Sabertooth Custom 24mm

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WizardOfAZ

Reaction score
About a year an a half ago,,, I created this design with a Squire kit. I never finished the Squire, and eventually robbed it for parts before it ever flew. Having some spare parts laying around, I set out to build a 24mm scratch build. I really hadn't planned on doing the "sabertooth" design again,,, but it just sorta happened,,, and I like it!

All the photos of the entire build can be viewed here : https://www.rocketryforum.com/album.php?albumid=323

In a nutshell, here's the fin design :
attachment.php

Here's the whole rocket :
attachment.php

Last edited:
Whoa! Just had a major monsoon pass through Surprise, AZ! Pretty cool to watch so much water fall that my patio becomes a pool! The only problem is,,, my Sabertooth was out front with paint on it drying! Fortunately, the paint had dried, and I was able to towel it off unharmed... Photos to come...

Here's the latest photos of the painted Sabertooth. It's a striped rendition utilizing blue, purple & yellow...

ForumRunner_20120906_184003.png

ForumRunner_20120906_184023.png

Hmmm, the full size photo is a bit dark. I'll try to take a better one. But the second photo of the fins is what the entire rocket looks like...

Really nice work on your paint.What motors do you plan to fly it on?A F40W would make it rip off the pad.You may want to add some chalk to the parachute to aid in tracking it in your very high Arizona Blue sky.

Well, actually, this has a pin for Estes E9's. It's rather limiting, but after my recent loss (my first ever), I thought keeping this cat tame would be a good idea...

Very nice! While I agree with keeping it tame as far as motor selection goes, don't shy away from the 24/40 reloads. I love the E18!

Oh, I have no problem with using anything bigger that fits. I just haven't got into reloads yet, so I didn't know that. I would love to give it a try!

If you're interested at all in mid power, invest in the 24/40 AT case. Same size as an Estes D, and hold D-F loads. LOVE it!

Oh, I have no problem with using anything bigger that fits. I just haven't got into reloads yet, so I didn't know that. I would love to give it a try!

I was a bit nervous on my first reload... just follow the instructions to a T and you'll be fine... I generally grease all the O rings first, then clean my hands thoroughly and use my pinky to pick them up via the slight tack the grease provides... This helps ensure you don't accidentally get grease on the face of the delay grain (bad things happen)...

Very cool! I love the fins. :) Is it BT-55?

No clue. I don't get too into the specifics. When I'm standing there in the shop, if the nose fits the tube, I buy 'em! Your guess is probably accurate if you know what you're talking about.

Well, this past weekend at the GHS Memorial Launch in Rainbiw Valley, AZ, I got to launch the Sabertooth, and it was a total success! I have no launch photos or video as my camera momentarily malfunctioned. I highly recommend my "sabertooth" design to anyone lookjng for a very stable rocket. It flew as straight as it could on an E9-4 for a perfect flight and recovery...

Well, this past weekend at the GHS Memorial Launch in Rainbiw Valley, AZ, I got to launch the Sabertooth, and it was a total success! I have no launch photos or video as my camera momentarily malfunctioned. I highly recommend my "sabertooth" design to anyone lookjng for a very stable rocket. It flew as straight as it could on an E9-4 for a perfect flight and recovery...

I might build one, when my build queue gets shorter. I've got loads of that tubing and a couple of those nose cones.
I'll let you know if/when I get around to it. :)

Awesome! I would love to see any rendition of my fin design. Have fun! Post photos!

Back