28th October 2012, 09:58 PM
Saturday, I took my Rocket Racer to the MMMSC(Maine Missile Moose and Squirrel Club) launch. An almost perfect day for launching. I tried it on an A8-3, it got stuck on the launch rod TWICE! I replaced the launch lug with a 3/16" lug. Success! It went straight up and then straight back down, no glide like I was hoping, minor damage in pic #4.
I think it needs an airfoil too.
28th October 2012, 11:11 PM
Did you replicate the recovery system I used? In this post I showed how it's done in my variant.
You've mentioned A8-3. Where does ejection discharge in your variant?
I've never said it's a glider. It is not. CG is to far forward to allow proper gliding. I suppose it may glide if balanced accordingly, but I didn't not want it.
29th October 2012, 04:29 AM
I'm coming into this thread a bit late JNUK. I'm going to find the files and such, I'd like to build a copy of this myself. It looks like a really fun model, and quit a unique and ingenious method of designing! Thanks for posting links to the files!
29th October 2012, 07:51 AM
Originally Posted by SpaceAXEplorer
There are two models on my web site - model B and model C. I suggest model C. It is a bit wider. This will make packing the recovery streamer easier. I have checked the page again and realised it needs updating. I have to add dimensions of the recovery system frame and recommended streamer dimensions. I also changed the way the recovery frame attached to the model to prevent ejection charger from burning through the kevral string.
Give me a day or two and I will make of necessaries updates.
Aside. I bit of retro fun - LINK. The design principles described in the article are quite similar to approach I used designing the RocketRacer and my next model. The main difference is adding proper rocket type recovery.
29th October 2012, 07:07 PM
I know it's not a glider, but I wanted to try anyway. I had the motor eject for lightness(?) I plugged the motor tube. I will modify it to have a parachute.
Originally Posted by JNUK
29th October 2012, 09:18 PM
Yeah, it's nose heavy for boost stability, if you eject the motor, it just makes it more nose heavy...you could eject some nose weight along with the motor if you wanted to try to get it to glide.....
30th October 2012, 12:57 AM
If you do want to get it gliding properly, I suggest getting CG in a correct location first. This link may help to find it. My knowledge of aerodynamics is quite basic, but as far as I understand a lifting canard design requires larger canard wing for stability. I mean larger than the RocketRacer has. I do not remember exact proportion between wing areas though.
Originally Posted by dlazarus6660
After getting CG right for gliding add an additional weight to move it forward for stability during the boost phase. The weight (could be some talcum powder) can be ejected through an opening otherwise covered by a piece of masking type.
21st February 2013, 04:14 AM
This is a really cool design. I've snagged copies of the plans and added the Rocket Racer to my ever-growing list of things I want to build.