Paintball

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomoseph

Reaction score
Ok so for my friends birthday we went paintballing. So anyways I'm sprinting to a bunker and some guy sees me and goes :bangbang: with his $2500 paintball gun that shoots 50 rounds per second :eyepop: he must of spent $100 in paintballs on my back:sigh:. He also tried to get me again but only managed to hit my facemask totally blinding me :shock:. I got hit a few more times once my friends dad got me in the leg, and when I was walking back to the base he sprayed me and managed to get 3 hits on me (even though I was already out :mad:), have any of you guys played paintball?

Tomoseph...I played paintball way back when it first came out in the late 80's up in the Poconos of Pa.....back then, the pistols were single shot..kinda like a bolt action rifle...it was who was the best shot that won....I went back a few years later and the guns you described which were semi-automatic....for every shot I fired 10 were coming back at me....I was troubled by the changes in the rules...when I started if you made a head shot you were out of the game until the next match (we had to capture a flag and return it to your base...) that could take a while so it was a real incentive to aim carefully...once the new guns came..those rules went out the door....people were shooting paint balls like using a garden hose. (we didn't have full face masks back then btw.....) ...I felt like Sgt. York with a 1903 Springfield taking on a battalion armed with MG42's....it is a lot of fun though!!

Tomoseph...I played paintball way back when it first came out in the late 80's up in the Poconos of Pa.....back then, the pistols were single shot..kinda like a bolt action rifle...it was who was the best shot that won....I went back a few years later and the guns you described which were semi-automatic....for every shot I fired 10 were coming back at me....I was troubled by the changes in the rules...when I started if you made a head shot you were out of the game until the next match (we had to capture a flag and return it to your base...) that could take a while so it was a real incentive to aim carefully...once the new guns came..those rules went out the door....people were shooting paint balls like using a garden hose. (we didn't have full face masks back then btw.....) ...I felt like Sgt. York with a 1903 Springfield taking on a battalion armed with MG42's....it is a lot of fun though!!

I believe there are different classes now for different types of guns, so you don't have to carry around a $1500 full auto 30 ball-per-second gun to be competitive. My girlfriend used to play competitive paintball with a pump action several years ago.

I played it once many years ago like NJRick. It was fun, but the guys who took it way too seriously sort of ruined it for the guys like me. We rented our stuff at the field and were seriously outclassed by the guys who had the super-duper guns.

I play, I try to get out once a month.

I find it quite fun with 4 friends or so, with my nice little $125 gun I think i do pretty good.... Until my friend with his new $400 fun comes by and hits me with 10 balls in a second!

lots of fun memories though...I have a close friend that came up with us to play....my team of 12 got teamed up with a group of guys from New York...as we close in on the enemy flag the other teams begins yelling as if they were charging the flag...my buddy gets up, wild eyed look and yells "C'mon Rick they are going for the flag!!".... the problem was..they weren't charging the flag at all...they were just yelling....within 5 steps he charges into no mans land....completely alone....you could see the heads of every opposing team member turn in unison and start to track him...as if on radar directed fire control...a split second later he gets hit like 25 times..it was as if watching a Hollywood movie in slow motion...just bursts of paint blasting off of him and around him....he comes trudging back, covered head to toe in paint....he was complaining thanking us for the support...I called him John Basilone for the rest of the day...I was like "look John, if you are going to charge the enemy forces, you might as well do it with a .30 cal like you did on the 'Canal...but up here in the Poconos...with a single shot pop gun...you are on your own!" fun times for sure.

I played it once many years ago like NJRick. It was fun, but the guys who took it way too seriously sort of ruined it for the guys like me. We rented our stuff at the field and were seriously outclassed by the guys who had the super-duper guns.

