1/8in rod in estes e launcher?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daniellechef

Reaction score
I bought the wrong launch pad for my son, but his grandpa put it all together, and now I cannot return it. I purchased the e launcher and he needs the porta pad II. The package on his rocket just said he needed a launch pad. It didn't specify which one. Can I put an 1/8 inch rod in the e launcher, or is there and attachment I can buy to make his Cosmic Cobra work with the e launcher? Sorry for being so ignorant about all this. Thanks for your help!

You simply need to make the bottom of the launch rod 3/16" dimaeter to fit into the 3/16" hole in the Estes E launch pad (it has holes for 3/16" and 1/4" launch rods).

You can do this by wrapping masking tape around the bottom of the rod (not the most secure method as it can get gooey and loose over time), or you can put a sleeve over the bottom of the rod.

Best bet: By a 4 foot long steel 1/8" diameter rod from the Home Depot and also get a metal sleeve that will slip over it to make it either 3/16" or 1/4" diameter on the end. This can be a "tension pin" aka "roll pin" aka "split pin".

https://www.homedepot.com/buy/build...-in-x-1-in-tension-pin-zinc-plated-84423.html

https://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202209721/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053

The 1/4 inch diamter one might be better as the 1/8" rod will probably fit inside better. If the rod is not tight, simply epoxy the pin onto the end of the rod (or hammer the pin closed a bit to make it tight).

I bought the wrong launch pad for my son, but his grandpa put it all together, and now I cannot return it. I purchased the e launcher and he needs the porta pad II. The package on his rocket just said he needed a launch pad. It didn't specify which one. Can I put an 1/8 inch rod in the e launcher, or is there and attachment I can buy to make his Cosmic Cobra work with the e launcher? Sorry for being so ignorant about all this. Thanks for your help!

you can also get 3/16" launch lugs & 3 or 4 ft 3/16" rod at hardware store - steel rod should only be a dollar or 2 & launch all using the 3/16" rod - slightly more drag but doesn't really matter if you & kid aren't competing for awards

The hobby shop will have some brass tubing that is just the right dimension to make a 3/16" sleeve for a 1/8" rod.

Another way is to get a piece of 3/16" od styrene tube from Evergreen or Plastistruct at the hobby shop. cut off a 1-1/2" piece and split it lengthwise. Install your 1/8" rod and presto you have an instant compression clamp launch rod holder.

I just bought a 1/8" and 3/8" rod today from Home Depot for my rockets. I don't know if Home Depot has them but you can buy a sleeve that will fit on the end of a 1/8" rod. I have seen em at the local hardwear store.

Back