OK, What about Pizza?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I make my own most of the time.

When i am up in Burlington, VT I like American Flatbread (who also make the only frozen pie I can tolerate). They have a nice brewery as well.

Here in central NH there isn't much to get excited about pizza-wise. Lots of decent places but I can make my own better. I can get a passable crust on a cast iron plate in my oven. It isn't the same as a real pizza oven but it works. I have a beer-based pizza dough recipe which is awesome that a firend who has an outdoor stone pizza oven shared with me. It is basic but it works. The key to a good dough is planning!

In fact I might have to get out some dough for tonight!

That is the best, if you know how to make it. I worked for a pizza shop for about 3 years, mostly making pizza. Started each afternoon by making myself a small pie. I was in heaven (although the manager sometimes thought I was pushing it...).

Proper Italian pizza only :) Any topping will do, but Capricciosa is often my choice. Not so keen on Frutti di Mare.

None of that inch thick doughy stodge for me, and certainly none with gooey stuffed crusts from the mega-chains.

That is the best, if you know how to make it. I worked for a pizza shop for about 3 years, mostly making pizza. Started each afternoon by making myself a small pie. I was in heaven (although the manager sometimes thought I was pushing it...).

That explains a lot! lol

The best pizzas were always made with one day old dough.

That, sir, is the trick to a tasty crust. Yeast is a pretty amazing organism. Give it some time to eat and burp and that is where the flavor is!

It must Digiorno... Seriously, I live in Alabama, we have the usual Pizza-The-Huts and Donkey Nose pizza eateries, but nothing to fancy like everyone else mentions... So I have Digiorno's Supreme Oven Rise once every two weeks.

...the burgers at Louie's Lunch :

Louie's is across the street and I find them "whelming. Not under or over, merely whelming. They are OK and unique, just nothing special. If I want a hamburger, I like Ted's - The steamed Chesseburger is as good as it gets.

Tell me more about Turks. I have tried Doogies though we are still waiting for Grote & Weigel to ramp back up on their hot dog production.

Louie's is across the street and I find them "whelming. Not under or over, merely whelming. They are OK and unique, just nothing special. If I want a hamburger, I like Ted's - The steamed Chesseburger is as good as it gets.

Tell me more about Turks. I have tried Doogies though we are still waiting for Grote & Weigel to ramp back up on their hot dog production.

This Doogie's? They're out of 2-footers?!! :surprised:

19797.jpg

Tell me more about Turks.

Turk's is one of the remainders from the old Savin Rock Amusement Park days. Jimmie's, Phyllis's and Turk's were little walk up stands pre- and post-WWII. At the end of the 60s when the Park was all but gone, these all built sit-down restaurants with a healthy take-out business, too. It's mostly fried seafood, burgers and hot dogs. The natural casing dogs are Hummel Bros. from New Haven (whenever we have a family reunion elsewhere in the country, I have to try and bring Hummel Bros. dogs for one of the meals) and the spices they use taste great (to me, at least). The seafood is all fresh and the clams come with their bellies. The fries are hand cut, thick and done perfectly.

That's all for now; I'm getting hungry.

That's all for now; I'm getting hungry.
I couldnt hold out any longer.
Had Village Pizza tonight. (local place)
Did a half and half.
The wife had her half with Pepperoni(YUK) and I had my half with Onions,Black Olives and Green Peppers. Burp

We have this place called House Of Pizza. My daughter didn't like it because it wasn't a Pizza Hut pan pizza. Go figure. I went there today after a long hiatus and rediscovered the place. They have 1 crust, pan style but not over doughed. It was pretty darn good. They even had anchovies! YAY! Got what I call a better than average pizza fix today. Can't say this thread didn't influence me none. Made me jones for a pizza.

I'm with Stan.
[video=youtube_share;mldDHI9l1v8]https://youtu.be/mldDHI9l1v8[/video]

You guys are making me hungry. Problem is that I often eat pizza more than once a day. And I'm not eating the good stuff either, I'm talking about cheap frozen pizzas that I heat up in the oven (or often I just nuke 'em) coupled with the nasty cafeteria pizza here at college . . .

I kinda like the little 99 cent Totino's pizzas for lunch... if you throw on a little pre-cooked sausage, or pepperoni, or some cooked crumbled hamburger meat, and an extra handful or two of shredded mozzarella, they're REALLY good... Doesn't take but 15 minutes in the oven to do as well. DEFINITELY resist the urge to cook ANYTHING involving dough in the microwave... nuking is only for reheating stuff, DEFINITELY no good to cook in there...

For chain pizza, I like Papa Johns, mostly because of the thin crust and their little tubs of garlic sauce... the buttery, salty, garlicky stuff... I can eat that all day (and regret it the next day unfortunately!) I LOVE that stuff! I actually prefer Pizza Hut's pizza over PJ, but PH doesn't have garlic sauce...

The only pizza I DON'T like is when it's stacked up 2 inches deep... or DROWNED in tomato sauce! I want only enough tomato sauce on the thing to give it some color... if the thing is dripping tomato sauce, I KNOW it's gonna be a NASTY no good pizza... YECCCH!!!

I prefer thin crust most of the time, and CRUNCHY... nothing's worse than a soggy or mushy crust... Don't care for the doughey ones either... not a big fan of thick crusts...
Later! OL JR :)

I am a pizza snob. I will eat frozen pizza, but rarely enjoy it. That is the problem here. It is all frozen pizza. Even the Pizza Hut on post makes frozen pizza.

I have lost over 12 lbs in Kuwait and it has been easy. The food sucks and the pizza is worse. It is easy to loose weight when the the food nauseates you.

I am a pizza snob. I will eat frozen pizza, but rarely enjoy it. That is the problem here. It is all frozen pizza. Even the Pizza Hut on post makes frozen pizza.

It DOES make a difference. When I worked in a pizza place/restaurant/bar in college all of our dough was fresh. The wonderful ladies on first shift made the dough every day and prepped most of the food we sold at night. I have rarely have pizza half as good.

My 13yr old son made his first pizza last night for supper. Not bad, with roni's and cheese. Crust was Pilsbury biscuit dough.

My 13yr old son made his first pizza last night for supper. Not bad, with roni's and cheese. Crust was Pilsbury biscuit dough.
Do you deliver?
Ya know, if ya take Pizza crust dough that comes in the tube and cut it into little squares, deep fry it in oil,it taste just like "FRIED DOUGH"
Imagine that...:lol:

My wife tried making "homemade pizza" last year and I wouldn't have hit a dog in the @$$ with it... it was TERRIBLE... crust was simply awful...

I asked her what she used... "Bisquick" she says... "NEVER do that again!" says I... BLECCH!!!! She used some cheap tomato soup or sauce from the can too... NASTY!!!

dunno about actual biscuit dough...

Back