OTOMAT / OTO-Melara MILAS build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JordanT

Reaction score
So this is my first scale-ish build from scratch. I ran across this cruise missile when looking for some data on the Harpoon AGM and it just looked like a rocket I needed to take a crack at.

The scale is about 1:5.15 and based around a LOC 3" tube. The goal is to make it Class 1 and, ideally, flyable on a big F or moderate G. The RockSim file has an F52 flying about 330ft, G76 to 850ft, with a G76 loaded mass that's pushing 1.4kg.

I'll admit there are several things I'm not sure how to build - though I've got solid ideas for everything but the air intakes under the main fins and the boat tail. I'm building the torpedo/ASW version in the middle and bottom of the page.

Most of the basic parts are ordered and are due in next week...we'll see how things go.

(FWIW, I built a rocksim model of the OTOMAT Mk II and it needed 6-8oz of weight in the nose to be stable)

MILAS_MBDA.jpg

2978497209_a47c8d54b8_b.jpg

milas1.jpg

otomat scale.jpg

View attachment Otomat Milas.rkt

So this is my first scale-ish build from scratch. I ran across this cruise missile when looking for some data on the Harpoon AGM and it just looked like a rocket I needed to take a crack at.

Wow... you are biting off a lot if you are gonna follow closely. So whatch gonna do for a nose cone? You got a lot of fairing work ahead too (unless you punt on it). But an interesting subject for sure!

Subscribed
:pop::pop::pop::pop::pop:

Oh, I should say that the available data on this bird is VERY slim, so there's going to have to be some eyeball scaling done. The actual missile never went into production as far as I can tell - just development and a dozen or two tests. I think (though I'm not 100% certain) that the hemisphere nose is the same as the actual size of a 3" paper ball shell for fireworks, and I'm probably going to see if I can get a friend to mail me one (fingers crossed). The side boosters are dead ringers for an Estes BT60A, to within a few hundredths if my picture of them scales correctly.

on the nosecone try looking at the 99cent or $1 stores at their drinking glasses.ive used them for nosecones and also molds for fibreglass noses depending on size. lots of good stuff for ideas there also ck out goodwill's and other junk stores

While I'm waiting for parts to arrive, I'm contemplating the nose cone "section". My intent into have the torpedo section separate from the booster, as would be the case in a real deployment. As part of that, I'm trying to get the rear of the torpedo to be modeled after a real MU-90 torpedo with a hard point in the center of the rear impeller for a shock cord. I'm also seriously considering a two-piece recovery with the torpedo coming down under its own chute.

The fins are pretty straight forward, but there's a conical prop shroud that was giving me cold sweats. It occurs to me that it might be possible to fashion two conical sections (nose cone, but with card stock), each built like a transition. One come would have the splice on the inside of the cone, the other would have the splice on the outside of the cone. Then take one and fill/coat it with epoxy with a high fumed silica load and drop the second one inside, essentially creating an epoxy gap of 1/8"or so. Stabilization/roundness could be maintained in a guide holes cut in foam core or plywood. Once cures I should be able to cut the cone to length, and potentially slot it for the fins.

Back