Jaw stand! New Launch PAD!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thobin

Reaction score
OK! Can barley contain my excitement! :w: But first the story. OK Im out in my shop cutting out rocket parts on my bandsaw, and the blade breaks and WACKS me on the thumb, OUCH! Bruised but otherwise intact, I'v had worse. Anyway I go inside to the wife and proclaim. "That I'll be totally useless, and will never be able to cut out another thing again... Unless I go get new bandsaw blade." She gives me the usual "Drama Queen!" look and asks where can you get one? "Lowes." I say! So we go, she wants to go, so I think hey I get a new blade out of it, what the heck.

K i'm not in the store for more than five minuets, and I pass by a display of a new Rockwell saw horse type stand looking thingies. Now remember I have rockets on my brain at this point, so naturally every thing I see is scrutinized by its usefulness to rockets. And it hit me like freight train LAUNCH PAD! :headbang: I have recently purchased a 1010 rail from Amazon and have no pad heavy enough to hold it , I was contemplating building one. I even bought a floor stand light to use the stand for a pad, but it was too wimpy. So right there in the store I tear the box open and set it up, OOOHHH YA this is it! This will work ! I wont go into the details of the pleading and lies I had to spin "I will never ask for another thing again." :rolleyes: Anyway after much sobbing and tears I put it in the cart, and It now resides next to my rockets.:grin:

And with out any hesitation this it the best Launch Pad find EVER! A few mods to my rail and it will lock into place and will sit forward of the clamp I wont have to modify the Jaw Stand at all. I will use the same kind of setup for my launch rods too. I will have to come up with new blast deflector but the stand will be compleatly unmodified and can be used for it's original intent... "sigh" work.

Here are some action shots :)

TA

pad1.jpg

pad2.jpg

pad3.jpg

pad4.jpg

Last edited:
It will work for mid and low high power. The leg width is too narrow to go large.

Seems like it might have a smallish footprint, how long are the legs? Mind I ask how much it was? Does look nice.

for larger rockets, just throw 3 equal sections of iron pipe on the legs. Doesn't even have to fit well, they just have to be the same length.

Looks awesome! It's so professional!

Here are some more shots. You will see the new Estes Pro Nike Smoke wearing a nice olive drab ensemble sporting original Stickershock decals. Sure to dazzle at any rocket event!

This Pad is built like a tank and folds neatly in to a small package, which can be stored neatly under your bed. All this for just $69.95! (rocket not included)

TA

pad5.jpg

pad6.jpg

pad7.jpg

pad8.jpg

Last edited:
Seems like it might have a smallish footprint, how long are the legs? Mind I ask how much it was? Does look nice.

Nae nae I say, the legs are 34" apart and the you could pin the legs down if needed through the holes provided. I bet this could support a 20 pound rocket, a 1515 rail and all. But is best suited for Mid power to Low HPR I will test it further, I did dropped the rail all the way to the lower position with a "THUD!" and it didn't even budge. Its got some weight to it.

TA

Nae nae I say, the legs are 34" apart and the you could pin the legs down if needed through the holes provided. I bet this could support a 20 pound rocket, a 1515 rail and all. But is best suited for Mid power to Low HPR I will test it further, I did dropped the rail all the way to the lower position with a "THUD!" and it didn't even budge. Its got some weight to it.

TA
Thanks for the heads-up on this unit, I've been mulling over just what to do for a replacement pad of this capacity. This decides it.

Your new Nike looks awesome on it, by the way. Poised and ready...

That looks pretty sharp ,good find and a great use for that stand.Like you say ,it can always be pinned to the ground if needed fpr heavier rockets.

I like it ,and looks better with the Nike on it !!!!!

Paul T

Thanks

When I get the connecting parts finished I will post them too.

TA

Thanks

When I get the connecting parts finished I will post them too.

TA
I look forward to see what you come up with - I just ordered one. They're available on amazon.com for $59.98 with free shipping for "prime" members (me).

It will work for mid and low high power. The leg width is too narrow to go large.

Actually...Our club just got a bunch of these "pads." If you bolt some 2x4's to the legs thus increasing the footprint and weigh the 2x4's down with about 50 lbs of dirt you can launch an Intimidator 5 on a KBA M1450 off of it with no problems. I don't remember what Larry did to attach the 1515 rail though...

These make for excellent pads by the way. If you wait around long enough they go on sale at Home Depot (I think) every once in a while for around $30 each. The "pads" already have holes in the feet so making the footprint larger simple. Another option to increase stability for larger projects is to hammer in some rebar or some other kind of spike through the holes. We've found that any project over 5 pounds ought to have something extra for the feet. That generally means most I-motor and smaller rockets are just fine on these pads as is.

What I really like is the combination of strength, light weight and ease of set up in this style of pad even dealing with the smallish footprint. I think our club bought 6 or so this past March.

