5" Gizmo

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EeebeeE

Reaction score
My Wildman 5" Gizmo arrived yesterday and apart from some sanding, it looks like everything fits real well. Should be a fun build, and a little more capable of handling the power I like to put in my rockets.

My CTI 54mm 4-grain case looks like it should fit in there pretty well. I have a couple spacers so if anyone can make suggestions for motors 2-4 grain range, I'd love to hear them.

Also, if anyone has set up dual deploy in the nosecone, I'd love to hear some ideas.

You should enjoy it. Mine does nicely on the J1055. I didn't set mine up for Dual-Deploy (I used the nose of mine as an avionics area for tracking and recording altimeter) but if you search, I am pretty sure that GaryT setup his GizmoXL (before the DD version was available) for DD using the nose.

You'll like the Giz. I like both mine. The 1st I built and the 2nd was already built and they both have weighted and foamed NC's. So if I wanted to use any electronics I would have to get another nose cone and set it up for DD. Hey that sounds like a good idea. I'll be watching the way you set yours up. I like the way GaryT set up his NC on his GizmoXL. If you search GizmoXL, you'll find his build.

I thought about getting one, and still might. I posted something in the plan section titled Gizmo Mods. The plans are for adding and removing noseweight, and can be adapted to include dd when the motor is short enough. When the motor is long, though, I say put the altimeter into the fincan or off to one side of the nc and use a tender descender

I thought about getting one, and still might. I posted something in the plan section titled Gizmo Mods. The plans are for adding and removing noseweight, and can be adapted to include dd when the motor is short enough. When the motor is long, though, I say put the altimeter into the fincan or off to one side of the nc and use a tender descender

Regarding adding and removing noseweight... The initial plan for mine was just that but ended up being converted for electronics instead. The basic structure can be seen in my build thread but instead of the electronics sled, I had a piece of BT-60 with aluminium tube epoxied to each side that slid over the all-thread. The idea was that the BT-60 could be filled with various amounts of lead thus facilitating varying nose weight. In the end I just ended up adding about a pound or two of lead epoxied into the nose and found it sufficient to provide stability for any 1-3 grain 54mm load. Even though the nose cone bulkhead is moved a good bit forward on mine, I think a 4 grain case would be about the most I could accommodate with my recovery gear.

EeeBee, Make sure you do a build thread... Would love to see how this progresses.

I will. It will be a separate thread because I do not know when I will start the project.

My Wildman 5" Gizmo arrived yesterday and apart from some sanding, it looks like everything fits real well. Should be a fun build, and a little more capable of handling the power I like to put in my rockets.

My CTI 54mm 4-grain case looks like it should fit in there pretty well. I have a couple spacers so if anyone can make suggestions for motors 2-4 grain range, I'd love to hear them.

Also, if anyone has set up dual deploy in the nosecone, I'd love to hear some ideas.

Yep, a 4 grain case fits nicely in there!:D I last flew my Gizmo on a CTI 1g I140 Skid..Was an awesome flight! I am thinking a 3 grain J360 will REALLY be spectacular! Thinking I MAY fly that motor in my 'Gizzy' at Freedom Launch! Or maybe doing the 'Wildman' go for a 4g K454!:eyepop:

I am going to go dual deploy so I can use a K454. Awesome motor. Open Rocket says it should go a mile up, according to the DD configuration I am contemplating. Of course a K2045 could cause a sonic boom.

I added a 4 foot piece of airframe and a coupler to make mine taller and used the normal dual deploy. This way, I can either fly it short or tall. My picture is of it flying on a K1000 Skidmark.

I saw one recently that had both a AV bay and nose weight that were removal in the nose. It has the nose weight forward and retained by a bulkhead, washer, and nut. The AV have was just aft to that. If you want adjustable weight, put a threaded rod down the center and make washers of lead. You can buy led at bass pro shop. It is easy. I can make a diagram if needed.

Flew my Gizmo for the second time. This time on a CTI K454. A lot of motor for a little rocket. After a cloudy day the sky cleared and made for a spectacular flight. Unfortunately, the battery came loose from the terminal and I lost my altimeter. So the only ejection charge was the motor ejection which fired out the drogue chute. Minor fin damage to one fin. Certainly repairable. Nice thing is I still have the charges ready to go.

Note to self, tape the battery to the terminals.

Great flight, though. It was pushing Mach 1. Here's the video.

[YOUTUBE]uTUoHqq1GkE&feature[/YOUTUBE]

Oh yeah. I'm surprised it survived. No damage to it, though

My battery is heavily secured in the bay. The problem was that the 9v connectors, which snap in place, came loose.

Back