Green Cheese

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adrian

Reaction score
... or Simulation Vs. Swing Test.

This is Green Cheese, a proposed but never built British nuclear anti-ship missile:
https://www.skomer.u-net.com/projects/greencheese.htm

The appearance is not all that inspiring, but with that name it had to be done. The problem is obvious - the fins are very low span. With a model based on BT-60 tubing and a hollow hemispherical nose working out at 10.75" long, VCP and Rocksim with its various calculation methods put the CP somewhere between 4 and 5" from the tip of the nose.

Building the model during International Rocket Week in Scotland, I stuffed what clay (actually Play-Doh) I had into the nose, and the CG ended up right in the middle of the various CP estimates. Nevertheless I put a C6-5 in the back and swing-tested the model, which "flew" perfectly. And it's never going to get a C6-5 in actual flight - C6-3 tops.

The next thing to try was a real launch. I marked the flight card "Rocksim says it's unstable, swing test OK, now we find out which is right". Not surprisingly it was announced as a heads up flight. In fact it was a straight up flight, albeit on a B6-2 for this test.

The lighter motor didn't move the CG much. Besides, now I'm back home from IRW I can put a bit more nose weight in to account for the difference between a B6-2 and C6-3 before the model goes up on full power...

1749greencheese.jpg 1751greencheese_launch.jpg

That's what I was going to say! Looked like a good flight:cheers:

Now with paint. White, not green - despite the appearance, this was supposed to be a missile, not a bomb. The black line marks the approximate CP, the average of the estimates from Rocksim (using Barrowman), Rocksim (using Rocksim) and VCP. The red line doesn't mark anything, it's just decoration. :D

05greencheese_small.jpg

06greencheese_launch_small.jpg

07greencheese_sky1_small.jpg

Back