Annual Pollard Elem School launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflis

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Back in June of 2003 I was contacted for our first educational order for FlisKits. In this case they not only bought rocket kits (Flea) but also hired me to deliver the class.

We used this as an opportunity to "train the trainer" and the teacher from each class participated in the build and learned not only how to build a kit but how to deliver a build class at the same time.

Every year since, Pollard Elementary School has purchased kits from us, built them then invited me to help them fly. I would begin this session with them by delivering the kits and staying on for an hour or so to give a lecture about model rocketry and field questions.

While on my way to *this* years launch I was doing the math in my head and realized that the first class I taught way back in 2003 will become Seniors in High School next year... So hard to believe!

This years launch was fantastic! 100 Thing-a-ma-Jig kits screaming into the air on A8-3 motors. The paint jobs that these kids applied to these models was simply incredible. No two looked alike. And they all flew great too!

We had some issues with engine mounts not properly glued in, but that was easily fixed (alone with a few broken fins) on the field with CA, so everyone got to fly.

We lost 2 to the trees but that's it. During one of the launches (we had 4 different classes of 25 spread throughout the day) we had nearly the entire school (students and faculty) sitting on the grass watching and cheering.

One of the strangest moments came as I was leaving the office to go set up the launch equipment. The school buses had arrived and I heard a chores of "Hey! Mr. Flis!" as kids (current and previous years kids) hung out the bus windows to wave.

Way kewl :)

I have uploaded the photo album (about 140 pictures), but no captions (just not enough time...). You can find the album by Clicking this Link.

Some of the better photo's are attached here:
  • Getting those pesky clips attached
  • The results of a proper connection!
  • Satisfaction and cheers from the class!
  • Boys and girls all enjoyed the experience (and an extra hour out doors didn't hurt LOL)
  • Even the parents came and help out with their kids!

All in all, a great day!

Later this week we have our last class with the Boys & Girls club but the weather doesn't look good enough for a launch, so that may get canceled...

DSC03231.jpeg

DSC03236.jpeg

DSC03244.jpeg

DSC03245.jpeg

DSC03272.jpeg

Last edited:
While on my way to *this* years launch I was doing the math in my head and realized that the first class I taught way back in 2003 will become Seniors in High School next year... So hard to believe!

... During one of the launches (we had 4 different classes of 25 spread throughout the day) we had nearly the entire school (students and faculty) sitting on the grass watching and cheering.

... The school buses had arrived and I heard a chores of "Hey! Mr. Flis!" as kids (current and previous years kids) hung out the bus windows to wave.

• Satisfaction and cheers from the class!
  • Boys and girls all enjoyed the experience (and an extra hour out doors didn't hurt LOL)
  • Even the parents came and help out with their kids!

All in all, a great day!
That's what it's all about, isn't it, Jim? Great post! :)

:wave:

MarkII

Back