4th August 2012, 07:56 PM
OpenRocket: Fails to save some configuration values
I have noticed four cases where OpenRocket fails to save newly entered rocket configuration values. There could be more I suppose.
I used OpenRocket to open a .rkt file created by RockSim version 8. I edited a number of fields and in all cases the rocket diagram updated correctly to reflect my changes. However, after saving the file (using Save As to create a new file), closing the file, then reloading the file from disk, I saw that four values I changed had reverted to their original values (also reverted in the diagram). These were:
1. Parachute configuration > Packed length - reverted to 0.984 in
2. Mass component configuration > General > Diameter - reverted to o.984 in
3. Mass component configuration > Radial position - reverted to 0.0 in
4. Mass component configuration > Radial position - reverted to 0.0 deg
The value 0.984 is not a value I would have entered in either program. I can't fold a parachute that precisely :>) Unfortunately, I no longer have a working version of RockSim so I can't check what I actually entered with that program.
Has anyone else experienced a similar loss of entered values?
4th August 2012, 08:00 PM
Can you post the original rkt file and the work file? I have not seen this problem.
4th August 2012, 08:33 PM
I went through several iterations of changes with similarly named files, but I will attach a Rocksim file and an OpenRocket file that should be representative of the problem.
RockSim filename: Fantom-Extended-38mm-Sim.rkt
Latest OpenRocket filename: Fantom-Extended-38mm-No motor,no elec,48in Para 2.rkt
4th August 2012, 08:55 PM
If you save as RKT file, you may lose some design information that RockSim does not support, such as packed size of recovery devices. When using OpenRocket you should always save in ORK format, and only save to RKT when you need to move the design from OpenRocket to RockSim.
4th August 2012, 09:45 PM
Thank you. I just tried saving the parachute packed length change in ORK format and it was successful. I really have no need to keep using RKT files, so ORK it shall be from now on.
I'm so glad it was my error because that's so easy to fix.
Tags for this Thread