Ny Dr. Zooch Saturn1/1b family

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJRick

Saturn 1b nut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I wrapped up my Zooch Saturn 1 SA-5 today and decided to post some pictures of her and the entire family of Saturns that Wes offers. Each is a fun kit and all fly great! (I haven't had a chance to fly the SA-5 yet...) Was fun to build the entire family of Saturn 1s and 1bs!!

100_2355a.jpg100_2357a.jpg100_2354a.jpg100_2359a.jpg

thought I would throw in a picture of my recently completed Semroc Mars Lander in support of tonight's REAL Mars Lander!!100_2361a.jpg

thanks Rockitdad!!....the Saturn 1b has always been my all time favorite rocket....if you weren't able to tell already...:eyeroll: that thing is one sexy rocket! I hope to fly the SA5 soon...I have to say, Dr. Zooch's Saturn 1 Block 2 is a great flyer...that thing scoots! The 1bs have all been flown and are stable as a rock in flight. I have 32 flights on one of my 1bs (not shown in this family portrait)(was my BAR rocket...and she is kinda dinged and dented up...and I learned how to sand and fill since I built her...but she still flies great!) these were a lot of fun to build!

VERY cool collection, Rick! Thanks for the photos...

Weren't those tubes fun to roll?
Great work - you have great patience to build them all!

thank you Chris!...it was your build thread on your SA5 that taught this newbie how to roll the tanks!! they are actually not that bad...heck I have had enough practice!! :rolleyes: the trick, as you pointed out is to steam them and to align them on the dowel when you start to roll them...honestly, I love the Zooch Saturn 1b....just an awesome kit. :bangbang:

I have looked at some of the pics of your Zooch 1b...you did a beautiful job....your fins are perfect on that bird.

Rick

Weren't those tubes fun to roll?
Great work - you have great patience to build them all!

thank you Afterburners! I appreciate that! I love the 1b...just think it is a cool looking beast and building these kits is a labor of love....the Dr. Zooch Saturn 1b is just an awesome kit...my fav of all time....

Beautiful collection of the Saturns ... you have some great skills to be able to do such a nice job on all of them.

thank you Afterburners! I appreciate that! I love the 1b...just think it is a cool looking beast and building these kits is a labor of love....the Dr. Zooch Saturn 1b is just an awesome kit...my fav of all time....

I want to get involved with scale building, but probably will go for the larger models. I honestly don't think I have the skills to build the smaller ones. Fat fingers and thumbs is my middle name. Maybe with the larger Saturns I might have a better chance at it? Your models are remarkable. Thanks so much for sharing...I'm speaking for all of us when I say we can all appreciate the time and effort that went into building these exceptional model rockets.:)

thank you Chris!... I love the Zooch Saturn 1b....just an awesome kit. :bangbang:
Rick

Thanks Rick, I'm glad the blog helped.
Now try that Soyuz!

With all the other positives of the Zooch kits, I like that they are a manageable size.
All my "scale" kits and a few shelf queens reside in a tall cabinet in my kitchen. That cabinet would normally be for the better dishes I guess.
But heck, I'm single. I don't have good dishes. I have some much cooler rockets, though.

For any one else who hasn't tried a Zooch kit -
The Zooch Saturn V is about the same size as the older, smaller Estes Saturn V. Better graphics and details, nozzles that stay on for flight and no huge clear fins!
The Zooch Mercury Redstone (BT-60 size) is again about the same size as the oldest Estes Redtone. Two piece fins (not six piece) and better graphics on the Mercury capsule wrap. You still have to make the tower. It wouldn't be a Redstone if you didn't make a tower.

Hi Afterburner...thank you for the kind words....I do appreciate them :cheers: there are some small details on the Zooch 1bs...the launch escape tower takes some time and patience...the real challenge on the Saturn 1b kit is rolling the first stage tanks...they are not cardboard tubes but rather sheets of card stock paper....you have to cut them, steam them, and then roll them as tightly as you can using a small dowel that is supplied with the kit. Once you get the hang of the tanks, the rest of the kit is pretty straight forward in my opinion... I would say the 1b stands about 18 inches tall when you are done with the other variants somewhat smaller. They fly like champs...stable as a rock...and they cost $25!

