Suggestions on making a decorative "aircraft canopy?"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocketbuilder

Reaction score
I'm working on a build right now that needs a decorative aircraft canopy to complete the look-- you know, a cockpit bubble, windscreen, whatever they're technically called. I tried making one out of curved plastic and epoxy putty, but it didn't turn out very good. So, any suggestions? I'm sort of aiming for one the shape of that of an F-15E.
Thanks in advance. :)

No pics, (not yet, anyways; I may try to do a build thread) but the rocket is based on a BT-55 tube (1.33" dia.), and the canopy will be mounted on a standard Estes ogive BT-55 cone (5.5" long).

try paper/cardstock - the window portions you can color blue or black

OK- I got the scale. You actually have a ton of options. clay is a good one--get it to the shape you want--bake it and glue it on--a little filler and paint and your done---balsa is an option as is card stock but getting a compound curve can be a bit troublesome----If your set on clear--cutting one out of the upper curved part of a 2 ltr bottle will work--2 more options--both require a- male-clay mold- get some clear rc canopy plastic, heat it and stretch it over your mold--doable but takes practice--a hot lamp approach works here too!!---best bet--take the mold and go to hobbytown if one is near you--it's a good bet they know someone who can vacuform it! For that matter maybe someone here can . check out the plastic model forums too---ipms and such

Here's a little trick I read about a while back... Go to your favorite light bulb store and look at packages of nightlight bulbs, "candlestick" bulbs, etc... look at the molded plastic holding the bulb to the card. When you find one with the shape and size you want, buy the bulb... when you get home, cut the plastic bulb protector off the hang card, very carefully, then fit to the rocket very carefully, trimming it to fit. Glue it in place.

Later! OL JR :)

+ 1 on both those ideas--I horde them both just in case!

Ah! a kindred spirit! I have a box chockablock full of miscellaneous plastic items from commercial containers. I have no actual plans yet for how they will be used, but when I do need a decorative nozzle or a canopy, I have a wide variety of options.

Radio control guys have all sorts of vac-u-formed clear canopies-try your LHS or the planes section on E-bay. Depends on how big your model is. Check that- I just reread your dims. Look for the smaller 'park zone" types, either ducted fan or WWII birds should work.

OK- I got the scale. You actually have a ton of options. clay is a good one--get it to the shape you want--bake it and glue it on--a little filler and paint and your done---balsa is an option as is card stock but getting a compound curve can be a bit troublesome----If your set on clear--cutting one out of the upper curved part of a 2 ltr bottle will work--2 more options--both require a- male-clay mold- get some clear rc canopy plastic, heat it and stretch it over your mold--doable but takes practice--a hot lamp approach works here too!!---best bet--take the mold and go to hobbytown if one is near you--it's a good bet they know someone who can vacuform it! For that matter maybe someone here can . check out the plastic model forums too---ipms and such
No, it doesn't have to be clear. I'm not detailing the cockpit, so the canopy will be painted.

What about taking a smaller nc and "slice " off a section in the middle
I've thought about doing this with my two remaining BT-20 nose cones; half of one for the front and half of the other for the back. (They're different shapes.)

Well as it happens, Estes has a nosecone that is your size and has a canopy on it already: https://www.estesrockets.com/rockets/by-engine/standard/001462-shuttle-xpresstm-launch-set

I used one on an R/C glider.
If it was just the canopy, that would be perfect, but I don't like the molded intakes on the side-- they don't fit with the theme of the Orion IV Spaceplane. (Yup, the successor to the iconic Orion III Spaceplane from 2001. More details on this later in the build/built thread. If anyone has a problem with this, it's Hornet Driver's fault! :tongue:)

Here's a little trick I read about a while back... Go to your favorite light bulb store and look at packages of nightlight bulbs, "candlestick" bulbs, etc... look at the molded plastic holding the bulb to the card. When you find one with the shape and size you want, buy the bulb... when you get home, cut the plastic bulb protector off the hang card, very carefully, then fit to the rocket very carefully, trimming it to fit. Glue it in place.

Later! OL JR :)
I like this idea- I may have to try it. In fact, I will, when I go to Home Depot/Lowe's to get a 3/16" rod. I don't know what I'll do with the lightbulb, though. :confused: Anyone want a light bulb? :p
No need to go to the store (except for the 3/16" rod, of course) as I found a partially empty lightbulb package in the utility closet that was perfect. I guess it could have been a little smaller, but the shape is ideal, so I'll go ahead and use it.
Thanks for the suggestion! :)

Last edited:
I like this idea- I may have to try it. In fact, I will, when I go to Home Depot/Lowe's to get a 3/16" rod. I don't know what I'll do with the lightbulb, though. :confused: Anyone want a light bulb? :p
No need to go to the store (except for the 3/16" rod, of course) as I found a partially empty lightbulb package in the utility closet that was perfect. I guess it could have been a little smaller, but the shape is ideal, so I'll go ahead and use it.
Thanks for the suggestion! :)

You're welcome! Glad to help! OL JR :)

I so totally dig the acquisition of light bulbs to cannibalize the package it came in. This makes me smile like you've no idea...

Later!

--Coop

I so totally dig the acquisition of light bulbs to cannibalize the package it came in. This makes me smile like you've no idea...

Later!

--Coop

Too bad they don't make light bulbs out of plastic. They would make such great nose cones! :roll:

Back