.

Ted Apke
TRA 3726

I just bought a 10" Nike Smoke from what's up about a month ago. Sitting downstairs waiting for me to finish my L3 proposal.

Ted Apke
TRA 3726

Ayyy yahhh!!!! Jack was supposed to notify me when he got them back in!!! WHAT'S UP?!!!!

Nice choice!! I did my Level III with a 10" Thumper. Unless you just like fiber-glassing or want the experience the Thumper is a beast and isn't going to break Mach and shouldn't need any tip 2 tip. I've flown mine a few times at Lucerne dry lake were its like landing in a paved parking lot and so far no fin problems

I agree with this. I built my nike without tip to tip without and problems.

Very nice! Do you have some photos of some of your flights?

The extension is simply another one of Jack's 48" body tubes. I plan on flying her on some larger motors, like the N5800, so I figured a little bit of fiberglass on the fin can wouldn't hurt.

My wife has decided to build a thumber as is for her level 3. I am very happy to see that she has decided to make the jump.

Very nice! Do you have some photos of some of your flights?

The extension is simply another one of Jack's 48" body tubes. I plan on flying her on some larger motors, like the N5800, so I figured a little bit of fiberglass on the fin can wouldn't hurt.

Sounds like lots of fun. N sized motors arn't allowed in CA. so N's were never on my list for this rocket. I ended up using a Aerotech M1850 to cert on. Will you be glueing the airframes together or will you be able remove the extension and fly it as a regular thumper? There used to be a photographer named Gary Moratz that would come out to the ROC launches so I only have some pictures he took from my level III launch.

thumperliftoff.JPG

Sounds like lots of fun. N sized motors arn't allowed in CA. so N's were never on my list for this rocket. I ended up using a Aerotech M1850 to cert on. Will you be glueing the airframes together or will you be able remove the extension and fly it as a regular thumper? There used to be a photographer named Gary Moratz that would come out to the ROC launches so I only have some pictures he took from my level III launch.

Unless I change my mind I have it designed right now so that the extension tube bolts onto the electronics bay. So it goes Nose cone - body tube - e-bay - booster right now. I ordered extra 10" diameter stiffy tubes to go inside of the tube to strengthen the overall rocket and add some more weight.

It's been a while, but "Sky Thumper" is almost done. When I get back from Afghanistan, I'll be finishing up fillets, conducting ground testing and getting ready to fly this thing. I'll try and post some pictures later for you guys.

Active Duty has not been very nice to my schedule but I wanted to share some since the community here has shared so much with me. :)

Back