Dr. Zooch has just a great selection of scale rockets...also the completed rocket generally fits back in the card board box they are shipped in...for someone like me that lives in a small house, it allows you to store them in sturdy boxes that take up no room! His Saturn 5 kit is pretty neat too!

I want to get involved with scale building, but probably will go for the larger models. I honestly don't think I have the skills to build the smaller ones. Fat fingers and thumbs is my middle name. Maybe with the larger Saturns I might have a better chance at it? Your models are remarkable. Thanks so much for sharing...I'm speaking for all of us when I say we can all appreciate the time and effort that went into building these exceptional model rockets.:)

That's awesome! I might get into SEMROC Saturn 1B I have the Mars Lander...

Just haven't got the nerve to crack the box yet. I will though as soon I finish up a couple rockets I have on the work bench. Trying to be practical and not buy kits and then not have time to finish.

Hi Afterburner...thank you for the kind words....I do appreciate them :cheers: there are some small details on the Zooch 1bs...the launch escape tower takes some time and patience...the real challenge on the Saturn 1b kit is rolling the first stage tanks...they are not cardboard tubes but rather sheets of card stock paper....you have to cut them, steam them, and then roll them as tightly as you can using a small dowel that is supplied with the kit. Once you get the hang of the tanks, the rest of the kit is pretty straight forward in my opinion... I would say the 1b stands about 18 inches tall when you are done with the other variants somewhat smaller. They fly like champs...stable as a rock...and they cost $25!

Dr. Zooch has just a great selection of scale rockets...also the completed rocket generally fits back in the card board box they are shipped in...for someone like me that lives in a small house, it allows you to store them in sturdy boxes that take up no room! His Saturn 5 kit is pretty neat too!

Hi Chris!
Your blog was like discovering the Rosetta stone!! when I was younger I wanted the Estes Saturn 1b like nothing else...saw it one time and by the time I had saved up enough money to beg my mom to take me back to the store to buy it ..it was gone and never to be seen again...so 36 years later I decided to get back into rocketry and my first purchase was the Doctors Saturn 1b ASTP (I like the white tanks...)...needless to say I just couldn't roll the tanks properly no matter what I tried...they all just crinkled up until I discovered your blog....the thrill of rolling those things successfully was like being a kid again! can't thank you enough for taking the time to share your skills with guys like me...literally saved the program up here.
I built his Soyuz and logged 8 flights on her....I am actually eyeing his Vostok. I have his BT50 Mercury Redstone and his lifting body shuttle waiting their turn on the bench and I just ordered another of his 1bs...I want to try to add some additional details to it......I agree with you on the manageable size...I live in a small home so the ability to put the rocket back into its box is just a neat idea...allows me to store them where they take up no room and they wont get broken....and I love the variety of kits that he offers.
I like the kitchen cabinet you have there! who needs good dishes??

Thanks Rick, I'm glad the blog helped.
Now try that Soyuz!

With all the other positives of the Zooch kits, I like that they are a manageable size.
All my "scale" kits and a few shelf queens reside in a tall cabinet in my kitchen. That cabinet would normally be for the better dishes I guess.
But heck, I'm single. I don't have good dishes. I have some much cooler rockets, though.

For any one else who hasn't tried a Zooch kit -
The Zooch Saturn V is about the same size as the older, smaller Estes Saturn V. Better graphics and details, nozzles that stay on for flight and no huge clear fins!
The Zooch Mercury Redstone (BT-60 size) is again about the same size as the oldest Estes Redtone. Two piece fins (not six piece) and better graphics on the Mercury capsule wrap. You still have to make the tower. It wouldn't be a Redstone if you didn't make a tower.

thanks Luke!...and thanks for all of the great build threads....I have learned much from you my friend!

Hehehe... (Darth Vader voice on)...

"You have learned much, young one... you have controlled your fear... NOW, join me, and I will complete you're training... together we can end this destructive conflict, and bring order to the galaxy... we can rule the galaxy as father and son! If you only knew the POWER of the dark side...:dark:" LOL:)

(Darth Vader voice off)

hehehe... don't give me a swelled head... (Yoda voice on) "Just passing on what I have learned..." (Yoda voice off).

Seriously, nice work... one of these days I have to get around to building mine...