Looks like fun! but the spray and pray kind of kills it, no pun intended, I know it is not training, its for fun! But I can hit what I aim at one shot at a time, full auto makes bad marksman. Suppressive fire just suppresses the game. IMHO

Paintball was messy and expensive, so I took up airsoft for a short while... Here is the website that really got me started in airsoft:

https://www.youtube.com/user/scoutthedoggie

My friends and I have some pretty nice electric airsoft guns, but we use semi-automatic most of the time. A lot of us have scopes, too, so that helps with accuracy. Of course we use pretty much exclusively full-auto for night airsoft with no lights. That can get pretty crazy!

Im to slow with my bum leg, so have fun, unless your paint ball gun or air soft can hit a target 1500 yds out then we will talk.

I built a gun that fires paintballs (.68cal) has a very low rate of fire...but it can put dents in a 55gal drum :). has a barrel 5' long.
rex

paintballcropped.jpg

I kinda retired from paintball recently, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

My style of play was mostly Mil-Sim paintball.

My rig is a Tippmann A5 with all the Tech-T mods, E-trigger, HPA tank. I set it up for 20 rounds per second (plenty fast enough for spray-and-pray shooting! :D)

I used 3 barrels:

Stock 8" for close quarter house clearing
JJ Ceramic 18" for middle-of-the-road bush/obstacles
A 24" long barrel for longer distance single-shot targets.

forgot to mention that mine is a combustion launcher (thus against the rules last I heard) using metered propane for fuel. to reload you have to unscrew the barrel :).
rex

forgot to mention that mine is a combustion launcher (thus against the rules last I heard) using metered propane for fuel. to reload you have to unscrew the barrel :).
rex

There is usually also a 300fps limit.

yeah that too, side note paintballs ain't very accurate at speeds over 400fps, about 1 in 4 well make a strange curve...
rex

yeah that too, side note paintballs ain't very accurate at speeds over 400fps, about 1 in 4 well make a strange curve...
rex

As advanced as the markers have become, paintball generally still relies on 17th century aerodynamics for it's "shot".
Lets face it: Spheres generally suck as being projectiles, unless they are extremely heavy (cannonballs).

Never tried paintball but I I'd give air soft a go. Didn't do so good, kinda hard to be competitive when you walk with a cane. Here's a pic of me at the Echo1 Appreciation Day event at Desert Fox Field in Victorville, CA a couple of years ago:

TDAirsoftWoodland.jpg

This was my first - and last - serious all day event. I managed to be on the field for 10 whole minutes before being taken out in the first round of the day. It was a very hot day as well and before I knew what was happening I was suffering from heat exhaustion. Spent most of the rest of the day laying in the shade in my van recovering. Decided that as much as I wanted to make it work I just have too many physical limitations for it to be feasible.

I played on a club team at Marquette University a couple of years ago. I had a blast playing other schools from around the midwest. Before that I started in middle school with a few friends and kind of progressed from there. Never owned a $2500 gun or even close. I bought a Smart Parts Ion and upgraded the internals to make it fire a little smoother and be more efficient with air usage. It's a great gun, and hasn't let me down yet. Most of my team had them and we were able to beat teams with super expense Dye and Planet Eclipse guns. Just because you buy something expensive doesn't mean you know how to use it (not all the time, but in some situations). Don't play as much as I used to since I have gotten more into HPR, but still go from time to time with my friends.

Lasertag and paintball are awesome fun. I used to play it is residency.

Never tried paintball but I I'd give air soft a go. Didn't do so good, kinda hard to be competitive when you walk with a cane. Here's a pic of me at the Echo1 Appreciation Day event at Desert Fox Field in Victorville, CA a couple of years ago:

This was my first - and last - serious all day event. I managed to be on the field for 10 whole minutes before being taken out in the first round of the day. It was a very hot day as well and before I knew what was happening I was suffering from heat exhaustion. Spent most of the rest of the day laying in the shade in my van recovering. Decided that as much as I wanted to make it work I just have too many physical limitations for it to be feasible.

Yeah, my son and I walked halfway through a match after we nearly passed out from heat exhaustion... The game was fun though. Our event that day was being played next to a death match paintball field... we were the cleaner bunch that day...

Back