Aerotech F23-4FJ Single use

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonsoffun

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just got into the mid power stuff to raise the level of excitement:jaw: . Anyways, I have a AT F23-4FJ and noticed the red plug at the top, am I correct in saying this would pop off when it injects? These type of motors are new too me and the first mid power rocket I have picked is a Aerotech Initiator.

Thanks guys, and glad to be here with you experts!

Hey guys,

...would pop off when it injects?

Sorry, but I have to play Grammar police here... It should be ejects, not injects. Now, that red plug holds in the BP for the ejection charge. So yes, that will pop off when the ejection charge goes off.

Sorry, but I have to play Grammar police here... It should be ejects, not injects. Now, that red plug holds in the BP for the ejection charge. So yes, that will pop off when the ejection charge goes off.

Like Blackbrandt said, that rubber cap contains the Black powder for the ejection charge.

BTW, you're gonna love that F23! Lots of black smoke, and it's a great motor to get introduced to AP!

Really BB? Your first comment to someone brand new is to correct there grammar?
Tonsoffun- welcome aboard.
While I don't post often, I know that isn't how we treat a brand new member. Congratulations on your move into Mid power. You will find it exciting. You can learn a lot by reading old and new forums here. There are also a lot of great people here that have much more expercience than me or BB. I hope one persons initial commentary doesn't discourage you from what a great site this is. As BB did mention the red cap will pop off at ejection. Make sure after you recover rocket you make sure red plug comes out of rocket. This is really important if your rocket is using mesh as a baffle ( a lot of Aereotech rockets come with mesh for baffles).

Let us know how your launch goes.

Just checked the F23-4FJ with the Initiator on OR...thought the delay might be a little short.

Looks like it'll be fine...still doing 17ft/s when 'chute deploys, but that shouldn't do any damage. The other delay option on the F23-FJ (7 seconds) is WAY too long. I *THINK* I've actually flown MY Initiator on the F23-4FJ come to think of it...

Oh, and....welcome to TRF!

Be sure to pop said little red cap out of your recovery baffle each launch! If you always keep the nosecone pointed to the ground while removing/loading motors they start to build up...

LOL yes, I meant ejects, its been a long day!. Thanks for all the help guys, I will be sure to clean the caps out of the rocket.

And don't worry, those comments will not discourage me at all. I am a super moderator on a large forum (Over 600,000 members) and I am familar with useless comments like that.

Take care!

Last edited:
You will enjoy MPR with all the noise and flames. Be careful with the red caps when separating them. I dumped BP all over the place when the halves seperated all of a sudden. Luckily all the BP fell into a plastic container that I store my e-matches in. Good and have fun.

You will enjoy MPR with all the noise and flames. Be careful with the red caps when separating them. I dumped BP all over the place when the halves seperated all of a sudden. Luckily all the BP fell into a plastic container that I store my e-matches in. Good and have fun.
Don't confuse him, the F23 is a single use motor.

and not that easy to pop out of the well :). dunno one could say that the ejection gasses are injected into the body tube...:).
welcome to the forum
rex

Great first MPR kit, and that motor is perfect for a first flight, It'll do probably about 800'. I've built a bunch of MPR, and still enjoy the occasional AT kit build. Before you get to the field, check the fit of the copperhead igniter, occasionally they're made with too much pyrogen, and are difficult to fit into the motor. Welcome to MPR and AP!

Thanks guys! Well, she is all built and ready to fire off! Should be fun. Looks like rain for today so might be tomorrow for the launch, lucky for our long weekend!

You guys are great, thanks for the reply's.

Well, the launch with my Initiator was incredible! It smoked (No pun intended) off my pad. Got some good video from my Blackberry. I found the red caps which just fell out after taking the motor out:)

Now, which motor to try next! Thanks again guys for the help.

Well, the launch with my Initiator was incredible! It smoked (No pun intended) off my pad. Got some good video from my Blackberry. I found the red caps which just fell out after taking the motor out:)

Great to hear! I guess you're hooked on AP motors now, huh?

For a different look, try one of the FJ motors...huge column of black smoke follows it up :wink:

Edit: OOPS! You flew the FJ THIS time. Sorry, I was thinking of a similar post where the flyer used a Blue Thunder. awsieger is right, the white's are quite impressive as is the redline with it's laser red flame. I was trying to find the AeroTech chart that shows the various propellant types...anyone?

Last edited:

Those Smoky motors sure are fun...
Redline! Redline! Redline! The F27-6R is my favorite Initiator motor, only seconded to a G40-7W (the G40 goes HIGH though).

Those Smoky motors sure are fun...
Redline! Redline! Redline! The F27-6R is my favorite Initiator motor, only seconded to a G40-7W (the G40 goes HIGH though).
Did you mean F27-4R? The F27 is my favorite EconoJet; I like the LMS version so the delay can be tweaked. I wish there was a redline F for the 29/40-120 case.

Did you mean F27-4R? The F27 is my favorite EconoJet; I like the LMS version so the delay can be tweaked. I wish there was a redline F for the 29/40-120 case.

Yes, I did. In which case the 8 might work better... I wish there were more delays available for that motor.

And CTI Has a 3-grain 29mm Red Lightning G125 and G54 (With a 3-second burn!). Alas, the Aerotech Redline propellant has a much better red flame than the CTI Red Lightning...

Yes, I did. In which case the 8 might work better... I wish there were more delays available for that motor.

And CTI Has a 3-grain 29mm Red Lightning G125 and G54 (With a 3-second burn!). Alas, the Aerotech Redline propellant has a much better red flame than the CTI Red Lightning...
Not to mention CTI also has the H410 29mm 3 grain V-max...:dark:

Dog on a porkchop? What do you mean?

Haha...just kidding Matt :wink:

Just means that you seem to be fixated on the CTI H410 as you mention it often. It's a good thing really...means you're confident in your motor choice.

I mean, what could be cooler than like a 1 pound rocket on an H410?

Welcome aboard!
Oh yeah.....
You are going to get a kick out of AP mid-power motors. My first AP motor was an AT F40, and I was standing WAY to close to the pad (less than six feet and yes I know it was a dumb thing to do). Have been flying BP for years and was pretty jaded towards smoke and flame, that is until the launch button was pushed.
My response to the noise and smoke and performance was a stunned "Mother of God...."

I have a plan for and the materials for a 6 ounce rocket to fly on a CTI H410, much cooler than a one-pound rocket on an H410. It was going to accelerate at 160 g's. The only rockets that could better that would be a paper F240 rocket or a minimum weight I1299 rocket. But the parts are going to another project instead.

Latest posts

Back