Later! OL JR :)

Well, here's the thing when it comes to scalers... the larger the model, the more detail it needs to "look right". The Zoochies can be rather small, but the thing is, printed details and small balsa, basswood, or toothpick/wood skewer detail parts are all that's needed in the way of "greebles" or "fiddly bits" to make them look terrific... when you start getting into larger models at larger scales, you have to put a LOT more work into detailing for them to look good... and some of those greebles get to be AWFULLY small and complex... so it's a tradeoff. Smaller is sometimes harder to do with "fat fingers" (I have ham fists myself and "twinkie fingers" and have the scars and stiffness of years of farm work causing smashed hands, so if *I* can do the small kits, pretty much anybody should be able to...) BUT the bigger kits or models require a LOT more greebles and details to really make it look good, or make it look "right". Details aren't easy either... not particularly hard, BUT time consuming and making sure they all stay put can be a challenge sometimes... Plus, smaller models, if something "goes wrong" in flight, usually survive fairly well intact, where larger models get substantial dings and such even with only "slightly" harder than normal landings...

I'd say "go for it!" Try a Zooch "ant-scale" kit and see how it goes... at worst you end up with a cool 'sport rocket' "daily flyer" type semiscaler, and you can always spend more money and time on larger scales if you want... but seriously, with a little time and effort, just about anybody can make the smaller ant-scale size rockets REALLY shine... Like I said, If *I* can do it, ANYBODY can do it!!

Just a few things to keep in mind...

Good luck with your projects! OL JR :)

Hi Afterburner...the Mars Lander is a cool kit....fun to fly but I went over to Lowes and bought a 4 foot long launch rail....that really helped me to get consistent flights with her...right on the verge with stability with that one...but it looks cool coming down....if you can build the Mars lander you will have no problem with any of the Zooch kits....I thought the paper transitions on the Mars Lander were tougher than they looked...

I agree with Luke....if you give a Zooch a try...I think you will be surprised! (and that Semroc 1b is sweet too!)
That's awesome! I might get into SEMROC Saturn 1B I have the Mars Lander...

Just haven't got the nerve to crack the box yet. I will though as soon I finish up a couple rockets I have on the work bench. Trying to be practical and not buy kits and then not have time to finish.

hey Luke,
would love to see you take a shot at one of those 1b's...get to see one done right....its my favorite kit of all time....just a fun build and a great flyer....also would love to see your BT80 Saturn 5 as well...did you ever decide what engines you would use with that? a cluster or a D? now THAT rocket will be impressive!

Hehehe... (Darth Vader voice on)...

"You have learned much, young one... you have controlled your fear... NOW, join me, and I will complete you're training... together we can end this destructive conflict, and bring order to the galaxy... we can rule the galaxy as father and son! If you only knew the POWER of the dark side...:dark:" LOL:)

(Darth Vader voice off)

hehehe... don't give me a swelled head... (Yoda voice on) "Just passing on what I have learned..." (Yoda voice off).

Seriously, nice work... one of these days I have to get around to building mine...

hey Luke,
would love to see you take a shot at one of those 1b's...get to see one done right....its my favorite kit of all time....just a fun build and a great flyer....also would love to see your BT80 Saturn 5 as well...did you ever decide what engines you would use with that? a cluster or a D? now THAT rocket will be impressive!

Another project I need to get back to. The choice of motor mounts was stymying me and I'm STILL not 100% sure of what I want to do about that. It was either HAVE to make a decision on the motor mounts or work on the towers for the capsules, so I sorta let the thing hibernate... but I DO need to get back at it...:) They're both the same scale as the ant-scale Zooch Saturn Ib's (and Zooch Soyuz is in the same "ant-scale" as well-- handy!) so I need to put one of those IB's together so they all can sit together for pictures... LOL:) I've even been toying with the idea of a NOVA-Saturn C-8 in the same ant-scale, which would have a first stage of about 3 inches in diameter and 8 F-1 engines of course... maybe even tweak a paper model of the N-1 down to the same ant-scale and do it too... Too many ideas, not enough time...