Background2.JPG

Last edited:
Actually...Our club just got a bunch of these "pads." If you bolt some 2x4's to the legs thus increasing the footprint and weigh the 2x4's down with about 50 lbs of dirt you can launch an Intimidator 5 on a KBA M1450 off of it with no problems. I don't remember what Larry did to attach the 1515 rail though...

These make for excellent pads by the way. If you wait around long enough they go on sale at Home Depot (I think) every once in a while for around $30 each. The "pads" already have holes in the feet so making the footprint larger simple. Another option to increase stability for larger projects is to hammer in some rebar or some other kind of spike through the holes. We've found that any project over 5 pounds ought to have something extra for the feet. That generally means most I-motor and smaller rockets are just fine on these pads as is.

What I really like is the combination of strength, light weight and ease of set up in this style of pad even dealing with the smallish footprint. I think our club bought 6 or so this past March.

I am interested to see what you come up with. We have plenty of pads, but many of them are getting a little long in the tooth. They are rebuilding the away cell pads - they rusted away.

I could see a benefit to raising and lowering the rail. My aching back would bu one.

I could see a benefit to raising and lowering the rail. My aching back would bu one.

You can still raise and lower with the 9033. The 9034 just has a crank which they bill as micro adjustable.... that's about the only difference I can see.

kj

You can still raise and lower with the 9033. The 9034 just has a crank which they bill as micro adjustable.... that's about the only difference I can see.

kj

20$ is not worth the crank and that may bind after a few sugar motor launches.

I picked up one today at Lowe's for $59 and since it was tax free weekend I didn't have to pay any sales tax.

I'm going to get 2 t-nuts and long screws and mount a 2x4 in the middle of a 6' rail to center the rail to keep it above the plastic jaws. If you crank up the height a bit, it's easy to put the rocket on the rail horizontally and then tilt it vertical and the rocket will be nearly at ground level.

I'm sure by spiking it to the ground, it's stable enough for 50 pound rockets.

Bob

That's what i'v done I'll post some pics when I get home.

TA

As far as a launch pad is concerned, you have a Rolls Royce. That stand screams awesomeness!

As other have said, if the weight of the rocket is a concern, pin the feet down with some spikes.

I'm going to see if there is something like this up here.

As far as a launch pad is concerned, you have a Rolls Royce. That stand screams awesomeness!

As other have said, if the weight of the rocket is a concern, pin the feet down with some spikes.

I'm going to see if there is something like this up here.

Same here ,our club could use a more portable pad for our LP & MP launches ,our club`s and my two HP launch pads are pretty heavy and large ,this would be nice.

Do you have a Lowes in Edmonton yet? Nothing here in Winnipeg ,but there is talk.

The kicker is ,I was just in the USA doing some shopping and there was a Lowes right across from Menards.......darn it !!!!!

There`s an online place in Canada that has them ,but then the shipping can cost a few bucks

Paul T

Same here ,our club could use a more portable pad for our LP & MP launches ,our club`s and my two HP launch pads are pretty heavy and large ,this would be nice.

Do you have a Lowes in Edmonton yet? Nothing here in Winnipeg ,but there is talk.

The kicker is ,I was just in the USA doing some shopping and there was a Lowes right across from Menards.......darn it !!!!!

There`s an online place in Canada that has them ,but then the shipping can cost a few bucks

Paul T

We have a Lowes here in South Common in Edmonton. No Jawstands. :(

Sears.ca can get them in (imported) right to your door. Extra charges still apply.

Looks like Thobin has a Bugatti Veyron of launch pads at the moment........

We have a Lowes here in South Common in Edmonton. No Jawstands. :(

Sears.ca can get them in (imported) right to your door. Extra charges still apply.

Looks like Thobin has a Bugatti Veyron of launch pads at the moment........

Yah ,see what he started !

I saw the Sears website and another place through EBay ,free shipping on orders over 100 $ but i think it was a canadian tool joint.

Paul T

Here is my setup so far; its just piece of wood I had laying around my shop, that I put a few dado's in it so it will key into the clamp pads of the jaw horse. That should give it some extra holding power. Then I just picked up a piece of stainless to cover the plastic rails, I plan on using this for work too and I don't want to take the plastic rails off so I thought I would give them some extra protection. You could skip this step or remove them all together. I just drilled some holes in the board and ran some 1/4 inch carriage bolts through and tightened them up with a wing nut on the back.

There are three struts in the back of the jaw horse that you will need to avoid with the carriage bolts and wing nuts. The bolts need a small amount of grinding on the head so the will fit in the 1010 rail, other than that its cake. You can also see my stand off, it will be what holds on my blast deflector when I get it made. I probably will paint the wood to add to the cool factor and keep from weathering to fast. I'm working on the launch rod section to I have the parts i just don't have it done yet.

TA

2012-08-12 10.16.30.jpg

2012-08-12 10.17.14.jpg

2012-08-12 10.17.24.jpg

2012-08-12 10.17.47.jpg

Back