Jaw stand! New Launch PAD!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My son bought me one of these for my birthday and it is fabulous. Most of my rockets are F-Hs and a few I-Js. This is so quick and easy. Recently, I launched my Warloc with a J-350 and it worked flawlessly. For added stability, I tied three 20 pound barbell weights directly under the center post with strong rope. It made the stand incredibly stable. I have an 8' X 1" rail clamped as the author did. This is such a great stand and invaluable in the shop for other things related to rockets and chores. One thing that is fabulous abu this stand is that you can clamp a 3/4" wood dowel in it, then slide your rocket on the dowel for all types of work, especially painting. You can angle the vice about 45 degrees and paint with one hand while rotating the rocket around the dowel with the other. For adding decals trim whatever, the stand was invaluable. I don't have great pic of it, but check out my 4" patriot just as it is typically mounted on the dowel.

IMG_0392.JPG

Last edited:
I use it quite a lot for just holding rockets while I work on them, the best part is I can extend the head all the way up and I can work on stuff with out having to bend over, it is all around an awesome rocket tool.

TA

So true, TA. It is invaluable for painting, sanding, fin gluing etc. The other night, I had to work on my lawn tractor and I clamped a big flood light in it. It was perfect and stayed well clear of the work area. But for launching it can't be beat. It is so quick and sturdy, a joy to use.

I built a PVC pad about 3.5' tall and I wish I saw this first !!!
My pad is adjustable but only poorly and it will fall apart after a while I'm sure.
I used 2 PVC Wyes mounted single pipe up (Results in 4 legs), topped by short tubes with 90° bends on top, those hold the horizontal tube (3' long)
Drilled a 1/4" hole thru and insert rod with Clamp on top of pipe.
Heat Shield is an old Massive Heat Sink plate 6" by 12" with 1" fins on bottom side.
To load Rocket, lift rod from pipe. Pass thru guides, put rod back in pad.
If concerned about hanging on rod, add a second clamp on bottom.

Why will it wear out? All the pipes are slip fit together, they will wear from repeated assembly.
Eventually I will add small bolts thru joints to secure parts.
I'm contemplating a few extra holes for angling the rod.

For low power a pair of small rods could be put at the ends of the horizontal pipe, the length is sufficient for 2 low power pads.
One good thing about this pad, it is a lot lower cost than the Jawpad. Every piece came from Home Depot.
Note: they don't have 6' Stainless 1/4" Rod, I have to keep mine dry. And I cleaned it once already.
Now, Back to the Jawpad:

Reviving this thread to see how over time things have gone...

How have people found the Jaw Stand working as a pad?
Has it worked as well as you had hoped?
What's the largest rocket / highest impulse you have seen them used with?
Are you using anything further to stablize the legs? Stakes? 2x4s. Iron Pipe? Etc.

Thanks for the 411

I took one look at the stand in the photo, and had images of some cop thinking you're setting up a Browning 50 Cal. machine gun.

Neat alternative to an already useful tool.

I've used mine on some 38mm loads but not yet on bigger birds because the Club had rails for us to use. I got some long lag screws that I use an impact drive to secure it to the ground just for good measure. I'll let you all know how it works in a few months on my frenzy xl.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Nothing really big so far, nothing over a few pounds as that's all I can do with out a waver. So far it has been rock solid, it could easily take my Mini Magg.

TA

Here is mine I posted about some time ago:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?48807-Rockwell-Jaw-Stand-build&p=486432#post486432

I have used it many times to launch RC Rocket Gliders. All low power stuff, A-C. With gliders on it there is a bit of windage and I have never had an issue with stability. It is a bit clunky to pack and carry. I like it a lot, very easy to adjust. I have needed no additional steps to keep it stable. My launch gear removes in seconds (in fact I remove it to pack it in the car), so it is also available as useful tool in the shop.

BTW, I have also built a design by George Gassaway for a lighter launcher base that packs much smaller. it is nice as well (and cheaper) but it is geared more for RC gliders, which tend to launch off of vertical.

I am very happy with the jaw stand.

Don

If not a club launch, I use my jaw stand and could not be happier. Love that thing. Ease of swapping from rod to rail in seconds makes it so worth it.

Last edited:
I'm very happy with mine: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?59931-Jaw-stand-on-sale&p=621108#post621108

The biggest motor I have flown off it is I, but this is in the big glider. Like Don says, it's the wind drag that gets you with these. My Vulcan glider weighs 5 odd pounds and has a 43" wingspan. Wind really tries to push it (and the pad) over. I've had zero problems with this pad. I sometimes use stakes in higher winds. When I fly bigger "straight" rockets under a waiver with a club, I usually just use club equipment, but I'd be very comfortable launching my 3" PVC pube fin on a K from this pad.