Course now I also have to do vacation pics and get them organized and I'm working on a special project with Dr. Zooch... so I probably won't be finishing the Saturn for a few weeks at least... :)

a special project with Dr. Zooch?? maybe a beta build ?? I understand that you will be shot if you disclose :kill:

Another project I need to get back to. The choice of motor mounts was stymying me and I'm STILL not 100% sure of what I want to do about that. It was either HAVE to make a decision on the motor mounts or work on the towers for the capsules, so I sorta let the thing hibernate... but I DO need to get back at it...:) They're both the same scale as the ant-scale Zooch Saturn Ib's (and Zooch Soyuz is in the same "ant-scale" as well-- handy!) so I need to put one of those IB's together so they all can sit together for pictures... LOL:) I've even been toying with the idea of a NOVA-Saturn C-8 in the same ant-scale, which would have a first stage of about 3 inches in diameter and 8 F-1 engines of course... maybe even tweak a paper model of the N-1 down to the same ant-scale and do it too... Too many ideas, not enough time...

Course now I also have to do vacation pics and get them organized and I'm working on a special project with Dr. Zooch... so I probably won't be finishing the Saturn for a few weeks at least... :)

quick question regarding the Saturn 1b fins on this kit....is there any advantage/disadvantage to building the fins out of basswood rather than balsa?

OK...I pulled my BAR rocket out to repair a fin....I built this one last year....and learned a lot in the interim here on this forum about filling etc....she is a little dinged up...but she has 33 flights on her and is still going strong! as you can see by some random pinstripe on her...she is kinda a flying test bed for some things I have tried for later builds...

100_2388a.jpg100_2390a.jpg

Last edited:
a special project with Dr. Zooch?? maybe a beta build ?? I understand that you will be shot if you disclose :kill:

Nope, not a beta... not yet anyway... dunno what Wes is up to on that score... Haven't heard of any new kits in the works. I know he has a couple projects on the back burner, but that's a ways off and neither here nor there...

I wasn't specifically prohibited from discussing it, so I guess it's okay... Wes asked me to build a couple kits for the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station museum at Cape Canaveral, Florida, which is cool, because I was JUST THERE about this time last week... went to KSC for three days interspersed with about a week at Disney, and we finished up at the Clearwater Marine Hospital at Tampa, to see Winter the Dolphin (from "A Dolphin Tale" movie), and a visit to the Air Force Munitions Museum at Eglin AFB in Fort Walton, Florida. (which was really cool-- not as cool as the VAB tour (first time tourists have been let in there in around 35 years! Or the tour of CCAFS and their rocket garden, Pad 5 and the blockhouse where Al Shepard lifted off in 1961, and Pad 34 where the Apollo 1 fire happened... Or the tour that took us inside Pad 39A... or the Saturn V building, or the rocket garden at KSC, or... I could go on and on... LOL:)) Anyway, seems they're getting ready to open their new "off base" museum (as it is now, you can ONLY access CCAFS after a security check and with a driver's license via the "Then and Now" tour via tour bus, which only gives you about 45 minutes at the CCAFS museum on base and the rocket garden.) I've read they've been planning to do an off-base museum for awhile. SO, naturally, I jumped at the chance!

Hope Wes has something really cool up his sleeve, and if and when he tells me about it and gives me the OK, yall will be the first to know... :)

that tour sounds AWESOME!! they let you inside Pad 39A? do you mean to the bunkers that were built in there? I know there are equipment rooms and stuff in there, but I don't think I have seen more than one or two pics of the interior of one of those pads.....would love to go in the VAB too....I have to get back down there!! post pictures if you can....that wold be really neat to see. Pad 5 and Pad 34....that is a great tour!!

what kits are you going to build for the Museum? I can't think of a better guy to make them! would be neat to see those too!!

Nope, not a beta... not yet anyway... dunno what Wes is up to on that score... Haven't heard of any new kits in the works. I know he has a couple projects on the back burner, but that's a ways off and neither here nor there...

I wasn't specifically prohibited from discussing it, so I guess it's okay... Wes asked me to build a couple kits for the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station museum at Cape Canaveral, Florida, which is cool, because I was JUST THERE about this time last week... went to KSC for three days interspersed with about a week at Disney, and we finished up at the Clearwater Marine Hospital at Tampa, to see Winter the Dolphin (from "A Dolphin Tale" movie), and a visit to the Air Force Munitions Museum at Eglin AFB in Fort Walton, Florida. (which was really cool-- not as cool as the VAB tour (first time tourists have been let in there in around 35 years! Or the tour of CCAFS and their rocket garden, Pad 5 and the blockhouse where Al Shepard lifted off in 1961, and Pad 34 where the Apollo 1 fire happened... Or the tour that took us inside Pad 39A... or the Saturn V building, or the rocket garden at KSC, or... I could go on and on... LOL:)) Anyway, seems they're getting ready to open their new "off base" museum (as it is now, you can ONLY access CCAFS after a security check and with a driver's license via the "Then and Now" tour via tour bus, which only gives you about 45 minutes at the CCAFS museum on base and the rocket garden.) I've read they've been planning to do an off-base museum for awhile. SO, naturally, I jumped at the chance!

