Help Support RocketryForum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Von Delius blasts TRA J and K records on same day

Von Delius blasts TRA J and K records on same day

August 16, 2012

Curt von Delius flying his state of the art JMAX has again set the new TRA certified single stage J class altitude record of 23,735’ AGL, eclipsing his previous record of 19,758’ by a full 20% or 3977’. The flight was made at AeroPacs’ Aeronaut launch on August 3rd in the Blackrock Desert.

Later that day with his ultra lightweight KMAX, von Delius set a new TRA certified single stage K altitude record of
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JMAX.JPG 
Views:	381 
Size:	195.2 KB 
ID:	95193Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KMAX.jpg 
Views:	344 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	9519431,643’ AGL beating the existing record by better than 8%, proving that a K class rocket can fly over 30,000’ feet.

JMAX - This is his third attempt with the new design powered by an Aerotech J510W. “It all came together for this flight, perfect surface and winds aloft and a very straight boost”. “It’s great to have finally broken 20,000 feet with a J Class rocket, heck, nearly 24,000 feet!” von Delius said. “Amazingly, the actual altitude flight data was within 14’ feet of the simulations.” The J510W burns for 2.37 seconds accelerating the JMAX to Mach 2.7 or just over 2000 miles per hour and pulling a max 80 gees. One veteran spectator commented “That rocket was honking out of the pad.”

KMAX – The latest KMAX design is Curt’s fourth attempt to set a new K record. “The previous flights have led to design refinements which made this flight possible” said von Delius. “Last year we missed the record by 45’ feet.” Powered by a long burning Cesaroni K300, the KMAX
    hits Mach 2.2 while pulling 20.72 gees. “We knew it had gone really high when it took eight minutes to touch down” said Curt.

Von Delius’ tower launched designs utilize CAD designed carbon fiber, quartz fiber and lightweight CNC aluminum structures as well as, his own custom chutes and deployment.

I saw these rockets at Aeronaut. They are an impressive example of the application of relevant technology and an incredibly efficient use of minimal space.

Great work Curt!

Between the topsoil and the sun. A surface dweller.
    And i think breaking 10k on 1200 ns is a big deal....
    SWEET!

"Dad, I am going to put a big motor in this skinny rocket... its going to disapear like a ghost!!!.....

Wow, from a look at the alt data on the Tripoli site, both of these flights were single deploy, main at apogee.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
    Wow, from a look at the alt data on the Tripoli site, both of these flights were single deploy, main at apogee.
    Excellent records. Altimeter data for a flight over 30kft. I thought GPS would be required?

Jeroen

That is very impressive. I must bow to superior craftsmanship.
    -----------------------
    Chuck Haislip
    NAR/Tripoli Level 3
    Formerly a Prefect of ICBM - TRA #60

Level 1 - LOC Minie Magg; Level 2 - PR Broken Arrow;
    Level 3 - 10 inch Nike Smoke
    2015 Ns for Year: 1315 Newtons
    My rockets usually fly naked. If they survive, they earn their paint.

Come fly with ROSCo or ICBM in Camden SC => http://rocketrysouthcarolina.org

Curt's rockets are truly things of craftsmanship and aerodynamics. They have features not noticeable in the photos. Curt's had some bugs to work out on his M rocket. Hopefully at XPRS he will amaze us yet again with some incredible altitude!.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Jeroen_at_CTI View Post
    Excellent records. Altimeter data for a flight over 30kft. I thought GPS would be required?

Jeroen
    Agreed. The rules state no application above 30k will be accepted without GPS data, yet it's not posted. Was there GPS? If not, rules are rules. Fly it again with the additional gear!

Awesome altitudes, though. Keep pushing it!
    -Ken

No way that you could fit any Tripoli-legal GPS into that nosecone. No way.

Several rocket motors burned this year.