Ari.

Sorry to dig an old topic up

I found this in the UK

https://www.tritontools.com/en-GB/Model/MSA200

https://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7153462.htm#pdpFullProductInformation

£32.99 is $54. I have ordered it too look and see. Will be here saturday, if no good can always take it back. Specs look amazing!!!

I recently took delivery of my rail. Went all out here, HD, 2000 mm, cost me £43 - $72 but wort it https://www.metallin.co.uk/shop/series-6/profile-6/aluminium-profile-6-30x30.html

Interesting how everyone has mounted their rail. That's the most important part for me. I've a perfect idea for rods using part of my old pad that broke just :(

Staked down with 8 inch composite spikes. VERY stable. I would have no qualms launching an I maybe a J.

H motor

Last edited:
True, but I intend to put a shield on it anyway. I just have not figured out what or how. I am not a metal worker.

I was thinking maybe somehow I could adapt something like this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BOELLI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
415w3EwEZ2L.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Got mine today, I happened to pass a shop that stocked them so grabbed one. Saves waiting till the weekend!!

It's slightly different but not that much. I will get some photos asap. Main thing is how to mount this rail. Thinking maybe bolting it on. Not sure how.

Piece of 2x4 clamped vertically in the jaw. In the wood mount a couple of 'hanger bolts'. Drill the holes in the rail, mount the rail through the hanger bolts. Use wing nuts to hold on.

That said I used two hose clamps clamped REALLY tight. Worked for an H!

Piece of 2x4 clamped vertically in the jaw. In the wood mount a couple of 'hanger bolts'. Drill the holes in the rail, mount the rail through the hanger bolts. Use wing nuts to hold on.

That said I used two hose clamps clamped REALLY tight. Worked for an H!

I've just put the rail in using the built in clamp with some card not mark the rail.

Thinking drill 3 holes evenly spaced through the rail and the side of the stand. Make some spacers to go ether side so it sit central in the stand. 3 bolts, 6 washers, 3 wing nuts.

M6 thread will be the bolt size.

How much of the rail do you think needs to be held to be safe?

CaveDuck and I both have this ...but mounted the rail differently.

Dave when he bought the rails (thanks Dave!) bought some extra 1x3 1010 and hw - he clamps the 1x3 into the jawstand, and the rail is bolted on to the 1x3 . Very Professional looking!

On mine I took off the little jaw bumpers and used its mounting screws and holes to secure a 1/8th aluminum plate across the the jaw opening. After drilling two holes aligned vertically..have some shaved carriage bolts and washers holding the rail to the plate with wing nuts. The washers are to push the rail out a smidge - the square portion of the head kept the bolt from fulling seating against the rail when tightened..two washers were enough.

Will try to snap a picture when I get home .. it does look tough. Also very quick to break down for transport and no 'pieces' to keep track of .

Kenny

Jim, I can bring mine to SR on Saturday if you want to take a look at my setup.

Ari.

Jim, I can bring mine to SR on Saturday if you want to take a look at my setup.

Ari.

I wouldn't mind seeing it, but don't bring it on just my account. I'm not looking to build my own launch pad, I was just curious about how one would attach a shield or deflector to the rail.

I have pictures of mine in one of these threads. It's basically two U-bolts holding a 3/8" ID tube to the sheet metal, and a set screw in the tube that holds a 3/8" shank that screws into a rail, or alternatively any size rod up to 3/8" (Vulcan uses 3/8 rod)

Ari.

The Rail manufacturer has a zillion pieces and parts. They call it an Industrial Erector Set. I have 25 screws and threaded plates. The plates slide into the rail. Its just a matter of buying and drilling something.

Apologise all, this has been on the back burner due to work, DIY, the g/f and some rocket building!!!

Need to look at it and get the rail mounted and blast plate.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

OK here's my setup which was flight tested several times last Saturday. I mounted the rail to a 2X4 using 1/4", 3.5" carriage bolts with wing nuts. I also placed a small 1/4" thick piece of wood on the bottom of the jaws to rest the 2X4 on when clamping in place. The blast shield (from another pad) is held in place with a 1/4" screw and a large washer. The hole through the center of the rail is just right for a 1/4-20 tap. Thanks everyone for your ideas and inspiration.

Steve G

IMG_3201.jpg

IMG_3193.jpg

IMG_3191.jpg

IMG_3194.jpg

IMG_3198.jpg

IMG_3202 - Copy.jpg

IMG_3192.jpg

Great job. :clap: I am still searching for a ready made blast deflector. What rockets did you launch with? Did you stake it down at all?
Thanks for the pictures!

Thanks Jeff. I believe we had about five or six flights. Small rockets two to three feet long on F and G motors. I was only using a 4 foot rail and it was not staked down.

Steve G

Back