I hate Paint Matching

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awseiger

Reaction score
So, I went to add Dual-Deployment functionality to my EZI-65, and *tried* to get the new section of body tube to match. Of course, I tried every can of red paint I had, and this is the closest I can get:

IMG_0661.jpg

Aghhhh! Anyone have any suggestions? I'm even up for painting the top tube a complete different color. This slight color difference (And distinct difference in gloss... :bangpan: ) is going to bother me a ton.

EDIT: Would re-painting the top part satin white, then painting it the darker red, then dull-coating it work?

Last edited:
I guess I should bottom line this--Even if you use the same paint--given age and fading--then add the gloss difference--it ain't gonna happen. IF YOU HAVE THE SAME PAINT AS THE ORIGINAL---you might get away with a light sanding and then clearcoat the hole darn thing , but most likely you'll be disapointed! Short of metallics, reds and whites are by far the hardest colors to match when working from scratch or matching old paint.

I guess I should bottom line this--Even if you use the same paint--given age and fading--then add the gloss difference--it ain't gonna happen. IF YOU HAVE THE SAME PAINT AS THE ORIGINAL---you might get away with a light sanding and then clearcoat the hole darn thing , but most likely you'll be disapointed! Short of metallics, reds and whites are by far the hardest colors to match when working from scratch or matching old paint.

Sighh.... Well, I guess it's time to figure out what other color I can paint this. I'm going to give it one more shot with a satin darker red, and if that doesn't work, then it's time for some good-old flat black.

I'm assuming you do not want to sand and repaint the old section to match the new, correct?

Last edited:
Yep! I spent a good 3 hours hand-painting the name onto the rocket. If it was just vinyl lettering I'd peel it off and re-paint, but this is an exception.

I have decided to mask over the lettering VERY carefully and re-paint the entire thing. I had a little bit of post-flight paint-scuffing near the fins anyway.

I now have learned a valuable lesson: If you are planning on adding parts to your rocket, Paint your rocket a color that is easy to match...
I'm also going to start logging what I do to paint my rockets, so I know what colors to buy, what base-coats to apply, etc.

if your gonna go that route try a liquid mask on the lettering. If your really careful---it will work----H------BTW--Clear Afterwards--might work--maybe --sortta--I'd try----H

Back