square rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great idea for un upscale and it should be challenging. What glue did you use?

I'd like more information on the original. I'd like to put the finished product here in the gallery when you have it done.

For now, though, I am moving this thread to the LPR section. That's for builds. THe gallery is for the finished product.

I'm intrigued.

P1010643.jpgP1010641.jpg im useing 5 min epoxy and when i get done it be approx 3in x 50 in tall with a 29 or 38 mm mount. im going to have to try and dig up the info on this rocket if i can because i bought it in the 90s from Discount Rocketry when Kevin Funk owned it before he passed away heres the lay-up of the nose and completed nosecone

I like it! :) The design kinda looks like a square AMRAAM to me, but with the front fins farther back. I like the shape of the nose cone, too-- very unique.
What type/thickness of wood are you using? Are you going to paint it? If I were you, I'd just stain and varnish it.

Mods, maybe move this to the Mid- or High-power forum instead? 29/38mm motor mount is sounding kinda big for LPR. :wink:

Do you have the name of the particular Stellar Dimension kit?

There is a kit on Apogee Components that looks just like the original picture. Not sure of the name, but it is there.

Anywho, this looks awesome! I really like unique rockets like this. It should be interesting how you mount the motors.

im going to have to dig deep in my garage to see if i can find the name of this rocket. i was a good friend of Kevin Funk and i used to go over to his house and get rockets from him and id be the guinea pig on alot of rockets.so i might have the instructions somewhere or a catalog from discount rocketry.on the mounting of the motor, squares with circles are easy.i'll have to dig up some pics of other stuff ive built or ck out some of my albums. i'll add more on my day off

im going to have to dig deep in my garage to see if i can find the name of this rocket. i was a good friend of Kevin Funk and i used to go over to his house and get rockets from him and id be the guinea pig on alot of rockets.so i might have the instructions somewhere or a catalog from discount rocketry.on the mounting of the motor, squares with circles are easy.i'll have to dig up some pics of other stuff ive built or ck out some of my albums. i'll add more on my day off

I very much appreciate any info you can provide.

Thanks.

There is a kit on Apogee Components that looks just like the original picture. Not sure of the name, but it is there.

Anywho, this looks awesome! I really like unique rockets like this. It should be interesting how you mount the motors.

That would be one of the Newway rockets. Apogee is now a distributor. BTW, they're great kits.

I like it! :) The design kinda looks like a square AMRAAM to me, but with the front fins farther back. I like the shape of the nose cone, too-- very unique.
What type/thickness of wood are you using? Are you going to paint it? If I were you, I'd just stain and varnish it.

Mods, maybe move this to the Mid- or High-power forum instead? 29/38mm motor mount is sounding kinda big for LPR. :wink:

wood is 1/8 in ply and im going to stain it may be a nice cherry ive got scraps of wood to test colors. i used to build furniture after school in high school

Nice work on the build!..I LOVE the Wedge Nosecone!

Pentagon or Octagon rockets?....I know Triangles have been done to death.

I have surplus flooring around here....Hmmm.

Last edited:
The Stellar Dimension kit in question is the Dartan. I actually was going to try and purchase what was left of Stellar Dimensions a couple of years ago. It was listed on EBay. Those square rockets with my square rockets made since to me. I ended up not going for it. So, someone out there did buy it and now has the remaining stock of Stellar Dimension kits and lots of laser cut parts. They don't seem to have done anything with it yet. I feel like Stellar was just a bit ahead of itself with the all laser cut parts. They actually patented the concept of square rockets made from laser cut wood. They did not however patent using square cardboard tubes like NewWay Space Models rocket kits. That I'm glad of. Here's their flyer. We had started using "Dare 2B Square" before I ever saw this flyer that used a version of the same slogan.

Stellar_Dimensions_Inc-Flyer.jpg

Last edited:
Rick.

Thanks for posting the ad. Neat kits. There are quite a few of them that would have been fun to build.

Cool build so far! I'll be sure to watch your progress. I might have to grab one of those square Goblin kits for myself. :)

The Stellar Dimension kit in question is the Dartan. I actually was going to try and purchase what was left of Stellar Dimensions a couple of years ago. It was listed on EBay. Those square rockets with my square rockets made since to me. I ended up not going for it. So, someone out there did buy it and now has the remaining stock of Stellar Dimension kits and lots of laser cut parts. They don't seem to have done anything with it yet. I feel like Stellar was just a bit ahead of itself with the all laser cut parts. They actually patented the concept of square rockets made from laser cut wood. They did not however patent using square cardboard tubes like NewWay Space Models rocket kits. That I'm glad of. Here's their flyer. We had started using "Dare 2B Square" before I ever saw this flyer that used a version of the same slogan.
thanks for all the cool info. i dont know if you realize but the rocket is a tumble rocovery. on motor ejection the rocket just breaks in half and falls in 2 pieces held together by a nylon coated steel wire. ill send a pic of it in the 2 pcs when i start taking pics again. my upscale will pop the nose with a chute , little to heavy for tumble recovery:flyingpig:

I have a Spinnaker and a Xandune

2011-01-17-Inventory-0118.jpg
2011-01-17-Inventory-0086.jpg

I still have a Vector in service which I fly occasionally. They were not the most well thought out designs (as far as assembly and materials).

got to building again today I work a wierd split shift.here are pics of motor mount,fins being cut out,(tube) being slotted and epoxied on P1010644.jpgP1010648.jpgP1010650.jpgP1010652.jpgP1010655.jpg

I may have missed something.... But why are the fins not straight? It seems to me spin stabilization is unnecessary for a rocket like this.

i think the fins are canted to overcome the fact that the not round nosecone might make the rocket pull to one side just like the channel on the wac corppral

i think the fins are canted to overcome the fact that the not round nosecone might make the rocket pull to one side just like the channel on the wac corppral

Sense the nose cone has the same angle on both sides, I think it would be fine...

I have made some nose cones out of foam for LPR and they were not round AT ALL and it worked fine.

Well the little rocket has canted fins... and he made a up scale so it has canted fins also.

Back