Hope Wes has something really cool up his sleeve, and if and when he tells me about it and gives me the OK, yall will be the first to know... :)

that tour sounds AWESOME!! they let you inside Pad 39A? do you mean to the bunkers that were built in there? I know there are equipment rooms and stuff in there, but I don't think I have seen more than one or two pics of the interior of one of those pads.....would love to go in the VAB too....I have to get back down there!! post pictures if you can....that wold be really neat to see. Pad 5 and Pad 34....that is a great tour!!

what kits are you going to build for the Museum? I can't think of a better guy to make them! would be neat to see those too!!

I'll see what I can do on the pics thing... I took about a bazillion of them... and mildly annoyed the tour guide while we were at CCAFS... I went out to the rocket garden and I remembered that I wanted to measure the interstage length on the Titan I they have out there, but didn't have a measuring tape with me, so I grabbed a sheet of spiral notebook paper and folded it neatly and put it in my pocket as a measuring tool... so I can report that the interstage length is EXACTLY 9.5 lengths of what should be a standard8.5 x 11 spiral notebook page... (yeah, now I gotta find Keira's notebook and meaure the pages to make sure!) Of course I also took about a bazillion pics of the rockets in the rocket garden, and the blockhouse, and the pads, and Keira pushing the button in her Dr. Zooch Rockets "Launch Personnel" T-Shirt to launch Al Shepard's Mercury Redstone, and the Redstone itself, and... and... (you get the idea). NASA TV was in there filming the tour going through the VAB while we were in there, so maybe we'll end up on NASA TV... look for a big chubby guy in a red shirt with a camera around his neck snapping pics of everything while listening to the tour guides and presenter... Atlantis was sitting about 30 feet from the barricades in front of us in the VAB HB2 (IIRC) and I got some great shots of her sitting there... VERY cool.... along with the boilerplates of the Orion capsule and SM, and BPC and LES sitting on a semitrailer in the transfer aisle... don't know if it's flight hardware for the EFT-1 flight or not, but at any rate, it was SO COOL!!!!

The Pad 39A tour took us inside the fence and the bus took the road around the pad. They stopped and let us off the bus for about 15 minutes to take pics... but we were still about 200 yards away, I'd guesstimate. We didn't get to go up to the pad itself, not like really close or anything, obviously... too many fall hazards and it'd be like herding cats... we drove right next to the LOX sphere and LH2 sphere, all the way around the pad, saw the blast deflectors for the SRB sides from the bus from about 20 feet away, and we saw where the astronaut "slide wires" end at the 'soccer nets' where they dive down the tunnel to the "blast shelter" near the road, where the APC would be sitting... and we drove real close and stopped for pics (from the bus of course) of the hypergol fueling facility that fuels the manuevering engines and thrusters on the shuttle. Really cool. We crossed the crawlerway at the foot of the ramp up to the pad and could see the tracks... that was REALLY cool!!! Then we drove BY Pad 39B which has been razed to the ground basically (FSS and RSS have been torched up for scrap) because they're going back to the "clean pad" approach for (before it was canceled, Ares I) and SLS. Saw the crawler and the Ares I MLP/tower, which they built prior to it getting canceled and is now to be redesigned for SLS. Lots of pics of course. REALLY cool stuff... We also went to the Air Force Munitions museum at Eglin AFB in Ft. Walton, Florida on the way home... spent a few hours and managed to snap an astounding 879 photos while I was there... LOL:)
Got lots of neat reference shots for building rockets... while I was at the pads, I took a lot of overlapping pics at different zoom levels, designed so I can stitch them together in the computer to make panoramas... that was a hobby of mine back in the 35mm film camera days, taping the prints together to make panoramas. Now you can do it in the computer with software (which I have to find, get, and learn how to use...LOL:)) Anyway, should be fun...

I'll post a few pics here when I can... Later! OL JR :)

I'll see what I can do on the pics count... :) Later! OL JR :)

Back